News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Tom Doak's Heathland Course
« on: September 03, 2002, 07:54:47 PM »
Two weeks ago I was able to play Doak's Heathland (Linksland) course at Myrtle Beach.  My father and I really enjoyed it -- and thought it truly was reminiscent of the British Links courses, even though neither of us have played in the UK yet.  My father, who is not into gca and course rankings, commented that it was "nostalgic" and that he liked it better than any of the other courses we have played at the beach.

In fact, we decided to play it again later in the week.  On the 2d round, two singles were added to our game.  The 17th hole is a 185 yard par 3 (220 from the back) that plays into the prevailing wind (it least it did both times we were there), with some great bunkers.  After we teed off, one of our playing partners commented on a small scar/pot bunker that is literally within 50 yards of the tee box, on about a 45 degree angle to the left.  I hardly noticed it the first time, thinking it added to the rugged, links environment.  One of our playing partners commented that he could not imagine what the designer was thinking putting a bunker there -- that it was disrespectful to all golfers (that's a quote).  Anyway, I'm rambling on, but I hope Mr. Doak will explain the genesis/thought behind the bunker.  

Again, I thoroughly enjoyed the course, and highly recommend it.    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Lynn_Shackelford

Re: Tom Doak's Heathland Course
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2002, 09:17:38 PM »
This course isn't discussed as much as it should be.  The road hole, I forget which hole it is, excited me both times I played it.  The course gets windy in the afternoon and one needs to play a lot of cross wind shots.  Wide openings to the greens allow for this.  With so many courses in Myrtle Beach, this course is different than most.  You can't say that about many there.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 02:46:40 AM »
GregH:

If that was a direct quote from your playing partner ("bunker was disrespectful to all golfers") I only wish you'd also gotten a quote from him as to why he thought that.

This is a fairly interesting subject that has come up a few times on Golfclubatlas.

Some have called this kind of bunker placement and use "eye candy"!

I feel there are times when "eye candy" bunkering does exist on golf courses but "eye candy" bunkering is, in my opinion,  extremely visible albeit not really functional to golfers and is intended as almost a blatant visual effect. To me "Eye candy" bunkering is close to artifical "set creating" probably for the purpose of a pretty picture, in a manner of speaking!

On the other hand the bunker you described on Doak's course in Myrtle and other bunkering like it at Pacific Dunes and also a number of bunkers at Applebrook (Hanse) that are clearly not in play for golfers seem anything but a blatant visual effect.

I say they're anything but blatant because as almost proven by your group they aren't particularly noticeable.

Tom Doak will no doubt answer the reasoning behind this type of bunkering for himself, but I have a feeling it's for basically the same purpose as this type of bunkering and its placement at Applebrook.

The reason for this kind of placement at Applebrook is to "tie in" the bunkering that is in play and functional on the golf course with the remainder of the site. It's an attempt to make bunkering generally look like it's more of a natural occurence across the entire golf course than just a design feature placed specifically and formulaicly for golfers.

The bunkering I was referrng to at Pacific Dunes (a site where bunkering really does appear to be naturally occuring and probably is) sure fooled me.

When I was told by one of Doak's constructors that they made it that sure fooled me. It looked like nature formed it to me and it wasn't really in play at all! On that hole (#11) it had the effect of making the rest of the hole (and it's functional bunkering) look like Doak just found the landform (and natural bunkers) and sited a green on it!

Greg Holland

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 11:34:47 AM »
Lynn
Hole 7 had a green complex like the Road Hole -- believe me, you can't appreciate a three and a half foot elevation change in the green until you see it in peson, TV doesn't do it justice.  

TEPaul
The guy that thought the bunker was direspectful viewed it as such because he thought it was a blatant mind game or intimidation tactic, I think.

I, as you, viewed it as an attempt to make the bunkers, and there are some really cool bunkers on this course (e.g., when the golfer goes in, you can't see them from the fairway), look like natural occurrences.  

Hopefully Mr. Doak will enlighten us.  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 11:53:18 AM »
Yes, the Road Hole is #7 (and plays as a par 5), and I just happened to be in the Road bunker on my 2nd shot.  The next hole, a par 3 with the left half of the green blind over a dune, is fun.

Of the 35 or so courses I've played in the Myrtle Beach area, Heathland is the only one I've played more than once.  First time was 10 years ago on a mid-winter golf package with 3 other guys, first round playing in months, no warmup (at all) due to getting there right at our tee time, in the rain.  I felt I needed to get back and see it under different conditons, and caring a little more about architecture.  It was much more pleasant the 2nd time around, even though the playing conditions were still wet (due to summer storms the night before).

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 05:34:19 PM »
I wrote about Heathland in my little annual golf letter some 6 years ago.  In the absolute capitol this side of the Orion Nebulae of golfing mediocrity, Heathland stands out as an unheralded and wonderful exception.  Doak is strangely quiet about this course and to me gives it less credit than it deserves.  I have always ranked it higher than Tom's High Pointe (Mabel, quick, head for the bunkers……)

JC

Tom Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2002, 04:09:48 PM »
Gentlemen,

Sorry I missed this post a few days ago, and thank you for your comments on the course.  I haven't played there in five or six years, so it's nice to hear it still works.

That bunker on 17 was partly visual (to make everything else look natural as you say), but I also thought it might tweak the good players a little bit.  It's about sixty yards off the back tee and off to the left a little, so it's right where a guy might think about heeling his tee shot if he's trying to rip a one-iron into the wind.  I am not above such "dirty tricks," although I would only do it to the back tee players.

The 7th at Heathland is much more forgiving than the real Road hole, due to a much wider approach.  But the tier in the green is slightly higher in my version.

Greg Holland

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2002, 10:57:47 PM »
Tom,
Thanks for the information.  Are there other holes at Heathland based on famous links holes (like 7 and the Road Hole)?  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back