News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

Best Course with Worst Grass Lines
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:23:39 AM »
Most agree that altering grass lines on existing courses can go a long way to making that course more interesting day in and day out, especially around the greens.

I am speaking mainly about mowing heights, not about which grasses are planted.

Would the courses you regularly play benefit from adjusting their mowing grass lines?

Any specific suggestions.

Also, do you like the fringe cut inside the greens, or prefer the approach height going directly to the green height in a wider swath.  I prefer the latter.

And, do you like the idea of the primary (step cut) rough that then transitions into real rough.  I don't.

Your thoughts?

Josh

Matt_Cohn

Re:Best Course with Worst Grass Lines
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:51:37 AM »
Josh,

I don't understand the green/fringe part of the question.

I think a large group of people here will name courses whose fairways have been narrowed for tournaments and then kept that way. Around here, there's Harding Park. I don't really mind its current mowing lines but there are some pictures in another thread that demonstrate the narrow fairways that don't exactly fit the big, wide corridors.

I think it's OK at Harding because there's only one shot where there's rough in what should be the perfect part of the fairway (#4). Otherwise it's just the undesirable edges of the fairways that are now rough.

Surely there are some courses out there where the ideal spots are in the rough on a much greater number of holes?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:02:29 AM »
I presume you mean besides Augusta National?

redanman

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:42 AM »
As I have said before:

Bethpage Black just screams for help with those beautiful "Rough Bunkers" so far from those ribbons of Aqua-Fresh-resembling "fairways" exactly 26 yards wide!

aaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

:)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:33:21 PM »
Paraparaumu Beach (North Island, New Zealand) by Alex Russell, is currently the poster child of this category of courses. In my opinion it's worse than Augusta for corruption of design intent as a consequence of mowing lines.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:43:21 PM »
Prairie Dunes would go along way to improving on it's greatness if it didn't cover that great terrain with the senseless rough. Lord knows the gunk is tough enough and with those greens why stop players from attempting shots from short grass?

A great example of the sad reality where people think difficulty is what makes a golf course better. A misnomer of biblical proportions.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back