News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Does every hole have its day?
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:30:44 AM »
Given the nature of playing golf in it, wind direction changes, maintenance issues, good and better pin placements and the general variety of day to day play...is it fair to say that at least once in its life every hole on the course is the best hole on the course in that one moment in time?  At courses where you play on a regular basis year after year do you find you favorite hole changing as often as your favorite shirt.  I recently found a long lost shirt that somehow was just peeking out at me from the back of the closet.  Even my wife thought it was new and don't have a clue why I had forgotten is was so good.  Occasionally I finish a hole a wonder the same thing..How did this get in the back of the closet and why hadn't I looked forward to wearing it in so long.

TEPaul

Re:Does every hole have its day?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »
Short answer---no.

But I sure do have too many golf shirts. :)

I do find this kind of thing does happen with golf clubs though. Frank Thomas had an I&B phrase for that kind of thing. He called it "The magic of the game"---eg a lot of things that are golf and relate to golf are really just in that five inch area that the great BobbyJ spoke about.  ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »
John
a successful writer once told me to remember to "leave room for the audience". That implies/suggests many things, one of which is leaving space in the writing for the audience to insert itself into, and to fill in the blanks as it sees fit. Try as he/she might to telegraph and dictate thoughts and emotions, the writer can never completely shape the audience's response (or maybe only in very bad writing is the attempt even made). The writer can never know what an individual reader/audience member might be bringing to the table on a particular day. Similarly, it seems to me that the architect might believe that hole X is the best designed on the course, and he may even be objectively right about that; but who's to know if hole Y, maybe a throw-away hole most days (even in the architect's eyes) won't leave the most room for the golfer to insert himself into it, at least on one particlaur day when all the conditions converge. If it does, the golfer will have participated more on that hole than on the best hole on the course...and I think enjoy it more on that account.

Peter      

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:54:49 AM »
John:

I think the best courses are as you describe, where even the weakest hole is pretty good, and for someone at the club, could be the best hole on the course.

But there are a lot of other courses that have a few inspired holes and a few real dogs.  And not every dog has its day.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »
John:

I think the best courses are as you describe, where even the weakest hole is pretty good, and for someone at the club, could be the best hole on the course.

But there are a lot of other courses that have a few inspired holes and a few real dogs.  And not every dog has its day.

My thoughts are very similar to those Tom has expressed here.  Sure, there are holes that change/morph over time due to changes in weather conditions or other external factors that seem to put a different "face" on that particular hole thus bringing it into a different light.

However, there are plenty of holes I've played over the years that are simply un-inspiring, and I just cannot see those particular holes ever having their "day".

Just my $.02...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back