News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

A Lost Gem
« on: May 13, 2007, 07:33:46 AM »
I played Worcester G&CC yesterday, a course I have always liked, but less so with the passing years.  Some ten years or so, the club made dramatic changes to a largely intact Dr. Mac course.  In the name of safety, three new holes were added and the land for some of the original holes was sold off.  To top this off, the club alowed the pro to design the new holes and the alteration to other holes to make way.  The new holes have had ten years to settle and there is still little love for them.  The biggest reason is that most feel the course is no better for the changes, in fact worse.  Additionally, the three new holes are in a flood plain and are out of commission for most of the winter.  Why a proper archie wasn't consulted is the question everybody asks, yet nobody knows the answer.

To add insult to injury, many of the green complexes are long & narrow with bunkering on either side, placing a preimium on the correct angles of attack.  In recent years, the club has planted so many trees that the only angle of attack is the correct one because most of the others are blocked by trees with no chance for recovery.  The two members I played with lamented what has happened to their course - a very rare opinion of most I talk with concerning trees.  The usual reply is don't hit it in the trees - showing a complete lack of understanding for the point being made.  In any case, these two chaps said the Forestry Commission was giving them trees to plant with the idea that some will be taken away at some point for re-planting elsewhere.  Has anybody ever heard of this before?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:A Lost Gem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:35:53 AM »
Sean, I played this course once (in July 1969 - I have reason to be able to be precise about the date).  I can remember quite a lot about most of the courses I played at that time - in some cases everything - but I remember nothing about the design or layout of Worcester.  All I remember were big parkland trees getting in the way of even mildly wayward drives.  The reason I remember the date is that we met a member of the club after our round who showed us his latest treasure, a ball used by Tony Jacklin in his Open Championship victory at Lytham the previous week and signed by him.

I've heard of quite a few clubs acquiring trees (sometimes in very large numbers) as a result of one inititaive or another.  There must be something like 300,000 trees at Stockport, for instance, which have been planted since the 1950s.  It was until then an open moorland course with a view of a different sooty mill from each hole.  Now there is only one house to be seen from the course during normal play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back