News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Spaulding

Seattle Golf Club
« on: May 07, 2007, 09:44:50 AM »
A friend of mine played in a tournament here recently but he did not know much about the design, other than that it was originally built in the early 1900's.

Was hoping someone could provide the litany of who's worked on this over the years. All I see is John Ball and Robert Johnstone credited. If anyone has any photos please put them up.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

W.H. Cosgrove

Re:Seattle Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:58:30 AM »
Seattle was most recently worked on by Palmer.  They added bunkers, moved a few greens, adjusted if not added some water and planted some trees(??).  Not a lot of the work added dramatically to the quality of the course.  I'm trying to be nice.  

For years the course has suffered from poor irrigation(its dry in Seattle for several months a year) and even worse drainage.  A new irrigation system has been installed which should help.  Seattle also has a new superintendent whose history I'm proud to say includes a stop as assistant at my own club, Oakbrook G&CC, and then a term at Olympia CC.  Matt should help to shake up a pretty stagnant situation.  

Seattle also is heavily forested and the trees are for the most prt big trophies.  As we well know cutting them is a pretty difficult task.  

Finally, any trip to Seattle GC should include a stop in the locker room which I believe to be one of my favorites.  It's a craftsman beauty.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
I had a really crappy caddy last time out, but overall it is a very nice place. He will chime in as soon as he gets out Algebra.

I like it a bit more than Cos does, but I do admit I have trouble differentiating the course with the whole package.  The locker room, clubhouse and aura of the place makes it seem like a special experience each time I play there, where the golf course in itself is just OK.

Worth playing for sure...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:37:51 PM by Sean Leary »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:08:18 AM »
I really don't know much about its architectural history.  I played it about five years ago and really enjoyed it.  The terrain was rolling and well routed.  The greens complexes were interesting and required good shotmaking.  When I played it I don't remember any drainage problems.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »
I had a really crappy caddy last time out, but overall it is a very nice place. He will chime in as soon as he gets out Algebra.

I like it a bit more than Cos does, but I do admit I have trouble differentiating the course with.  The locker room, clubhouse and aura of the place makes it seem like a special experience each time I play there, where the golf course in itself is just OK.

Worth playing for sure...

Yea, funny Sean.  Remember for about 8 hours after I caddied for you I never even showed up...

Jon, Seattle is a great course, club, etc, with a great membership.  I work there.
Soon there will be a course profile on it including pictures and write ups of the holes.

If you have any specific questions about the club or course IM me or email me at golfwas@yahoo.com

Cheers,

p.s. The new super-intendent has been doing a lot with the course, and it is in superb shape right now.  Firm and fast already.  A new irrigation system has been installed over the entire course which has helped with the upkeep with the course.  The greens are as good as I have ever seen them and the fairways are absolutely perfect.  No drainage problems anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 01:02:51 PM by Jordan Wall »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
I really don't know much about its architectural history.  I played it about five years ago and really enjoyed it.  The terrain was rolling and well routed.  The greens complexes were interesting and required good shotmaking.  When I played it I don't remember any drainage problems.

Tommy,

Did you play it July 4th. As we all know, it rains from July 5 to July 3 in Seattle, so if you played it July 4th, you would have missed the drainage problems.  ;D
Seriously though, it you played in summer months the drainage problems most definitely wouldn't be apparant. However, if you played in winter months, the opposite would be true.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »
Garland, this new irrigation system should make drainage great year round.
At Seattle, the drainage was already pretty good this winter, and I am happy it will only get better.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »
A positive note for me was the positioning of the fairway bunkers. The closer one played the bunkers, the better the angle to the green. But it has been twenty years. Are the Olympics still in view from the clubhouse?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »
A positive note for me was the positioning of the fairway bunkers. The closer one played the bunkers, the better the angle to the green. But it has been twenty years. Are the Olympics still in view from the clubhouse?

Yes, the bunkers still serve that same purpose, and that is one of my favorite features of the golf course.
My problem is usually I end up in the middle of the bunkers...

The Olympics, and the sound are both still in view from the clubhouse.
I got a mini tour of the clubhouse and locker room for the first time just two days ago, which was cool.

The greens are also very nice.  The contours are big, smooth, and can even dictate where to place your tee ball.  Very strategic.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 11:09:56 PM »
Sean maybe I overstated my case.  I like Seattle fine.  It is a very typical old NW course and was so before Palmer massaged it.  

Jordan, glad to hear Matt has things under control.  Last time I played there there was mud sloshing over my shoes on some of the lower holes.  It, admittedly has been a couple of years.  Seattle is afterall not the easiest on in the area.  

Did they remove those fruit trees to the left of 16?  Never understood why they planted trees that blocked the view of the pond?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 12:43:29 AM »
Cos,

The fruit trees are still there.  I think the reason they were planted was to create seperation bewtween 16 and 17, plus the fact that some mishit tee shots on 16 were going toward 17's tee box.  I think the seperation of holes adds to the overall 'awe' of the course.  I just played it today and it still felt special to be there although I knew that I had probably played it thirty or so times before.  I dont know why, but for me its a magical place.  I get a different feeling there than I have any other course -- Sahalee, Aldarra, you name it.  I dont know why, but there is just something special about that place.

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »
"Garland, this new irrigation system should make drainage great year round."

Jordan,

How does a new irrigation system help drainage?  Wouldn't a new drainage system help drainage?  Was this done at the same time as the new irrigation system?  Does anyone have photographs of the course that can be posted?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
Wayne,

A new drainage system was also put in, yes.
The course will remain in great shape year round.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:12:23 AM by Jordan Wall »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back