News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Northern Michigan Golf Trip
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »
My closest friends and I are booked for a 3 day dream golf excursion in northern Michigan this August.  Flying in to DTW and driving straight to Forest Dunes, staying in one of their lakehouses on Th. night, playing all day on Friday.
Saturday we're playing in the afternoon at Arcadia Bluffs, then on to The Kingsley Club, staying there overnight and playing there the next morning.

Any advice from those who know Traverse City, should we opt to stay Friday night in TVC and attend the Film Festival for 'a release' or stay another night at FD and play another early morning round on Saturday before driving to Arcadia?

Personally I'm for more great golf, but I owe it to the boys to present the option(s).

Many thanks.

Jfaspen

Re:Northern Michigan Golf Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 10:57:18 AM »
If you're already playing 4+ rounds at FD, I'd try a different course instead of a 5th round there.  If Crystal Downs isn't an option, check out Doak's highpointe.

jf

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
I would second a look at High Pointe. Tom's first solo project with some interesting holes and the green fee will be the lowest of your trip.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 03:49:09 PM »
I would recommend several options:

1st would be Crystal Downs if you could swing access
2nd would be Greywalls if you are in for a significant drive
3rd would be True North if you haven't played a Jim Engh course
4th would be Bay Harbor to see what everyone pans about a great site that Hills screwed up
5th would be the back nine at Highpointe which I thought was pretty special but it has been years since I've seen it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »
I've played the courses already on your itinerary as opposed the ones you could add on. There's no way you'd be able to get to Greywalls and back with the limited gap you have.

Other than that going through Cary's options would be a pretty good listing. There's a course in Ludington that's not too far from Arcadia (I think Hemlock ?) that might be worth a look. Enjoy the three you are definitely playing!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 08:34:45 PM »
If you left Forest Dunes anytime in the early to mid evening on Friday (say after 36 holes, so 6 or 7 pm), you could make the four hour drive to Greywalls (it's no more than that from FD), play there in the morning, and then make the big drive to Arcadia (about six and a half hours).  

But Arcadia afternoon rounds are notoriously slow...what I'd do in that case is drop one of the rounds at FD for an earlier Arcadia round.  Maybe Arcadia could be an afternoon round on Friday, and then follow it up with a late drive to Greywalls that night, or a there/play/and back drive on Saturday, taking all the time you need to get back downstate on Saturday night.

The trip to Greywalls is definitely worth it if you can swing it.  There's always a way.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 09:32:22 PM »
screw the film festival and play some more of the great golf up there...Belvedere and Black Forest are two more to consider
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »
For some Non-golf activities check these out:

Interlochen's on the way to Kingsley from Arcadia.
http://tickets.interlochen.org/

If you're there the first week of August this is a blast:
http://www.dunegrassfestival.com/artists/

As far as Arcadia goes, get the first twilight tee time and there'll be nobody in front of you -- you might be able to get in 36.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 09:47:30 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 10:41:09 PM »
What about Black Forest? Always a big hit with our group.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jfaspen

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 01:20:02 AM »
What about Black Forest? Always a big hit with our group.

Exactly what northern michigan golf should be.. Not overdone like some of the holes at treetops.  Black Forest is a great golf course, no gimicks.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 09:51:15 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  We'll book an early morning round at High Pointe before our 4pm tee time at Arcadia.  

I have planned a return November trip to play every Tom Doak course in Michigan and to see Greywalls by his former associate.  I'm anxious to see these architectural gems.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
Eric: hope you're not planning on playing Greywalls in November, as they close up there in late October (typically the end of the 3rd week).  Have you arranged to visit the site with anyone as a non-player?  If not, let me know and I can put you in touch.

Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back