News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

When having a 2nd par 5 is more important than
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:20:39 PM »
maintaining the integrity of a Devereaux Emmett masterpiece where the golfing wager most commonly used orginated.  This was probably Emmett's most championship tournament worthy course in metro-NY.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re:When having a 2nd par 5 is more important than
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:35:26 AM »
Though Doak gave this course a so-so rating.  I think that this was a great course that needed to lose thousands of trees.  This was one of the last NY metro courses to become heavily treed.  This current project might actually be a positive after the Cupp decimation of Forse's unfinished restoration.  Every bunker was designed with a soft Mickey Mouse's ears appearance.  The sad reality was that there was up to 50 yards that a new 4th tee could have moved back to make it play as a softer dogleg.  The 3rd green was a cool subtle design that played very similar to the 1st at Shinny.  Many bogeys were scored with wedges in the last Met Open.  Why is it so important to have 2 par 5's?  This club and Wannamoisset seemed to do very well with a single par 5.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 07:17:23 AM »
RMD,

Sorry to get off the subject of this particular golf course.  However, yesterday Tom and I visited our good buddy Adam Jessie at St. Georges GC in Stony Brook, NY on Long Island.  That is a fascinating Dev Emmett course with some awesome rolling fairways.  It is a bit tight in spots but has some marvelous features such as dual hole bunkers, mounds and architecture.  It is a nice glimpse of golf architecture from the its origin in 1915 and opening in 1917.  From your comments and SGGC and Leatherstocking that I have seen, Emmett certainly is worth studying.

There is a bit of Macdonald influence still visible.  In fact, a number of holes were originally named as such though something is missing and today they seem a nominal connection only.  Some of the named holes include Sahara, Bottle, Perfection, Cape, Maiden and Knoll.  It is a very interesting course on the north shore.  Anybody visiting this part of Long Island should take a look around.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:19:06 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:50:25 AM »
RMD:  I don't even know which course you are talking about, based on the clues you gave and a photo looking across a pond from one hole to another.

John Nixon

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »
RMD:  I don't even know which course you are talking about, based on the clues you gave and a photo looking across a pond from one hole to another.

Agreed. Not to single out this particular occurrence, but please, if you're going to discuss a course, let the rest of us know which course it is.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:11:32 AM by John Nixon »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:32:52 AM »
This is Nassau Country Club, in Glen Cove, NY.
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 09:05:20 AM »
Bill,

True.  But a closeness to the subject doesn't necessarily make one wrong, especially in my case where I said it is my opinion.  

Now I must chastise you for mentioning Lehigh and Engineers in the same post as Shinnecock.  Go get Mike Malone's dunce cap on and don't take it off until I give you permission  ;D

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 11:53:33 AM »
I did not mention Nassau intentionally.  It seemed like a good idea to see if anyone could figure out the course.  Since there are so many investigation savy particapants, this seemed like a good exercise.  At one time this course was considered the best course on LI's north shore.  It is truely a  championship course--easily the most difficult in Nassau County.  Perhaps the  Augusta imitation 12th , which is the new 3rd, and the change to a fairly long par 5 will be well done.  However, this was  an awesome Emmett that simply needed major tree clearing and a few new tees.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »
The Long Island Open is at Nassau this year, should be interesting to see how it stacks up.

John_Cullum

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
That bunkering looks more like what I expect to see in my part of the world
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 07:04:37 PM »
I do not think any course needs a certain number of par 5's. In fact many classic courses would do well to make one or more par 5's into strong 4's moving par to 71 or 70.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 11:43:10 PM »
Nassau

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »
Mike,

The Long Island Open used to be held on Bethpage Red every year. Is this a change for just this year or has it now being played at different locations?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back