News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Re:World's Best Tee?
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2007, 04:21:05 PM »
#13 Eagle Ridge, Yatesville Lake State Park, Kentucky.

No one only hits one shot from there, almost no matter if they hit it on the 325yd green in one. Just too much fun. Hit your shot, walk to your CART [must here!], put up your club, sip your adult beverage, walk back to the tee, watch your ball land.  :)

Ok, no one would want that on every hole ...... but it is not on every hole.

Great course, recent tragedy. I quote myself from an earlier thread: ...............................................................

Many of you have heard me rave about a course in the Eastern Kentucky mountains called Eagle Ridge. The severe drought there has produced a tragedy.

ER, a State Park course, was contracted to have it's water provided by the nearby 'city' of Louisa. When the drought became severe in May [and it STILL is!], Louisa cut them off completely! The City Board apparently said something absurd about the water needs of people being more important than the water needs of golf courses  .

Now the fairways are literally burned away, and they must reseed for next year. They had been hand watering the greens, trying to keep them in their usual immaculate condition, until the fairways became completely gone.

If this had happened to a Top 100 course, there would be great sympathy. Well IT SHOULD BE!! Period.

When this course grows back out, I plan an all out assault on your eyes till you go see! The State Park Signature Series has several courses worthy of your note. And at maximun $42 for courses that in Chicago would be $150+ at least, you cannot golf quality any cheaper.

Damned drought!

Doug [who lives in Ohio, but often golfs in Kentucky!]

Nuff said? For now. ;)

Brian_Ewen

Re:World's Best Tee?
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2007, 07:46:29 AM »
James
Dufftown , I am sure I mentioned it before on here , and it got a few similar humorous responses , plus something to do with The Simpsons ?

Us Scots tend to pronounce it quickly as Duff-Ton .

Its more on the Speyside Whisky Trail than the Highlands .

Quite a while since I was last here , and I doubt they were selling hats , as there was just a small clubhouse that never seemed to be open , and you left your green fee in a honesty box .

My memory seems to tell me that the first 9 holes were all uphill , and I was knackered by the time I reached the 10th tee  and then it was wow .

Stunning views of the countryside and the nearby distilleries , and the highest tee I can remember ever playing from .

And of course , the back 9 was all downhill from here .

Its funny , having a look on the net , you find that "Duff-Ton" , has a lovely new website , new clubhouse , and there looks a lot more trees , long grass and stripey lines , than I can ever remember . http://www.dufftowngolfclub.com .

And they are even looking for Overseas Visitors !

David Tepper knows his Speyside golf , so I wonder if he has ever played here ?

James , if I am ever back to "Duff-Ton" , I will remember a hat for you  ;)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:47:04 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back