News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

mike_malone

Walking from course to course in Ireland
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:30:42 AM »
 A friend of mine, Tom Coyne, is walking from links course to links course in Ireland and will have a blog on www.golf.com under the travel section.The first post is there today.

Tom is known here as the author of " A Gentleman's Game" which was made into a movie that Tommy adores. It is mostly famous for my cameo appearance.

Tom is one smart guy. He got a publisher to pay him to attempt to make the tour and write a book about it. I told him that I knew how it would end, but he learned alot from the experience.

Now, he is getting them to pay for a several months trip to Ireland to play golf and write another book.

I told him to put some architectural comments on his blog.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:07:44 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Brendan Dolan

Re: Walking from course to course in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »
That is pretty amazing and very cool.  Do you know any detials, like where he plans to start or finish?  Thanks,
Brendan

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »
He'll probably get from course to course faster than if he were driving.....

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »
 Brendan,

He started at Kilkee . I think goes nw around the country back to Ballybunion.
AKA Mayday

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:03:38 PM »
Thans,
Played Kilkee the first time I traveled to Ireland, and it is not a bad warm up course as it is close to Shannon.  I think that the 3rd played right along a cliff that dropped a long way into the ocean.  Neat hole as it was a drivable par four.  If there is an interest, I for one would love to discuss the architectual merits of the courses as he goes.  Could be fun.

Brendan

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:07:19 PM »
 Brendan

Email him at tomcoyne.com and suggest to him that you want to see some architectural comments as he goes; tell him I sent you .
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »
What a great idea.  It's not 100% clear but I assume he's carrying all his worldly goods for a 4 month trip with him!  There was a book by Tony Hawkes where he lost a bet and had to hitchhike around Ireland with his fridge!  I think I know which journey I'd prefer.

Thanks Mike, this one will brighten my days this summer.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »
He'll probably get from course to course faster than if he were driving.....

Standard Irish Joke (One of Many)

Tourist to local  "What is the quickest way to get from here (in Ireland) to Dublin?"

local replies "Are you travelling by car?"

tourist responds  "Yes"

Local replies "Well then, you are going the quickest way!"

James B

PS - alternate Irish Joke

Tourist to local "How do I get to Dublin from here?"

Local replies  "Well, if I were wishing to get to Dublin, I definitely wouldn't start from here."
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:03:41 AM »
Michael,

I have had this idea, for a few years now, that I would contact clubs in Ireland in advance, tell them I was interested in golf course architecture, that I was travelling on my own and would love to be able to come to their club and play with some members.

I have done the mandatory trip to Scotland with my buddies and it was great but thought that if I could get some games with members of clubs, this time in Ireland, that would be even better. Sounds like your friend Tom has a similar idea. I just think that having a game with members, having a sandwich and beer later on, would be a great experience and a fabulous way to see the great courses of Ireland. Of course, the same could be done in Scotland and England.

I really look forward to hearing what happens to Tom. I was not so bold as to think I could pack my bag from course to course.

Bob Jenkins

Andy Doyle

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »
... walking from links course to links course in Ireland .... He got a publisher to pay him to attempt to make the tour and write a book about it.

I don't know if I'm more impressed with the idea or his ability to get someone else to pay him to do it.

I like the approach of Pete McCarthy, who had the same idea, except his destination points were pubs, following his Eighth Rule of Travel: "Never Pass a Bar That Has Your Name on It").  He wrote about his adventures in "McCarthy's Bar."

I think I'd rather save my walking for on the courses rather than between.

AD

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Is sent him a E-Mail but got I replay saying he can't read his E-mails to August 27th. We have computers in Ireland you know  ;D

Sean Walsh

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »
I was going to send an email but I see Master Hunt has beaten me to it.  

Michael,

Are you able to find out where Tom will be between the 18th and 20th of May.  I'm likely to be in the area and would gladly meet up for a restorative pint.

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 06:20:36 PM »
I'll have see how to contact him. Did you email him at www.tomcoyne.com or was it thru golf.co?. I can call his dad to get more info.

I just talked to his dad---technologically clueless! He said Tom's wife will be over their house tomorrow and can fill me in. Yes! he has a wife. She works a real job. Not only can he convince someone to pay him for all of this, but his wife lets him go. You would think he was a real Irishman!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:32:49 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »
He said Tom's wife will be over their house tomorrow and can fill me in. Yes! he has a wife. She works a real job. Not only can he convince someone to pay him for all of this, but his wife lets him go. You would think he was a real Irishman!

And I though Tom's experience for "Paper Tiger" was a boondoggle...he is my hero.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back