News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Lloyd Cole, Journalist
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »
Lloyd,

Well done you! I now am very much looking forward to my round at Ganton BUDA time.

The link:
http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/articles/golf-my-favorite-course/

It's very difficult to write a short article -- perhaps you could fill us in on what about Ganton you liked that wasn't included.

Cheers,
Mark

Bill_McBride

Re:Lloyd Cole, Journalist
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 11:42:16 PM »
Quoting Lloyd Cole:

"Ganton's terrain undulates gently on firm, springy heathland turf. There are no serious climbs, except, perhaps, those in and out of the bunkers, several of which have their own staircases. These are the protectors of par at Ganton, deep and penal in character, to be sure, but not so in their placement, as this is very much a strategic test of golf. A perfectly pleasant afternoon may be spent in steering well clear of them, but to score we must carry them, skirt them and positively flirt with them, and there is the thrill of real sport to be had in doing so."

That's a perfect description of a great strategic course, rather than a lot of modern courses where the objective is to play between the fairway bunkers and then between the greenside bunkers.  No strategic play, just penal.

Nice review, succinct but captures the essence of Ganton.  I haven't played there but this brief article makes me want to.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:01:01 AM »
His piece on the Sandbelt will be eagerly awaited, wherever it is published, after that little teaser.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:03:33 AM »
Lloyd at Glenelg #5 tee in Adelaide.

"Thunder down under"

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »
Congratulations Lloyd!  Great stuff!

Music industry and golf!  Sounds good to me.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 07:57:23 PM »
Lloyd - well done!

hey - can you write us a golfclubatlas.com theme song?

Robert Thompson

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 08:13:58 PM »
Lots of lateral leg movement in that swing -- I guess the injuries have healed... ;)

Glad to see you made the grade in T&L. Not quite Top of the Pops, but since that is defunct, I guess this will have to do.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:34:32 PM »
Music is a huge part of my life; yet, I regret to admit I'm not that familiar with Lloyd's music. I'm on a mission now. Next purchases: Lloyd Cole stuff.

Anyway, I read this thread then Googled "Lloyd Cole". It's the following, from Wikipedia, that's got me interested!

1. An avid golfer, Cole is known for playing concerts in towns suspiciously close to famous golf courses. He shares a passion for this sport with Alice Cooper, who is said to introduce the song "Only Women Bleed" by claiming "not even Lloyd Cole has written a song about menstruation" when playing live. Cole is known to introduce his song "Impossible Girl" with this story, noting the song disproves Cooper's claim with its opening line: “Bloody Monday afternoon, you want to blame it on the moon.”

2. Cole is clearly a fan of Marc Bolan and T. Rex; he has recorded and performed a number of Bolan's songs: "Children of the Revolution", "The Slider", "Mystic Lady", and "Romany Soup"... "People Ain't No Good" by Nick Cave, "Vicious" by Lou Reed, "I Don't Believe You", "She Belongs to Me", "You're a Big Girl Now", "I Threw it All Away" and "Most of the Time" by Bob Dylan, "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" by the Beatles.

3. In 2006, Scottish band Camera Obscura released the song "Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken" as an answer song to Cole's 1984 hit "(Are You) Ready to Be Heartbroken?"

Neat stuff.
jeffmingay.com

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 09:18:29 PM »
Jeff

go to Pandora.com, type in Lloyd Cole to the 'new radio station request' and you will get a quick taste of Lloyd's music style.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:37:10 AM »
Excellent article, Lloyd. You have a talent for the writing too.

John
John Marr(inan)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:24 AM »
Jeff,
If you have XM radio, channel 75 plays Mr. Cole in heavy rotation.  His latest CD is wonderful.

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:24:39 AM »
 8)

I thoroughly enjoyed playing Ganton in Sept 96' .. an "inland links" style course they called it..  very much more challenging than TOC, due to the topography, and framing of the fairways, with a fair amount of history to boot..  The pro set me up with some old loaner clubs and off we went on a great adventure..  Alas, later, because of too much time spent with my host looking at things on the wall in the club house, and a little slow traffic on those small roads, I ended up missing my train in York.. well worth it though.  Bright moments.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back