News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

redanman

DE Deerfield G & TC - A nice find
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:57:34 AM »
One guy's take: (G & T is NOT Gin and Tonic!)

William Gordon (1955) is the architect of this neat little course originally part of MBNA and DuPont culture located adjacent to the Newark, DE headquarters of B of A's credit card division. It is now annexed into DE's White Clay Creek Park and on lease to Forewinds Hospitality who also manage Hartfeld and Inniscrone nearby (six golf courses total).

William and David Gordon to my eyes seemed not to have learned a whole lot about golf course architecture from William Flynn, the undisputed master of across the board quality ;) (nod to my friend Wayne).

The Gordons sometimes built interesting green complexes (Locust Valley) sometimes big uninteresting courses (Saucon - Grace) and sometimes very inconsistent courses (Weyhill). As an aside, one thing Mr. Grace seemed to pretty much demand from the Gordons was unreachable Z-shaped par 5's (18 Weyhill is as bad as any in the lot - an "unforgettable finish" - sort of like the last taste of fish being not so fresh). Thankfully these holes are completely absent from Deerfield G & TC. Par 70 - also a lot like Flynn.

In fact, I've never seen a more Flynn-like Gordon course at all.  I might have even guessed Flynn If I'd gone in blind.  Very well-routed for interest's sake over a marvelously voluptuous piece of ground, utilizing several triangles in the routing.  Uphill, downhill and sidehill are all frequently in play.  Perched greens, runs-up, tight openings, wide open ones, semi-blind par 3's.  There is not a single flat hole to be found.  Potato-chip greens with more flips up than down, generally small greens made smaller by slopes and internal bunker contouring - they're all here.  At 6350 a little short for the long-bombing testosterone-fueled young-uns, for most it is an absolute delight and challenge.  I think that it plays up to 200-300 yards longer due to the uses of elevation.

The two delightful par 5's on this par 70 are 1 and 10, normally two if my least favorite spots in a routing for 5 pars. These however can both be described as downhill doglegs to the left, but not at all similar.  #1 has a long slightly uphill first part whereas #10 immediately drops about 75 feet with a pond along the left side that you should hug to get the angle to the mesa green. A too-conservative drive to the right fairway on 10 left me with a near impossible approach of only 230 yards because of the green complex, the right-to-left cant of the fairway and a tree or two narrowing the direct approach from the right side. Very cleverly done. I tried my damnedest from a hanging lie with my 1i equivalent rescue, slicing it about 35 yards but came up 30 paces from the front and 7 feet below the green surface. Most fun I had all this young season so far trying to hit that shot.

The first doesn't start it's 60-80 foot sharp decline until the sharp turn left at the 150 mark - sort of like the 16th at Philadelphia CC's last bit of run-up, in fact a lot like it.

Par 3's were 6i (m), 1i equivalent (m), 7i (m) and 6i (f) to the pins I played (alternate f, m, b routine is used daily - unfortunately depending on sequencing, one usually gets an uninteresting mix of par 3 pins this way).#2 slightly downhill with some mean slopes just over the bunkers when going after a right pin, #8 uphill with a crest-like green appearance, #11 just slightly uphill all in view and #16 uphill, well-bunkered very little green in view.

Par 4's  - uphill (6 times!) often played quite a bit longer than yardage, downhill, sidehill - great variety, but of course shortish by today's standards, but very very interesting.

If you carry the ball say 235 with a 250 result, you will not care a whit about the shortness of the card.  Very recently aerated the conditioning will be fantastic. Ideally it's probably a little too-treed for my tastes (especially when all the hardwoods are fleshed out), but I don't think that  it will not be particularly claustrophobic.

$48 W/D, $68 W/E I just had to share.  It's a little less than :30 from the PA/DE state line on I-95, over in the corner where DE, MD and PA come together.  Anyone from Philly or nearby have another take?  JES II, you're too long, sorry. :)

Scott_Burroughs

Re:DE Deerfield G & TC - A nice find
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:05:42 AM »
Bill,

How many times in the past did I praise Deerfield for being a hidden gem?  Many.  Numerous times I mentioned it as my top hidden gem and I even saved it as the very last AOTD  (not counting an addition much later).

As a former member of Dupont CC for 2 years, I played at least half of my rounds amongst the 3 full-length courses at Dupont at what was then the Louviers course at DCC.  First, it was easily my favorite, and second, it was mostly empty.

Your post seems to indicate that it's open to the public now.  True?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:07:47 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

redanman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »
Scott - Absolute, irrefutable proof that I do have a life and do NOT read every post on gca.com Never read it even once. :'(

Yes it is public.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »
I've played this course numerous times with DuPont employees - a number of which expressed they wish they sold another course before this one! Really a neat place.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »
Bill,

Scott, Mayday, and I have extolled here previously about Deerfield.  Despite the fact that it's old news, your review is really an accurate assessment.  ;)

You really need to give up your life and spend more time here.  ;D

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »
 A "scrunched" up version of Rolling Green. I grew up as a member of DuPont and always loved the course.

Bill,

I was never a fan of the second shot on #1. It is downhill, blind, and a dogleg. I mostly remember 1972 (I think). We would play 12 holes and then go inside and watch Steve Carlton strikeout 30 guys!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:33:08 AM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

redanman

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:38:26 AM »
I was never a fan of the second shot on #1. It is downhill, blind, and a dogleg.
What's not to like? :) Just hit a slinging hook rescue shot!

I had reminisces of RG and Weyhill.

And I am truly sorry not to have read every post previously.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:39:10 AM by W.Vostinak »

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
   Losing sight of that second shot often led to long times of looking for the ball. Then you would give up and go back and hit another one , only to find the first one when searching for the second one  >:(

What did you think of #9 ?
AKA Mayday

redanman

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:55:49 PM »
I thought #9 was very hard playing as much uphill as it does to what might be the smallest most unreceptive green.  The pin was middle to back and very close to the right edge; it struck me as  perhaps THE most difficult pin position on that green that I could see looking around the green and its contours.

Definitely a masochist's favorite with that pin!  I successfully 2-putted from the middle I am proud to say.  I needed to hit a 5-iron in on a hole 412! YIKES! (#1 Hcp currently, BTW)

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »
 On the front there is one very short par four-- #3. It plays straight up the hill so that if you do not catch your drive you have a blind approach. On the back nine the shortest par four is a risk/reward slightly downhill dogleg to the right. So, this provides interesting variety.

There are five consecutive par fours on the front ( I never realized that before), but it isn't boring. I described #3. #4 starts on a slightly elevated tee to the top of a hill in the landing area. If you carry the hill you get close to the green. The green sits up on a ridge with a challenging right to left green. There is OB to the right ( a house) and bunkers that climb the hill on the left.

#5 is a significant drop from the tee with a left to right diagonal creek. (As a teenager, my slice just tracked that creek perfectly!). Then there is a daunting shot up the hill with an opening that is a reverse of #4.

#6 has a downhill doglegging to the left landing area straight up to a green for an approach that is usually totally blind with flanking bunkers.

#7 provides visibility of the green from the tee and a gentle left to right slant to the fairway. The green may be the narrowest on the course (l/r) but it opens up nicely in the back.

I wonder if there are other courses with five consecutive par fours as interesting and varied.

The four consecutive par fours on the back have their own flow as well.
AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »
I played there about 8-10 years ago with a member when it was owned by MBNA. I thought it was a good course then but I have no recollection of any holes. I'll add it to my play list this year although with the price of gasoline approaching $3 that's a factor. It's at least an hour drive for me.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »
 Steve,

You make it south of town; I'll take you the rest of the way.
AKA Mayday

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
Steve,

You make it south of town; I'll take you the rest of the way.

Let me know if you need a fifth ;)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

archie_struthers

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »
 :D ;) ;D

Just can't resist this one relative to W. Vostinek,

Have only played a little golf with him, but want no parts of him at either Deerfield or Wildwood CC in deep southern NJ.

He and Billy Casper, another master of the "slinging hook" could play Jack and Tiger at these two courses and drive them crazy!

lol!!! ;) ;D :D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 09:14:16 PM »
I played Deerfield yesterday after a long hiatus of almost 10 years. An almost Flynn like experience. ;D A very impressive mix of holes for a par 70 course. It's not "right out in front of you." Uphill and downhill are mixed in the routing.There are more than 5 consecutive par 4s on the front- the par3 8th at 225y uphill is really a short par 4. I didn't see any ball marks on this green. With the 9th hole a par4, I count 7 consecutive par4s.

My favorite holes were the par5 1st, with its downhill approach to the back to front green; the par4 5th with an elevated green;the short par4 12th with an uphill tee shot between the chutes and the par4 17th with its downhill approach.

This is an ideal course for an East Coast GCA get together as it is easily accessible from the the DC/Baltimore area to the Philly/South Jersey area and to the North Jersey/NY area.

Take a tour of the course:

http://deerfieldgolfclub.com/course-tour.cfm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:41:15 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
Deerfield was my home course for a couple of years.

The bargin of the region when MBNA opened the membership to non-bank employees !

It used to be tougher as the Louviers course (Dupont course)

It is a nice course -- but was a nicer club as MBNA.

The current golf pros - Chris & Kurt are the 2 nicest pros that you can find.

Great, quirky little course, never a flat lie, old style course with the next tee box close to the last green.  Asside from the hills, very walkable.

It was closed for a year (but maintained) and last year was in super condition.  Haven't been out there this year.

If you are looking for another in your group, please keep me in mind.  I live just down the road.  And as a DE resident I may be able to book the tee time before out-of-state'ers.

Thanx,
Karl
Pike Creek, DE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back