News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Southern Hills Hole 6 discussion
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »
Hole 6 – 200 yards

One of the changes put in place since the 2001 US Open has been the creation of a back tee in another move to add distance.  The hole can effectively play in a varied set of ways.  The original tees look directly through the entrance of the green between two deep bunkers.  The creek makes a re-appearance as it runs diagonally through the hole from the tee to the left of the green.  From the original tees, the water is only in play for a pull-hook.  
The alternate tees may well be in play during the tournament and they present an entirely new view of the green and create an almost mirror image of the 12th at Augusta National.  The bunker on the left side of the protects the entire front of the green.  I wonder if the bank will be shaved closely instead of containing the famed Southern Hills rough and allowing shots to roll back into the water.     ::)
Like Augusta, swirling winds above the tree tops will be a factor for the players, but their unfamiliarity (unlike Augusta) with the course could lead to some interesting results.  
The green is protected short by a false front and a large roll in the middle front.  The green also slopes from back to front.  The portion of green on the back left could be a key pin during the tournament.  With the alternate tees in play, this will likely be the home of at least one hole location in the tournament and will create the most difficult pin on the hole.  Any pins on the right will be best used with the original tees, otherwise they will be defenseless against the world’s best players.  But as with the third, if the back tees are used, the hole will be requiring mid-irons hit into it when the original intent was to have a shortish par three.

Hole layout minus the alternate tees to the left.

2 photos of the hole from the original tees.

Hole 5 thread

wsmorrison

Re:Southern Hills Hole 6 discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:02:47 AM »
In going with no evidence other than the drawing and the photograph, why didn't Maxwell use the wonderful diagonal of the stream to be the predominant hazard for this hole?  It would seem a better use of the natural feature to align the hole so that the green was closer to the stream and use the diagonal better.  The shape of the green as is, is perfect for this.  

Given the tee location and angle of play, the stream is not in play at all.  Is this the original green site?  Has the stream moved?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:04:12 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Chris_Clouser

Re:Southern Hills Hole 6 discussion
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:22:47 AM »
Wayne,

I'm not sure why Maxwell did it this way on this particular hole.  He had several instances in his career that he used a template style of hole that was hard pressed against water with a similar angle of play.  

I do not believe the stream has been moved.

The new tees that will be used I believe will increase the prominence of the stream.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back