News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Re:Your favorite short courses
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 12:15:47 AM »
What is "short"?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »
the "wee" course at blairgowrie represents fantastic fun...

Dan Boerger

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
Wayne - Great shots of the west course. It's a tremendous test of golf. The tee shot on #8 doens't fit my eye in the least bit, but I really enjoy the challenge. One of my favorite days in all of golf is when I play the West, have lunch, and play the East. I'm assuming the West will be used as a practice facility when the US Open is at Merion. - Dan
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 10:18:42 AM »
David,
You played Aliso Creek.I've spent many happy hours there.
Simply charming.
Yancey

Yancey, you are correct. The course is Aliso Creek and I'm in total agreement, very charming.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
What is "short"?

From what I hear, Matt, every course is short for you! ;)

I think several scenario's would qualify. A course that has a par of 72 but under 6000 yards? Perhaps ANY course that has 18 holes that is under 6000 yds.  A nine holer, like the one I played yesterday, had 5 par 4's and 4 par 3's. To me, that would obviously qualify.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2007, 10:30:56 AM »
1. Walnut Lane , a Philadelphia muni, par62,4510yards, profiled here in Courses by Country: www.golfclubatlas.com/walnutlane1.html

2. Merion West, as mentioned above, par70, 5989 yards

3. Although I haven't played there yet, I'm looking forward to playing McCall Field(Flynn) site of this years GCA Philly Outing:
www.mccallgolf.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kirk Gill

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »
My  favorite local short course is the Evergreen Golf Course, all of 4,877 yards. Designed by Babe Lind and built in 1926 (originally with sand greens), it's a little mountain course with a lot of personality. The greens don't have a lot of contour, and tend to be very small. it's fun to have a go at the green on a downhill 275-yard par 4, but as with many mountain courses, the penalty for a wayward shot can be severe. My two favorite holes are the 17th (downhill par 3) and 18 (par 4) that both hug the side of the mountain. Even a slight push off the tee and the golfer will be faced with a nasty uphill pitch. The most notorious hole is a goofy par 3 (the third, I believe) where you hit over a rock formation (with a helpful white arrow painted on it) to a round, flat green (one of the larger ones on the course). You know it's safe to hit when the previous group rings the bell next to the green. Loads of quirk, some challenge, and some easy shots, it's a course where you can easily set your career low score, or have your ego slightly bruised, depending on whether or not you can keep the ball in play.

Wayne, thanks very much for those pictures of Merion West. Looks like a treat to play !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tim Leahy

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2007, 01:10:44 PM »
I love short courses!
One fave is Scholl Canyon, Glendale, CA.
I'd also list DeBell in Burbank, but I don't want Ryan Simper or Brian Noser to break out in hives. /quote]

Love Scholl Canyon, best views from a golf course in LA. Also Eaton Canyon is a fun cozy nine holer near La Canada. Love De Bell for skins games, even a mid handicapper has a chance at eagles and birdies. Also I seem to remember Monarch Beach in Laguna being a fun short course.
Up here in Nocal in Auburn is Black Oak in Auburn, great nine holer.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2007, 01:18:41 PM »
Eaton Canyon is another fave of mine, as is it's sister course Altadena - both very cool nine-holers.

And I really enjoyed Aliso Viejo also.

Hmmmm.... lots of great 9 holers in SoCal.... we of course have a few up here - Northwoods, Gleneagles....

Tim Leahy

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »
And I really enjoyed Aliso Viejo also.

Actually it's Aliso Creek, Aliso Viejo is the 27 hole championship course by Jack Jr.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »
My bad!

Too many Alisos down there.

I've never played the big course - I've played the 9holer twice.  And "charming" is a great word to describe it.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2007, 01:31:40 PM »
How about Presidio Hills in San Diego?

Maybe the shortest of the short - its 18-hole yardage of 1,426 is severely overstated. For everyday play it might not reach 1,000 yards.

The tiny, sloping greens are surrounded by an incredible amount of undulation. On a lot of holes it looks like small bunkers were shaped but never filled with sand. You've never played a course where local knowledge is more valuable.

Presidio Hills has hosted the youngest age group of the Junior World tournament since the event began, I believe.

David Stamm

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »
Hucks, you mentioned Deep Cliff earlier. It looks like alot of fun. I hear it's a bear to get on. True?

Evan_Smith

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2007, 01:16:18 AM »
A couple of my favourites are the 9 hole Bushfoot in Northern Ireland and the Homestead Course at the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs Virginia.  Bushfoot is a hybrid Links/Parkland located between Bushmills and Portrush.  It easily had the best turf of any course that I've played in Ireland (I've only played links courses) and with separate tees makes it almost seem like am 18 hole course.  With a par of 70 and at 5870 yards it was great fun.  There are tees that reach to just under 6100 yards, but we were instructed by the Secretary to play off the Yellow tees, the Whites are for competition only!
The Homestead Course (I guess it's now called the old course) is great fun but I'm sure that not many play it due to the fact that if you're in Hot Springs you're going to play the Cascades.  I think Rees Jones has done some work at the course, but when I played it back in 1994 I don't remember it being very long.  But it was fun.  It really seemed to be like you were playing golf at the turn of the century.  The 20th, not the 21st!!!!  It had the oldest first tee in continous use in the United States and I'm sure that's still the case.

I wish there were more good short courses and 9 hole courses around.  It would solve a lot of the problems golfers have in North America when they don't have enough time to play but still want to get out for a round.  It takes WAY to long to golf nowadays.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back