News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re:The Ocean Course on TV This Week
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »
Based on what I saw today, I would guess that The Ocean Course would replace Shinnecock if the Shinnecock membership tires of hosting the US Open. It certainly is visually more interesting than Colonial.

redanman

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 09:41:13 AM »
The Ocean Course did not disappoint.*

Mike and everyone at Kiawah hearty congratulations, the course was perfect and the tournament was fantastic.

*You will have to now pry my HD Samsung from my cold dead hands after watching a tournament at The Ocean Course.  WOW!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 10:10:06 AM »
What's with bunkers not playing as hazards?  Does that apply to normal play?

I couldn't believe the guy taking an unplayable in a bunker and dropping 2 clublengths outside the bunker.  Some would call that cheating - not by the player, but by the committee.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
Dan,

The areas you're describing are neither bunkers nor hazards. Although the Ocean Course is very much a manufactured thing, the theory is that it consists of fairways and greens built in what's basically a vast sandy area with stands of native grasses and occasional water features. So just off the fairways are large areas with little or no grass but they are "through the green" in the same way as rough grass or woods would be on another course.

So the architect chose to create no "bunkers" per se and to let the sandy surroundings provide challenges to the golfers. Different challenges than constructed bunkers but legitimate challenges.

The only two valid critcisms of this arrangement, in my humble opinion, are these:

First, an argument could be made that conventionally designed and constructed bunkers result in a better playing field than the sandy areas at the Ocean Course. I see the the point but having played there I think the Ocean Course is as fun and challenging as any course would ever need to be and I disagree that it would be improved by hazards in the form of maintained bunkers. There are thousands of golf courses in the world with plain old bunkers but the Ocean Course is a different kind of course.

Second, one could argue that since the fairways are built above the original grade so as to capture drainage water and contain it to the course as a result the sandy areas are as much the result of the hand of man as any manufactured and maintained bunker. In other words, if you built it and it has sand in it then it much de jure be a bunker. My position is that any feature which is legitimate when naturally occurring is legitimate when manufactured by the hand of man but I suspect that is a minority opinion on this forum.

There are Rules of Golf specifying legal play from bunkers as well as giving a definition of "bunker" as a prepared area from which the earth is removed and replaced with sand. There is no Rule saying that any grassless spot of sandy soil must be surrounded by a boundary and maintained as a "bunker", nor should there be.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:27:55 AM by Brent Hutto »

Tom Renli

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »
I agree, the course was interesting to see, much more so than Wentworth or Colonial.  Fuzzy's concern over no sand and the bunker being hard seems overdone, that surface is still playable.  I believe the reason nothing was playing as a bunker is that balls were plugging in the faces of some bunkers.  Can you drop/take an unplayable from a hazard?  Is it common for balls to plug in the bunker faces at TOC?  Isn't this something they would look to change?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
Brent, you're right, of course..

I was just being in a goofy mood :)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
It looked great even without HDTV.
Congratulations Mike.

I haven't played the new 18.
The TV commentary and the players that I saw hit their tee shot to the left center portion of the FW.   If they were too far left - a bit anyway - the ball would funnel back.
Yet from above it looks like the play was to be as close to the rt fwy bunker as possible due to the green angle & shape especially the sunday pin and it looked like a better visual with an open approach.
It appears as if they don't care or it isn't worth risking the right fwy bunker for a better approach shot.

Did anyone make birdie from the right side near the bunker?

Mike - did you see much strategy on 18 or elsewhere?

Do you aim for the right or left side of the fairway when playing?

Thank you.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back