News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Womens' British Open
« on: May 04, 2007, 11:23:58 AM »
The Womens' British Open may be coming to the North. I think RCD and Portrush are being looked at. I suppose the seniors has been played there a few times, so maybe it's not big news.
John Marr(inan)

David_Tepper

Re:Womens' British Open
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
Jack -

I think that is good news, both for the Women's Euro Tour and for Northern Ireland. Clearly, the Women's British Open has been upraded thru the quality of the courses they have played the past several years (Lytham St. Annes, Sunningdale and TOC this year).

I am sure the locals will support the event with a strong turnout if it comes. It would be nice if a couple of young Irish gals could develop as contenders by the time the event is played.

DT  

Sean Walsh

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
I am looking forward to the Women's Open at TOC this year.  Good to hear it may going to hit further glorius fields in the future.

One quick quiz.

How much time do you think TOC green staff will have to prepare for this year's Open at TOC?

One qucik advertisment.

Anyone that knows a potential participant in this year's Women's Open please alert them to the presence of one keen Australian Caddie in St Andrews.  ;D

(Sorry Jack.  Threadjacking over.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:45:12 PM by Sean Walsh »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:28:28 PM »
I am looking forward to the Women's Open at TOC this year.  Good to hear it may going to hit further glorius fields in the future.

One quick quiz.

How much time do you think TOC green staff will have to prepare for this year's Open at TOC?

One qucik advertisment.

Anyone that knows a potential participant in this year's Women's Open please alert them to the presence of one keen Australian Caddie in St Andrews.  ;D

(Sorry Jack.  Threadjacking over.)
Is the answer to the quiz: 0 (maybe work on Sunday when course is closed?)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »
Any guesses as to what the winning score will be at TOC?  Under par?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:37:01 PM by Kalen Braley »

Sean Walsh

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
It will be under par unless it really blows.

This is my estimation of how some of the holes might play.

1 & 2 Take par and move on.
3 Poss Birdie
4 Avoid Bogey
6 Poss Birdie
8 Poss Birdie
9 Birdie
10 Poss Birdie
11 Don't be too concerned walking off with a 4
12 If the wind is against at all lay up.  If the wind is neutral consider taking on the carry and then lay up.  Poss Birdie.
13 Aim for a 5 anything better is a bonus
14 Avoid a big score.  Take par
15 Avoid Bogey.
16 Play safe.  Take par
17 Take par (by that I mean 5) Anything better is a bonus.
18 PossBirdie.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
It will be under par unless it really blows.

This is my estimation of how some of the holes might play.

1 & 2 Take par and move on.
3 Poss Birdie
4 Avoid Bogey
6 Poss Birdie
8 Poss Birdie
9 Birdie
10 Poss Birdie
11 Don't be too concerned walking off with a 4
12 If the wind is against at all lay up.  If the wind is neutral consider taking on the carry and then lay up.  Poss Birdie.
13 Aim for a 5 anything better is a bonus
14 Avoid a big score.  Take par
15 Avoid Bogey.
16 Play safe.  Take par
17 Take par (by that I mean 5) Anything better is a bonus.
18 PossBirdie.

Are they skipping 5 and 7?  ;D  Probable birdie and par.  It all depends on the wind.

I would love to see them play #14.  I sat in the bleachers for a couple of hours at the 2005 Open and Hell bunker was never a factor, even from 618 yards, downwind.  I suspect it will indeed be a factor for the ladies which will make for fun golf watching again.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 03:02:58 AM »
I wouldn't be so quick to call 5 a birdie Bill.

My main interest on 5 would be to see the number of women who lay up short of the bunkers and how they fare v's those who go for it in 2.  

Driving Average for the top female is 278.  This drops below 260 once you go past number 15.  So let's give them 20yds extra roll for links terrain.  280 yds.  

Hole O'Cross is 514.  So average drive for most of the field leaves 234 to the centre of the green.  That's going to be a very long club for most of the women unless it's well downwind.

Re No 7 you're right it will probably average somewhere around Par.  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 03:05:22 AM by Sean Walsh »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 05:22:11 PM »
http://sport.scotsman.com/golf.cfm?id=681592007

The links will play to a par of 73 for the ladies and will measure 6067 yards, some 641 yards shorter than the tees for the last men's Open won by Tiger Woods in 2005. Even so, it will still be the longest course ever used at the British Women's.

Although the LGU are quite at ease about playing the Old Course, a public facility where women have always enjoyed the same rights as men, Burn had to explain the decision to accept the hospitality of the R&A to use their clubhouse. Women golfers will get changed in the men-only facility for the first time since it was built in 1853, partly because the LGU appreciate the special circumstances surrounding club membership in the Auld Toun where there are five single-sex clubs, two all-female and three men-only.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back