News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Banks & White--Silver Spring
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:16:09 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re:Banks & White--Silver Spring
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:21:10 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »

Andy Hughes

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »
RMD, Silver Spring.....Maryland? What course is it?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Scott Witter

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 09:14:11 AM »
AHughes:

I believe Robert means Silver Spring CC in Ridgefield Conn...though I didn't think that Banks was involved that much.  During college, I worked at Silver Spring GC in Silver Springs, MD and that was originally Ross, but heavily worked over by Ed Ault.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 09:21:14 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:24:30 AM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »
I once worked at Silver Spring many years ago.  The course was designed by Banks.  Unfortunately, this was his last effort and he did not live long enough to see its completion.  It was finished by White.  Also, the course was kept fallow during WWII  and, supposedly, the humps and bumps that the greens originally possessed where significantly changed.  Not sure, but the 3rd might have once been a redan--it certainly has the classic look.  Sidenote, one picture seems to resist being posted in focus--it is in focus in photobucket.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 11:09:06 PM »
Results from the US Open qualifying tournament can be viewed on www.csgalinks.org/tournaments/2007/ us open
There was a very interesting occurance today.  The pin on the 14th was placed in a much too severe location and resulted in constant light watering throughout the day.  I am not sure if anyone lost the tournament before the watering.  However, my experience is what brought about the watering.  The group behind took over 15 minutes to putt out --very fortunately, the low player in the group was +5 going into the hole.

George_Bahto

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »
My information on Silver Springs is similar to Robert's - designed by Banks just before he died and built by Robert White, a good friend of Macdonald, and was very familiar with their style. I have no information if Banks even started the course.

I visited it wuite a while ago and at the time the club told me it was built by Cornish .....NOT

My dates show the course was built 1931- thru 1933
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »

This green looks wonderfully interesting! :D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 11:58:38 PM »
Robert,
If you like this kind of architecture, you need to come out to Santa Anita when you come home in November.

Me, I would rather be playing an Arnold Palmer-designed course....(with cart paths and GPS, wired for internet access & In and Out orders...)

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 12:09:41 AM »
Tommy,  
    Arnie being the fav--you would love how one of the CSGA officials raved about that wonderfully great course in Carlsbad.  In his eyes, it was the ultimate resort!
   However(you are not supposed to begin a paragraph with this word, however), Silver Spring has always been a desired course for the CSGA to host events.  This is the ultimate in low key.  For many, many years, the entrance was marked only by the address #--no sign.  When I worked there, the entrance sign was only slightly larger than a CD.  The clubs bylaws state that it is to be non-ostentatious and low key.  That it is debt free and that simplicity is everything.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
I believe Robert means Silver Spring CC in Ridgefield Conn...though I didn't think that Banks was involved that much.  During college, I worked at Silver Spring GC in Silver Springs, MD and that was originally Ross, but heavily worked over by Ed Ault.
Scott, thanks.  Silver Spring GC in MD is NLE, correct?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back