News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re:Did he really compare himself to Michelangelo?
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »
Dan, perhaps your are more Irish than my half...  Two well known S.O.I., Frank McCort and David Feherty, might moreso go along with my sentiments...  :-\ :)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »
RJ, you said, "I tend to believe the biography of Giorgio Vasari when contemplating the authenticity of Michelangelo and his works and times..."

I am quite familiar with Vasari's biography of Leonardo Da Vinci, but was unaware of his having written about #2!  

KBanks

« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2007, 06:37:44 PM »
Who was the architect, who, when one of his courses was praised to the High Heavens, apparently didn't admit to agreeing with that description but merely said he felt the course might be the least bad he ever did?

That's my kind of architect and remark.

Have you ever noticed how really good humor appropriately applied in golf architecture or about it may represent things that really endure?

That's why I love Brian Silva---eg he may be the funniest architect in the world.

If you call him up and ask him what he's been doing he may say something like he's spent the last several months in Maine designing and building the best 427sf ladies tee the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.

Tom, the "least bad" quote is properly attributed to H.S, Colt, in referring to Swinley Forest.

I agree with you, the remark is appealing because of its self-deprecatory nature.

Tom Doak, who by the way is a hell of a good writer on GCA, provided further context for Colt's remark by saying that most golf architects would kill to have a course as good as Swinley on their resume.

Ken

RJ_Daley

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2007, 01:31:47 AM »
Philip:

http://www.artist-biography.info/artist/michelangelo_buonaroti/

http://www.artist-biography.info/

Please excuse me if I'm over my head and slightly off in my recollections.  But, I am 40 years past my college classes and interests in Renaissance Art History and Culture.  some of it sticks, selectively...  ::) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back