News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Wild Horse -- They build it and YOU must go!
« on: September 08, 2002, 08:08:14 PM »
I just got back from a rather interesting and fun trek to Colorado, New Mexico and a quick trip to Gothenberg, Nebraska and the well known and much talked about Wild Horse Golf Club.

I've heard a good deal about this Dave Axland & Dan Proctor course for quite some time from a host of sources -- most recently when Mike Cirba, Geoff Childs, et al, visited during their summer trip to Sand Hills.

In one word I say this about Wild Horse -- WOW!

Here's what you get at Wild Horse ...

1). Firm and fast playing conditions
2). Always wind blowing -- if you're a whiner stay home!
3). Unique routing that constantly keeps you guessing
4). A desire to play a wide assortment of shots that factor in both the air and ground aspects.
5). Dynamic putting greens that look easy but play hard if you ever get lazy with your iron play.
6). Fascinating bunker positioning -- creative usage of having bunkers in the center of holes to make the player decide how to navigate around or over them.

There are a number of other points I can make, but anyone who treasures the items I just mentioned SHOULD take the time and effort to go there.

I had the pleasure in playing Sand Hills right after it opened and even had the opportunity to play Heritage Hills in nearby McCook but could not get to Wild Horse until this year. The visit to the course confirmed without question that quality public courses can be built without all the bell and whistles and all the other crap you see being passed off as quality public golf.

The only real issue I have with Wild Horse is that on many of the holes it pays to play a slight fade. I played from the extreme tees and there was, as a local put it, a gentle summer wind when I was playing (no less than 15-20 mph). If you do play a draw, as I do, you must swing the ball over the deep hale and pity you if it doesn't come back.

The last comment I have is that I would put the par-4 8th (451 yards) as one of the finest long holes I have ever played in public golf. The hole moves slightly to the right and the day I was there it was right into the teeth of that "gentle" wind. I busted a driver and hit the tiny alleyway (great name for the hole!) that rises and falls into a tiny neck. It was the best shot of my day given the wind conditions and demands of the hole. Let me also point out that a superb craggy bunker is your direction point on the left and it takes a good shot to get into the bunker because high rough encircles the bunker like the Secret Service around the President. Miss the bunker and you land in the hay and at that point anything goes.

In my case I had about 130 yards left into the hole but the pin was set all the way back and there was a slight ridge just in front of the pin. I must have hit no less than a half a dozen shots in order to pitch and run a ball back to that position and only on the last effort did I get a ball within 15 feet.

Wild Horse could use a few more overall yards (6,805 yards / par-72 / course rating from tips -- 73.0 and 125 slope) but that's more of personal preference.

Let me also add that the 16th (445 yards and into the "gentle" breeze) is also one helluva hole and for those who have played the course the pin was cut front right and anything but sheer perfection would either bounce towards the bunker on the right or simply fall back towards the fairway if you came up a bit short. Superb!

I've played a good number of so-called quality public courses over the years but Wild Horse is a out and out winner. The people are as friendly as can be and the game is the paramount thing when you're there. If you want hoopla stay home!

Gothenberg is not easy to get to but on my way back to Denver this past Friday I was thrilled to play such a tour de force layout. As Kevin Costner said in "Field of Dreams" -- build it and they shall come. I'm certainly glad I did and urge anyone who hasn't played it to make the pilgrimage. And, if by some strange circumstance, you also play Sand Hills while out there, you have hit the jackpot big time!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Cirba

Re: Wild Horse -- They build it and YOU must go!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 08:13:11 PM »
Matt;

So good to hear you enjoyed it as much as we did!

However, I was disappointed to see you neglect mention of the 15th, which is one of the finest short par fours I've ever seen.  

In fact, it may be the only hole I've ever seen where your preferred target on a shot of less than 75 yards might be OFF the green, to the left or right!!  

As much as I love #10 at Riviera, 15 at Wild Horse might be as good if not better!

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 08:38:08 PM »
Matt, my heart is already racing near redline with anticipation.  Are you trying to kill me?    

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 09:42:17 PM »
hehehehe ;D 8)

Matt, did you see any of those rich cornhuskers playing in Cutter and Buck bib overhauls!

Seriously, how did the native grasses look.  They have had devistating heat and drought.  I am wondering what condition that has the rough in.  I'm guessing that it is sparse and dry and quite playable, as it should be ideally.  I'm anxious to see how that aspect of the course came through the hot dry summer.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

brad miller

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 03:19:44 AM »
Matt, glad you enjoyed WH, you should also find great pleasure when you make it to Rustic Canyon. If you enjoy these you will be in for a real treat at that other new east end Long Island track. What is more FUN to play WH or The Bridge?

Grover_Mace

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 03:52:51 AM »
Matt Ward
Delicious report. Golf on the prarie is tough to beat. I don't understand your point #2 about the wind....what do you mean if you are whiner stay home...is that is a misprint? Golf and wind...very natural. What kept you guessing about the routing? Do you normally try to anticipate how the course unfolds?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 05:04:34 AM »
Couple of quick replies ...

Mike C:

Can't argue with about the 15th although to be honest I did drive the green. ;D

Let me also add that missing the green to the left is where you face a very demanding approach as you must skillfully loft the shot or bounce it up ther slope to the green. Hit it too hard and the ball runs quickly away.

Fantastic the way the green is angled and the one lone bunker on the right is neatly set to deter a bombs away mentality on the tee!

Another hole of note -- the par-3 11th. Although it's only 126 yards the pin was flush right set on a small rise with the bunker ont he right pushing in quite close. Unless you landed the ball deftly short of the pin it was a real chore to get close given the wind was with you and from the right.

Brad M:

I still love The Bridge, but since my roots are from the public side of the ledger I would be hard pressed to name two better courses that are public / private than Wild Horse and Sand Hills that are so near each other (when I say near I'm speaking about in Nebraska terms not Jersey ones!).

Let me also point out that Heritage Hills in McCook is also quite good althohg it doesn't have the detail and complexity as Wild Horse.

Slag B:

All I can say partner is get there sooooon ...

RJ Daley:

The native rough grasses are a bit burned out from the steady diet of sunshine and near drought conditions that have come into play this summer in the region. There ARE places where you can advance the ball a good ways, but, as you well know, anyone foolish enough to believe that you can always anticipate a shot from the hay is smoking some intense weed!

I have to give plenty of credit to superintendent Josh Mahar. I played a few wonderful layouts in New Mexico (I will post more on another thread) that are simply well over-watered beyond what is really needed. Wild Horse is not cement hard -- it is firm. You can still spin the shot but anyone thinking you can hit half-ass shots that will stop on command is just not thinking straight.

Dick, I know you've played the course a good bit of times and my only suggestion would be for the group there to consider placing a few more extensions to the back tees -- just a personal preference. Give you one example -- the par-4 12th is a fine hole. I just love the treat of driving the ball over the slight rise (a common feature when playing) on the right and not knowing the final outcome until you reach the ball when you walk towards the hole. I credit the architects in placing a huge bunker that is blind on the right, but I was able to land a couple of tee shots, from the tips, over that bunker and have no more than 70 yards into the green.

If another tee could be created just a bit further back and stretch the hole to 460-470 yards and angled a bit to the right that would keep the challenge in tact for the longer hitter. To be fair -- even though I had gained the corner the shot I had left was no bargain because the pin was set in the back right middle just over a slight rise. I had to play a pitch and run and let the ball feed gently to the hole without having it run too far past.

Grover M:

When I speak about the wind I am referring to pseudo-golfers who CAN ONLY play when conditions are such that no wind is blowing and everything is spelled out in such a banal manner.

I thoroughly enjoy the challenge that Wild Horse presents and believe real golfers will find that to be their cup of tea as well.

As far as the routing is concerned I credit the architectural duo in moving the player around the site in such a skillful manner. You cannot "settle in" on a belief that shotmaking will become predictable -- you must constantly think very carefully and precisely when you hit each tee and shape each play accordingly. As a long hitter I often try to grab holes by the throat and just let loose. Wild Horse does pay dividends for long and well positioned shots but you can't ever lose sight of ball position for the next shot. That, in my mind, makes for a superior course -- what happens with the next shot!

My only small reservation about the course is the amount of shots that call for fades from the tee for the right-handed player. On no less than eight holes the ability to work the ball left-to-right is the preferred play.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2002, 05:49:56 AM »
Rod Whitman and I visited Wild Horse last week, both for the first time. We were equally impressed.

Wild Horse is as good as described above; perhaps even better. The Green fee is only $30, and you could be a member for one year for only $375! Amazing.

Brad Klein wrote an excellent review of Wild Horse in the July 20, 2002 issue of Golfweek that also appears in the August 9, 2002 issue of Golfweek's Superintendent News.  

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 06:29:41 AM »

Matt,

I played 2 rounds at Wildhorse in July and there was absolutely no wind!

It truly is a fabulous course.

Doug Wright

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 09:25:50 AM »
Matt et al. You're whetting my appetite big time!  ;D

Reminder: RJ Daley, others and I will be at Wild Horse the weekend of October 5-6 for a Golfapalooza tm.

Note: this is Not an Official GCA Outing (thanks for the reminder Rich)  :)  :)

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2002, 10:01:52 AM »
First of all, for those planning on playing there Oct 4-6, PLEASE SEE MY LATEST POST ON THE OTHER WILD HORSE THREAD.  I'VE BUNGLED THE SATURDAY TEE TIMES :'(

Matt:  I am in complete agreement with the potential for a further back tee for the big boys on 12 and 17.  I myself don't have that kind of strength off the tee, and the 12th hole is well set up for me and most average players.  But, I have often thought that is one location for sure that the back tee from an angle further right would be very exciting for players of that level.  I also agree about the thrill factor of the drive cresting the hill on 12 depending at what angle and ball flight to give you that dimension of anxious anticipation walking over the crest to find out how good the tee ball turns out ;)  That same flavor off a tee ball over a crest with potential for exciting mixed results is found off the tees at 14 and 17 and 6 and 8.  If there might be one criticism is that while the ball flights do result in diverse results of rolls down fairway channels over the crests of those saddled hills that are at slightly differing angles of play, the 12-14-17 are in the same northerly direction, and they all have the prevailing wind. While 6 and 8 are into the generally prevailing wind.  

But, they have room to make this a real test for the longest of hitters, if they ever find the need to do so.  But, in reality, further back tees would be for a very small percentage of players of that kind of length.  Unless technology continues an insidious assault on golf course design through diminishing length challenge off tees.   :-/
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2002, 10:14:38 AM »
I'm still in utter, complete awe at someone having 130 in on #8.  My god, there's long and then there's LONG.

I don't think tees exist that challenge length like that.  At least not that should be created, realistically... the percentage of people requiring such a tee for challenge is so infentesimally small as to make creation of such a HUGE luxury.  That being said, the room for such is there at Wild Horse....

Interesting, I'm a left to right player and I didn't notice a preponderance of left to right holes at all... going over it in my mind, I still don't... In fact I had the exact opposite reaction, wishing I could draw the ball there!  I know 10 and 12 and 18 favor a fade... but 1 and 8 and the shortish par 5 on the back (13?) favor a draw... the rest I didn't see favoring one way or the other (but this is just off the top of my head)....

GREAT course in any case.  Wonderful review, Matt.

TH
one of the et al that played with Cirba and Childs

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2002, 10:31:57 AM »
Tom H:

Keep in mind the line I played on #8 was extremely risky because the slightest push to the right would have been major league hay city!

I did hit the downslope on the right side and given it was a low right-to-left shot I was able to max out on the roll. Tom, no doubt #8 is a major league test even if the wind dropped, however, I was told by locals the hole is usually into the wind during summer months.

When you say about fades at Wild Horse -- here are a few I can remember --

#2, #3, #6, #8, #10, #12, #16 and #18

On each of these holes it's best to work the ball that way. Clearly, if you hit a dead straight shot it won't hurt you either way.

Tom, when I mention about adding a bit more length at Wild Horse I really mean in just a few instances. I'm not advocating the course be turned upside down by any means.
The facility can easily switch the par-5's on the back side toi long par-4's because downwind on both holes I hit driver-pw to #14 and driver-9 iron to #17 although I just missed landing in the bunker that sits in the middle of the fairway on that hole. I also think the par-5's are probably the weakest feature of the course although the 6th is a solid hole. Tightening up the areas around the green may make a few players think twice before giving it a go on those holes.

Of course, if the wind turned around those club selections would not be possible. I wonder how others believe the course plays when the wind switches out of the north. Does it play harder or easier?

As I said before one of the grand features in playing Wild Horse is the positioning of bunkers RIGHT in the middle of fairways. I wish other architects would duplicate this because flanking bunkers today have little meaning. Putting bunkers squarely in front of the player makes you think carefully in either flying over them or around them. It adds so much to the strategic mix when playing.

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2002, 10:41:12 AM »
Matt:

I was there for one day in June and we got what was said to be the prevailing wind.  #8 was into it pretty severely - thus my awe at getting a shot to 130 on that hole.  Oh, I can see catching the rightside turboboost - thanks for the explanation there - but that is scary long still!  We were hitting woods and low irons into that green so you're talk about a "pitch" over that ridge on the green might as well have been written in Greek.   ;)
One way or the other it is a GREAT golf hole and it actually pleases me it troubles the long bashers also.

Re fades off the tee, well... I don't buy that such helps on either 2 or 3.  Maybe a little... so take those away and it's pretty close - close enought such that I can't see a point of mentioning this either way!  But no hassles.

And re adding length - don't get me wrong - I concur with you and RJD that such could be added to 12 and 15 most definitely to give guys like you more of a challenge.  Multiple tees to use in different winds would be cool also, and as I say they do seem to have room!

And well said and right on re bunkers in middle of fairways... damn I wish the world of public golf had more of that.

BTW, what did you think of #9?  In our group some liked it, some didn't.  I kinda liked it myself... but I am partial to those knoll-type green sites.  Any thoughts on that?

Re #11, Brad Miller came up with a great idea of a tee way back up on the hill, stretching it to 200+.  Maybe that takes away the short par 3 needed on the course, but #9 fits that bill... whaddya think?  Sounds very interesting to me....

TH

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2002, 10:53:27 AM »
Tom H:

I always like the idea of multiple tees -- for the added benefit of distance and more importantly for different playing angles.

One of the more demanding shots I had to play at Wild Horse was the short SW into #11 with the pin cut tight right near the front right and hanging close to the bunker. The wind was blowing strong from right-to-left and unless your name is Lee Trevino it would be very difficult to get an approach closer than 15 feet.

Wild Horse has that possibility in adding different tees and it may be something for the powers-that-be to consider.

I liked the 9th hole -- either from the existing back tee or from another that may be added. I will tell you candidly that the 4th hole is not the 7 handicap hole for nothing. ;D

Even with the wind coming from left-to-right the pin was cut deep into the back corner of the green and I could not get a soft 9-iron to stop near the flag. A superb hole for control of the blade.

One last thought -- if they added another tee to #18 but pushed more to the right it would add a bit more demand to those thinking of cutting off too much of the corner.

Hope this helps ...

P.S. Your darn right about being "scared" of #8. A superb hole without doubt! Now that I know what troubles lurk I would likely play the hole differently because the margin for hitting driver there is very demanding. A 1-iron to the fairway might be the better percentage play and then even if you have a longer approach you don't run the risk of finding the buffalo weed to the right or left.

THuckaby2

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2002, 10:58:38 AM »
This helps tremendously, thanks Matt.

GREAT call re #4.  Our groups played every sort of shot into there and no one could get the ball anywhere near the back right pin.  I kinda like the fact the green DOESN'T sling it to the right in a reverse-redan kinda way - and though they say it does, it really doesn't, the slope isn't enough to make it happen... For such a short shot (given it's generally downwind) that makes for a bigger thrill WITHOUT the "nader" feature!  Just so head-scratchingly weird and tough, I loved it.  There MUST be a way to get to that pin... I just have neither seen it nor figured it out yet.

11 is one hell of a green site also... oh yeah, damn tough to hit and hold from even the shortest of shots.

Isn't it great we can go on and on re this wonderful, low-priced public course?  I swear you could find something to talk about on every hole...

Great call re 18 tee, btw.

TH

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2002, 02:46:08 PM »
One last item I forgot to mention but a few asked me offline how I would rate Wild Horse using the Doak scale.

I'd give the course no less than a 7.5 and with just a few tweaks I can see the course easily being an 8.

From those who have played the course I wonder what rating number they would apply?

Thanks!

Grover_Mace

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2002, 03:54:40 PM »
Matt
That is fabulous. An 8 would place it in the top 25 in the USA! Two courses in the top 25 for Nebraska, who said we didn't have great golf here in the Midlands. I reckon NJ, Conn or Mass do not have two courses in the top 25!

Josh Mahar

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2002, 05:32:17 PM »
Matt, good review.  Thanks for the compliment on conditions.  
We have kicked around some lengthened tees and they will probably happen someday, but if you only have 130 into #8 with a good breeze then we will NEVER challenge your length--IMPRESSIVE!  
I agree with Tom H that 2,3,8 could be played either way but probably favor a slight fade for a big knocker like you.  Interestingly the architects both favor a draw!!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2002, 06:35:44 PM »
Josh:

The real need as I see it for Wild Horse is in picking up the challenge in the par-5's. Minus the 6th I don't view them as being among the strengths of the course. This is particularly so when the wind favors you on two on the back side. Both play in the same direction and are in need of some serious thought. Must the fairway at the 14th be THAT generous?

I would also think the one or two of the short par-4's could be strengthened. Why not have the championship tee on the 1st be set on the hill near the clubhouse? You not only pick up valuable yardage but provide a stunning view that overlooks all of the property.

I also believe putting in various tees with different angles also increases the demand without necessarily going for mega extra yardage. Having a tee just five degrees to one side or the other can change a hole in a major way given the strength of the daily winds that blow through the property.

Let's also place the tee shot I hit on #8 into perspective. I busted it yes, but the boost I got from the right side was also tremendously helpful and with dry fairways I got every last yard. Knowing the danger that exists on that hole now I have a far different appreciation on what must be done and clearly my club preference off the tee will be influenced the next time I play that hole.

Before closing -- congratulations in the manner in which you daily prepare the course. Wild Horse is a clear example on how public golf can be in America today.

All the best and I look forward to my return engagement to the course. ;)

Grover_Mace

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2002, 06:43:39 PM »
Matt Ward
Did you get an opportunity to visit your mentor Ron Whitten when traveling to Wild Horse? If you did what is his opinion of the course?

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2002, 09:55:23 PM »
Grover,  Check out...

www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/

Scroll to Nebraska

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2002, 11:03:43 PM »

The real need as I see it for Wild Horse is in picking up the challenge in the par-5's. Minus the 6th I don't view them as being among the strengths of the course. This is particularly so when the wind favors you on two on the back side. Both play in the same direction and are in need of some serious thought. Must the fairway at the 14th be THAT generous?

I would also think the one or two of the short par-4's could be strengthened. Why not have the championship tee on the 1st be set on the hill near the clubhouse? You not only pick up valuable yardage but provide a stunning view that overlooks all of the property.

I'm not trying to nitpick, I really have enjoyed the writeup & posts thus far, I just have a couple questions:

1) Is it really necessary to strengthen the par 5s? If it's a competition, everyone has to play the same hole, so what difference does a stronger par 5 make? And if it's just individual play, just think of them as long par 4s.

2) What is the point of adding yardage to short par 4s? Isn't the whole point of a short par 4 that it's short? I could see adding a different angle or maybe a way out bunker to challenge you big boys, but yardage?

Please note: I am not asking these questions to be mean, I simply seek clarification (and maybe some enlightenment).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2002, 02:51:51 AM »
It's the par 3's at WH that are weak to other World Class Golf Courses, not the 4s and 5s.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2002, 03:34:29 AM »
Grover M:

I did not have the opportunity to visit with anyone since my travel plans were quite tight to visit a wide range of courses in the Colorado and New Mexico area -- plus my singular trek to Wild Horse.

I believe Ron Whitten has already weighed in on Wild Horse and gave the facility a 9.1 out of a maximum 10 on his scale. I believe you can find his entire analysis of the course on the GolfDigest.com site.

George P:

I would first have to ask have you played Wild Horse? Keep in mind my comments are about small additions to a course that I already believe is a very good one.

The par-5's, minus the 6th, are quite tame. Does that mean they have to be drastically altered? No. What I am saying is that some element of additional risk and reward needs to be incorporated otherwise you give too much of an advantage to the longer hitter. The two on the back side both go in the same direction. And, as I previously pointed out, the width of the 14th is so wide so all one wants to do is sit back and launch with little penalty. At least the 17th has a neat centrally located bunker to keep you attention.

On the par-4 side a gentle tweaking of two of the holes does not mean a complete wholesale alteration. There are plenty of vintage short par-4's at the course. Mike Cirba mentioned the 15th and I quite agree. There are others on the front side -- including the well done 7th hole.

George, you raise a good point about providing different angles or the addition of another centrally located bunker on the holes. I too agree with that as a possible option.

What makes Wild Horse so fascinating is all the different options that might be incorporated if pursued but the existing course is still a wonderful treat if nothing ever changed.

guest:

You say the par-3's are the main area of emphasis in any effort of alteration. I can understand that point but believe the existing 4th is a wonderful mid-length par-3 as it stands today. Getting close to just about any pin location on such a skillfully created putting surface is no easy chore.

The 9th could stand a bit more length and if that were increased over 200 yards I believe the green is more than big enough to handle the additional yardage.

I personally like the 11th. Having a short hole at 126 yards is rather interesting particularly as it is squeezed between the mid-length par-4 10th and the longer par-4 12th. When the pin is placed near the front getting the approach close is never an easy play.

The par-3 13th might also stand for some element of modification. It has a good amount of length but the tee shot does not expose oneself to any real sufficient risk.

You also mentioned the aspect of world class golf courses. That becomes a very tricky statement. I really enjoyed Wild Horse but I would not place the course in my personal top 50. That statement does not mean that I think anything less of the course -- I am eagerly looking forward to a return visit. I would be most curious to understand what other courses you would place Wild Horse above or in the company of.

Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back