News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

I guess I'd have to be the last, too soon to tell.

Other than players continually overestimating speed (and hence overestimating break), I didn't see much difference. I think I liked the Bermuda rough better, seemed more players took chances.

Can anyone say with any kind of likelihood whether or not they intend to speed up the course in the future? Was it kept a little slower green-speed-wise due to newness of the grass?

Thumbs down on the date change for me. Mother's Day is a tough day. And I think I might be the only person out there who actually felt the season started with the TPC, not The Masters.

As for the whole 5th major thing, I couldn't care less. But it is tied for second in terms of enjoyability to watch for me (with The Masters - well, maybe just the teeniest, tiniest bit behind the Masters), after The Open Championship (mostly because I find links viewing more compelling). And in terms of respecting the win, it's right up there with any major to me. Great course, great field, great winners (generally - there's 1 time wonders in every major).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Szabo

I, too, will take a wait and see approach.  I heard over and over how the course was designed to play firm and fast, but it didn't seem to play that way to me.  Not sure if it's the newness of the turf or what.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Justin_Zook

Hi George,

Thanks for your message.  Take your time.

I just posted a thread about the tournament, along the same lines.  I titled it "Extreme Makeover: Sawgrass Edition."  ;)

I didn't think the course played that firm or fast.  For all the marketing of the creation of "firm and fast", I was somewhat surprised.  Ernie said the greens were HORRIBLE and maybe this was strong language, but I bet they were still a little bumpy.  The biggest test is the greens mower.  He can feel all the little bumps and humps and ridges as the mower rolls over the green.  

I think they probably were protecting the surfaces a little bit.  I'll be excited to see how the course really plays next year when the maturation process takes hold.

And the timing, yeah I don't know if I like it either.  Seems like a bad day to have a tournament finish when a great percentage of people are celebrating the work our Mom's do.  I wonder what the ratings were?
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Geoffrey Childs

Thumbs DOWN George.

The worst offense I think is the dumbing down of the greens. They had some real slopes and interesting contours when I plaayed there.  Now we hear the comentators mention no breaks in putts of 10 feet and I shake my head.  The tiers are all lowered/softened and there was less interest.

The new drains are all over the place as well and the Sergio controversy with a drop on #2 or #3 would not have happened.

Sawgrass went down a notch IMHO with these changes.

jim_lewis

I have been waiting for some of the ANGC critics to hammer the TPC for adding trees. For example, new trees on the right of #18 that take the driver out of most players' hands.  By discouraging the driver, they also reduce the threat posed by the water on the left. I think a finishing hole of that length should tempt the player to hit a driver to try to make birdie. The current setup results in a lot of defensive play. I prefer a finishing hole that invites agressive play. I suspect that if Fazio had planted those trees, this thread would have dozens of critical posts by now.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Justin_Zook

GJ,

I didn't hear/see, what happened on #2 and #3?  
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Kirk Gill

The new clubhouse looked good as a backdrop to the awards ceremony.   8)
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Geoffrey Childs

GJ,

I didn't hear/see, what happened on #2 and #3?  

from a NY Times article

"NOTES

With a second-place finish Sunday, Sergio García turned in his best effort of the season, but it was nearly marred by controversy on the second hole. After García took relief from a drain on the hole, the caddie of his playing partner, Cliff Kresge, accused him of taking an improper drop. “They were calling me a cheater on that,” said Garcia, who shot 66. “You never like that. I’ve never cheated in my whole life. I’d rather shoot 85 than shoot 65 cheating.” García ended up making birdie on the hole, but he said the situation affected him for several holes. “I finally relaxed towards the fourth or fifth hole.” ."

I believe the caddie said that Sergio's heel was still on the drain after taking relief so he did not take full relief with his drop.

TEPaul

I wish I knew but it's pretty hard to say without actually going out and playing or scrutinizing the place before and after.

From the commentary it seems like the green slopes and contours got generally softened.

It's a helluva interesting golf course though. Probably the consummate Pete Dye architecture.

Gary_K

The new clubhouse looked good as a backdrop to the awards ceremony.   8)

Speaking of the clubhouse; I'm still trying to figure out what needed to be removed in the schrubs that spell 'The Players Championship' that resulted in 'layers pionship' as seen in the areal photo on page 230 of the May 2007 Golf Digest?

Silly construction workers. :)

Gary K.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back