News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

TEPaul

Never say Tiger doesn't have a good sense of humor
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:17:45 PM »
Just got this email:

"That was a lot of fun yesterday.  Got this e-mail from a friend of mine from Charlotte who was at a Wachovia Championship tourney dinner last night:

Got to hear David Ferherty speak tonight. Damn, that's one funny Irishman.

Lots of stories. He thinks none of us really understand how good Tiger is.  Says that anyone who wins a major with Tiger in the field should be exponential credited. Mickelson doesn't have three majors. He has nine.

Told this one to show Tiger's sense of humor:  

Said Tiger was walking along side him during a tournament and turned and had this exchange:

Tiger: Hey, David. What do you call a black man flying an airplane?

David: I don't know Tiger.

Tiger: A pilot. You f*cking racist."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:19:40 PM by TEPaul »

Rich Goodale

Re:Never say Tiger doesn't have a good sense of humor
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:57 PM »
Tiger doesn't have a good sense of humor.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »
Say goodnight Ricardo

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.....

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Tiger is reputed to have a very good sense of humor, but after the fiasco when he first turned pro, you won't see him joking around much in public situations.

He does however, get off a good liine now and then in press conferences.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »
What fiasco after he first turned pro?

I think Tiger's got an excellent sense of humor - the line he dropped on Fred Funk lining up his putt at the Skins game was priceless.

I just wish he'd show it more...then again he might not be Tiger if he did.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »

Interview in Esquire mag (I think) with a few off-color jokes that he told.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »

Interview in Esquire mag (I think) with a few off-color jokes that he told.

I think he also believed that he was speaking off the record, as opposed to being interviewed or recorded.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »
Here's another example of Tiger Woods' practical joke playing sense of humor:

Maybe I posted this on here before and maybe I didn't but I couldn't remember who told me this and yesterday I was reminded of it because it was our head professional who apparently knows the lady chef on Tiger's humongous yacht appropriately named "PRIVACY".

Anyway as some know apparently Tiger's second love sport is scuba diving.

So this lady chef is in the yacht's kitchen (galley for you nautically proper people) and Tiger comes crawling into the galley on his stomach and reaches around a corner and releases this live lobster he's just caught right underneath her. Obviously when she sees it she screams to high heaven and almost has a heart attack only to hear Tiger on his stomach behind the corner dying with laughter.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 01:50:27 PM »
What as the Funk line?

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »
What as the Funk line?

After Annika outdrove Funk on the 3rd hole, Funk put on the skirt (as most saw on highlights) over his pants.

Funk had about a 20 footer that he was squatting behind his ball to line up as all guys do...except with a skirt on.

Woods went to the opposite side of the hole to "help" line it up from the opposite angle behind the hole...squatted just like Funk to read the putt.

Funk - "What do you think, Tiger?"
Tiger - "I think it's one...no...no make that two balls out"

Robert_Walker

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »
It was a writer on assignment for GQ, and it happend in the winter of 1997.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »
(galley for you nautically proper people)

Hamilton B. Hearst (Hammy or Admiral Hammy or Captain Hammy) please do take note......

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
Oh, he has a sense of humor.  He played with Michael Jordan in the Wachovia pro-am yesterday -- probably the first time in his career he wasn't the focus of attention.

They are reportedly good friends who enjoy a friendly match.  Tiger stepped on MJ's ball in one fairway, and tossed it in the water on another hole.

Pretty entertaining stories on the tournament website (wachoviachampionship.com) and the local paper (charlotte.com).

Also nice to see that threesome roll through their first nine in 90 minutes.  Had to wait on the 10th tee since they caught up to the groups starting there.

Ken

Tom Yost

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »

After Annika outdrove Funk on the 3rd hole, Funk put on the skirt (as most saw on highlights) over his pants.

Anyone else think the only reason the short hitting Funk was invited to the Skins Game was to set up the skirt joke?

Tom

Doug Ralston

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »
No, there were plenty of other reasons, without the 'tin foil' explanations.

Let Tiger be Tiger.

Doug

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 03:17:08 AM »
Brian,
 just read TSG and saw he requested Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinegarette, which from memory has garlic in it. As per the instructions, Tiger is allergic to garlic. So I went to the Newman's website and sure enough:

All Natural Ingredients:

Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil and/or Soybean Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Water, Balsamic Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Garlic, Distilled Vinegar, Spice, Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Xanthan Gum, Paprika (For Color)

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 03:27:51 AM »
Damn , I thought I had found a weakness  :)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 04:02:21 AM »
You did. Tiger thinks he is allergic to garlic!

Well, I can assure you that he would make a horrible greezeball Eyetalian!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 05:15:29 AM »
For a real sense of humor on the same subject as Tiger's lame joke, you just have to go to the Greatest........

"....Ali, having said how impressed he is that blacks fly the planes in Africa ("Usually you feel safer if you see a white face flying a plane"), does this wonderful volte-face into vaudeville: "I never believe the bull-- that the pilots is all Black. I keep looking for the secret closet where they hide the white man until the trouble starts."

Dan Boerger

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »
I like the one I heard when he was playing with Charles Barkley ...

Tiger: Did you hear where they're opening up the new Super Wal-Mart?

Barkley: No, where.

Tiger: Between your drive and mine.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »
In a television interview that included Tiger and Barkley (although they were clearly in two different places) Tiger was promoting his book by explaining if anyone really paid attention to his instructions it would inevitably help them. Barkley had been saying how remarkably talented Tiger was but when he heard Tiger say that he said; "Wait a minute, he can't be that good a teacher because he hasn't helped me." Tiger heard that and said: "Let me amend that, my book can help anyone but nothing can help Barkley."

(But ultimately in those TV commercials Tiger seemed more considerate of Barkley's lack of talent than Tiger's headcover). ;)

Not to mention Tiger's most recent commercials where he tackles some guy trying to steal his clubs and slowly drags his bag with the guy attached to it back to where it was. Hilarious stuff really. Or the other one where Tiger just picks up a practice ball and beans the guy and drops him.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »
Fuzzy Zoeller says hey
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 02:24:32 AM »
In a television interview that included Tiger and Barkley (although they were clearly in two different places) Tiger was promoting his book by explaining if anyone really paid attention to his instructions it would inevitably help them. Barkley had been saying how remarkably talented Tiger was but when he heard Tiger say that he said; "Wait a minute, he can't be that good a teacher because he hasn't helped me." Tiger heard that and said: "Let me amend that, my book can help anyone but nothing can help Barkley."

(But ultimately in those TV commercials Tiger seemed more considerate of Barkley's lack of talent than Tiger's headcover). ;)

Not to mention Tiger's most recent commercials where he tackles some guy trying to steal his clubs and slowly drags his bag with the guy attached to it back to where it was. Hilarious stuff really. Or the other one where Tiger just picks up a practice ball and beans the guy and drops him.

Agree completely. Tiger would be a rare bird if he exhibited the kind of  delivery that he does in commercials, yet did not have a sense of humor. I have always that his timing and facial expressions were near impeccable. Not easy to do if you aren't an actor and don't have a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:25:22 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back