News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

What great courses have you played *a lot*?
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:01:09 AM »
Pat Mucci's comment in his maintenance meld thread about having played the course in question 50+ times jogged my memory about a thread I'd been meaning to start. I believe you're likely to learn the most about architecture when you have the chance to experience a great course extensively, enough times to see it in different types of conditions and really get to know it quite intimately. Let's set the bar a little lower, for the sake of inclusiveness, and define our parameters as:

--Courses you've played at least 20-25 times
--Courses of notable quality at the national/international level (Doak Rating of 7 or higher, or if you prefer, worthy of serious consideration in a World Top 100 ranking list)

What courses have you played which fit those criteria? I'm curious to find out both the collective breadth of this kind of experience that we have among us on this website, and also if there are any particular lessons you've learned or appreciation gained from playing such a course or courses so many times. I'll go first - I've been very blessed to have played several courses that many times:

--Machrihanish (100+ times)
--The Country Club (50+ times)
--Yale (approx. 30-35 times)
--The Old Course (approx. 30-35 times)

I could list a few others in the 10-15 range, but I think it's quite a leap from that level to this level of knowledge. (I'll save my "lessons learned" for later...)

Cheers,
Darren

Ally Mcintosh

Re:What great courses have you played *a lot*?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »
well...none unfortunately...

the closest would be royal aberdeen...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:10:46 AM »
None.  Dammit.  Closest I come is Sand Hills with I believe 10 rounds.

I bet I'm in the vast majority in the real world... so chin up, Ally.  It's you and me against the world in here.

;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:11:15 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:11:36 AM »
Pinehurst #2 over 100 times since 1990.

I thing playing that course so much taught about holes lying naturally on the land. Even if this wasn't the case at #2 Ross sure made it look like it was. It's also taught me that adding length isn't always a good thing. For example, #9 used to be a realtively short par 3 - typically an 8 iron. Now I need a 6 or 7 iron (and since I'm only 32 it's not because I've lossed distance), which dramatically changes the nature of hitting that green, especially with hole locations on the left side of the green. There's been talk of adding a tee on the third hole behind the road next to the 2nd green, which I think would be disastrous. It would eliminate the possibility of some of the pros going for the green in two, which makes it interesting in tournament play.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »
Bethpage Black 300+

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:05 AM »
I'm lucky to live in Philadelphia.  The three courses I've played 100+ rounds on are:

Merion East
Rolling Green GC
Philadelphia Country Club

Jim Finegan has played Philadelphia Country a minimum of 10,000 rounds!  That's a minimum of 250 rounds a year for more than 40 years.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:43:34 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »

I bet I'm in the vast majority in the real world... so chin up, Ally.  It's you and me against the world in here.

;D

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you Tom.  I have been fortunate to play Sand Hills and Ballyneal (one time each), but that's where it stops for me.  I imagine 95% of the golfing population would not be able to offer much to this thread.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »
I have 20-25 rounds at Sand Hills, 500+ at Baltimore Country Club.
Mr Hurricane

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:12:42 AM »
FWIW, I understand that even a great many regular contributors here won't be able to fit the criteria I've listed. However, I think it's still worth asking to see how many of us have *depth* of exposure to great courses as well as simply *breadth*. (What I definitely wouldn't want to see this thread to simply become a pissing contest...)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »

Beau Desert - 25ish  

off topic so sorry - sean, i chose little aston over beau desert when arranging a midlands round pre-belfry for early june... have i mad a mistake (in your opinion)?

back on topic... there are quite a few great courses i've played twice... still reckon there's only one i'm in double figures with though...

Scott Szabo

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »
FWIW, I understand that even a great many regular contributors here won't be able to fit the criteria I've listed. However, I think it's still worth asking to see how many of us have *depth* of exposure to great courses as well as simply *breadth*. (What I definitely wouldn't want to see this thread to simply become a pissing contest...)

Darren,

Didn't mean for my post to be taken that way.  It's a great post and I look forward to the responses you'll get.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »

Or a handy-dandy checklist for access-hounds.

;)

Chris Kane

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
The Old Course: 26 (plus I've spent countless hours watching people play it)
Commonwealth: 300+

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »

;D

How many rounds do you have at Pasatiempo?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »
Sarge - thanks!

I DO HAVE ONE!!!!

I have played Pasatiempo somewhere's around 30 times, over a long time period.  But of course that's open to the public, and when I played it a lot, was dirt cheap through college golf coach.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:28:53 AM by Tom Huckaby »

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
Public counts (at least ostensibly). I have a good many at both World Woods courses.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »
JC - but of course.  I'm just being a bit prickly this morning.  We all have our days.

;D

BTW I only played WW Pine Barrens and I freakin' loved it.  

Richard Pennell

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:39:37 AM »
I've played Cypress Point every night for the last 3 years, between around 11pm and 5am ;)
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
John/Tom - why would public courses not count?  ???

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »
I've been fortunate enough to have played many rounds at both the Valley Club of Montecito and Pasatiempo, so I have lived a full life.  ;D  I would love to able to say I've played a lot of rounds at The Old Course, but that will take a few more annual trips!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 11:50:33 AM »
John/Tom - why would public courses not count?  ???

See reply #13, and remember I am being prickly today.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »
Dornoch--300+
Muirfield--20+
Stanford--50+
Spyglass--30+
Brora--40+
Sawgrass CC (E/W) 50+
Lundin Links 20+

Obviously dumbing down a bit to include Doak 7's, perinstructions.  To me, only Dornoch and Muirfield are "great" on my list, as is Pebble Beach, which (sadly :'() I've only played 15-20 times.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 12:01:20 PM »
Torrey Pines South-30+ rounds over two years 1998 to 2000
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
Dornoch--300+
Muirfield--20+
Stanford--50+
Spyglass--30+
Brora--40+
Sawgrass CC (E/W) 50+
Lundin Links 20+

Obviously dumbing down a bit to include Doak 7's, perinstructions.  To me, only Dornoch and Muirfield are "great" on my list, as is Pebble Beach, which (sadly :'() I've only played 15-20 times.

Are you counting Sawgrass CC as a Doak 7, Rihc? I could add that as well, but that never even crossed my mind as a great course. (Actually, are any of those courses apart from Dornoch and Muirfield rated by Doak as 7+ courses? I certainly don't think they're worthy of "Top 100 in the World" consideration, do you?)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:33:56 PM »
Darren

Since when was a Doak 7 top 100 in the world? ???

Rich

PS--I rank Brora and Sawgrass CC about the same as the two courses on your list that I have played...... ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back