News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Who invented the term parkland course?
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »
The subject says it all, everyone is using that term, but where was it actually first defined?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Dan_Callahan

Re:Who invented the term parkland course?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:38:58 PM »
I believe it was Al Gore in the early 1980s.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:18:08 PM »
Wasn't it Horace Hutchinson in his manifesto on golf course architecture?  I believe he called it Arts and Crafts Parkland Golf  ;D

Sorry, Ulrich.  I have no idea but it is an excellent question.  I bet Tom Paul has a good idea on this one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:19:00 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 05:49:23 AM »
I don't know the answer, but the thread sent me to look in Davies's Dictionary of Golfing Terms.  I found two interesting quotes:

1936 HB Martin Fifty Years of American Golf:  Our inland type of golf course - or park course - was very much ridiculed by the British.
1975 Henry Cotton History of Golf: I find very open park courses tedious and boring to play.

Sir Henry was clearly not a member of the chainsaw brigade!

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 06:32:21 AM »
This thread is a good example of why this website needs an improved search facility. This subject has been discussed inside other threads.

Some of the massive GB "estates" (often hundreds if not thousands of acres) were massively architecturally landscaped by the likes of Lancelot "Capability" Brown and Humphrey Repton were commonly called "parks" or in America parkland estates.

Eventually, after golf emigrated out of the linksland beginning about the middle of the 19th century inland golf courses began to appear on some of those landscape designed estates. In the first few decades of the 20th century the same thing happened in America---ex The Creek Club in Long Island.

I believe this is where the term "parkland" golf course initially emanated from.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:35:11 AM by TEPaul »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
I am getting somewhat better results by searching this site via Google. Type something like "origins of parkland site:www.golfclubatlas.com". However, it's a crutch and I'm looking forward to the new site - if the old content is carried across.

So it seems the term originated by word-of-mouth, not in a specific publication.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back