News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Memorial Day
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »
There are but a few old great men that still walk among us.  Thankfully there are many more middle aged great men about and even more great young men who always seem to be coming or going.

Outwardly, there was only one thing unique about my uncle - he was somewhat of a buffoon, one might say.  Otherwise he lead a simple life with a simple occupation.  Few knew what I knew:  that he fought in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.  I still remember the day we went to pick him up from the airport in Memphis.  I wish I'd understood then that it was the end of a remarkable military career.  I wish I would have thanked him and held him in much higher regard.  

John Hendren is among the great men and women we remember and honor today.  I'm so very proud of him.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Doug Ralston

Re:Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
Thank you for the memory. It bring my own memories into focus.

My Brother was drafted, and went to Vietnam in 1967. Stayed there 13 months. When he left, he was a jolly, laughing scoundrel. He never missed an opportunity to see something funny, especially at someone else's expense. When he returned from the Army he was cold, cruel, and completely self-centered. No laughter, I believe, has passed his lips since.

My brother told me he despised the 'Gooks', but didn't believe we should be fighting them. OTOH, he had to go, so I should have to go also!

It is now nearly 40ys since those 'good ole days', and my brother and I haven't spoken 10 words to each other in that time. Couldn't ask for more.

Being trained in psychology, and seeing my brother's sociopathology, I state without regards to politics: It is horrific for anyone to go to war who does it 'knowing' their acts cannot be justified. It is certain mental disintegration.

I honor those whose hearts are in serving for causes they truly believe. Never forget that they do it for mostly selfless reasons, and sacrifices made that way raise the standard for all of us. This IS a day to remember them.

But also never forget that those they oppose serve too, also for reasons they often whole hearted uphold. Such people, on either side, are not easily defeated.

And we are left to live with what we, sadly, found 'no alternative' for.

Doug

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »

It is definitely a day to remember them....
OT slightly.....a few months ago a Golfweek rater informed me that the nice older man I had met while doing a project in Madison Georgia was a survivor of Iwo Jima.  this man is 83 years old and has won a few club championships at Atlanta Atletic club but at the time had moved to the course I was building and would drive the fairway unit during growin....to have something to do....
a few weeks ago I purchased 6 copies of "Flags of Our Fathers" and metioned to him that I had some books I would like for him to sign...he looked surprised and said he would be glad to sign....then he started to talk a little.....said he remembered seeing the flag go up......and knew they would get no more fire from that hill....
Lot of guys walking around out there that don't talk about it....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:50:44 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:03:58 PM »
Doug,

Please don't put the terrorists some of my friends are fighting today on the same level as our American troops.  Sometimes evil people need to be killed.  I hope anyone who does not believe in freedom, civil rights or forgiveness burns in hell.  Today is a day to remember the good guys.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:07:49 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »
John;

I like you, but be careful. I did NOT put terrorists on the same level, I simply pointed out that they often believe in their righteousness too. I assure you I am on 'our' side, not theirs.

But it is important to also understand your enemy, so that at some point they may become other than your enemy. Remember Germans and Japanese?

I WILL always lament the weaknesses on all sides that lead to this insanity, when no viable alternative presents.

Never suggest that trying to understand is equivalent to siding with. As you know, I am purposely avoiding politics, but I am very tired of THAT lie being told!

Doug

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:58:13 PM »
Doug.

I am fortunate to know the man who pushed the button that killed Timothy McVeigh...I don't think he has lost one nights sleep in regret.

Why do people start these oft topic theads.  Doesn't anyone have a friend outside this site anymore to celebrate, cry or kick ass with.  Leave this mealy mouth stuff for reality where it counts.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 10:41:06 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tim Bert

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »
John -

These topics get started in an innocent manner because someone means well (and is probably tired of reading 20 pages about cheater lines.)  Then they always turn personal and political.

Happy Memorial Day everyone.  Thank you to all those that have served our nation both past and present.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:19:52 PM »
Tim;

I hope you note that this turned neither personal nor political on my account. I responded to a story that held meaning for Michael on this day with one that had meaning for me, speaking about the meaning. It was immeadiately twisted into something totally unrelated and completely out of context.

It has become popular to imply that divergent insights = betrayal. Not just in politics. Have you noticed?

Doug

PS: Sorry if I sound defensive. A sore spot.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 11:30:12 PM »
My Dad was one of those no nonsense service men - fighter pilots, F6F Hellcats, an ace with five planes shot down, flew off the Lexington from '42-44.  Shot down once himself.

Had a career with a big company, retired, and died soon after, not knowing what to do with himself in retirement.  I think of him as fairly protyptical of that generation.

What does that have to do with golf course architecture?  Well, he always thought it was kind of a waste of my talents, because of his life and lifestyle.  I remember his exact words when I announced my intentions to be a gca (at age 12, no less) -  "Son, don't you want to do something where you use your brain?"  Of course, some would argue that I haven't used my brain very much in my career.  ;)

But the point is that our generation can feel free to devote itself to frivoulous things, like a gca.com website whereas that generation had better things to do - like fight for our freedom and build greater economic wealth for the next generation.  But I wonder if he would have approved of this kind of use of free time.......or the apparent importance we place on the arguments of disagreements we have here on gca.com.  I think he would say it was kind of a waste of energy to disagree about something like a golf course.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 11:31:08 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 12:16:28 AM »
I would like to see a list of GCAs that have had distinguished service careers.  Of course "The Captain" Geroge C. Thomas comes immediately to mind for his WWI service.  

I believe our George Bahto was a flight engineer in Korea, and wasn't Des Muirhead also in the RAF?  Of course this can go to the Good Dr. and his service in the Boer War.  Many of the bios in C&Ws book include mention of the archies' service to their countries.

I think that many of the armed service Vets have taken to golf over the years and used golf to great theraputic advantage.  And, perhaps there is a soldier at this very minute using some down time in the "green zone" doodling away at a potential golf hole or routing a course in his mind through some terrain he recently scouted through on a recent mission.  

I don't think that weary servicemen would necessarily think that GCA is a waste of time, because it is creating a place to go as a retreat and proof that people can act far more civil to one another in a proper inspiring setting, with a sporting activity of honorable competition, replacing a field of agression and hatred.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
Well said Bogie. I hope our future leaders make the number who sacrifice for our Country, our freedom and our way of life as few as possible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back