News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Kelly Blake Moran's piece on Augusta National...
« on: April 30, 2007, 05:37:19 PM »
...is posted under In My Opinion.

The tournament committee at ANGC showed the world in April 2007 that they can make the course suffocatingly difficult.

Great.

Now that they have proved that (yawn)  ::), perhaps better days are ahead for The Masters and the golf course. Hopefully, they will return to posing more interesting dilemmas in the future.

To that end, please read Kelly Blake Moran's In My Opinion piece and see if you don't think it would make a great place to start. What is posted on GolfClubAtlas.com is the full version of what Kelly submitted to Geoff Shackelford for his very well done piece that appeared in Links in their Masters preview issue.

Cheers,

David Stamm

Re:Kelly Blake Moran's piece on Augusta National...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 06:03:41 PM »
AlistEr. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »
Ran,

It's nice of you to make an appearance.

Now that you've made it to GCA.com, will you be making it to NYC and Northern Michigan in the near future ?

I'll read Kelly's piece shortly.

I've always enjoyed his writings.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
Does this mean Kelly is back with the group? ??  :D ??  :D ??  :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:47:14 PM »
Obviously, KBM's vision differs from ANGC and Fazio. I'm sure many here,myself included, would agree with KBM but...
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »
Good work Kelly, good work Ran!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »
Great Piece Kelly!

I fear ignoring common sense suggestions as this is modern golf's bane.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
That's a nice piece on Augusta National.  It harps a lot on member play and a 6700 yard golf course for the members.  

I have a few questions.

Does Augusta National keep its "rough" for member play or is it grown solely for the tournament?  This is important for the use of width, angles and recovery options for member play.

Is a 6700 yard Augusta National as redesigned by Kelly Blake Moran better for a membership whose average age is probably 70 years old or is the current one (minus the added trees)?

Is Augusta National currently more a golf course for its membership or is it in reality a major championship tournament golf course that just happens to serve a membership (each of whom probably has multiple other clubs) for part of a year that it is open?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
Is Augusta National currently more a golf course for its membership or is it in reality a major championship tournament golf course that just happens to serve a membership (each of whom probably has multiple other clubs) for part of a year that it is open?

Kelly,

Do you think the above mollydooker's comments are off base, as your proposal would improve both uses?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »

Kelly,

Do you think the above mollydooker's comments are off base, as your proposal would improve both uses?

Garland

That's the major question.  I'm no authority on what would serve best for a major championship test so I too wonder if Kelly's redesign would be better for The Masters Tournament.  I also ask if a 6700 yard course is better for a geriatric membership.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 09:23:13 PM »
I would think that a 6000 to 6400 yard course would be much better for a "geriatric membership."

I'm 62 and I rarely play a course from the 6700 yard markers,whatever color they may be, unless I find myself in Colorado. However, if I were invited to play ANGC, I would gladly play the members tees.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:27:39 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 12:26:05 AM »
Who really plays the course? Is it the alleged geriatric membership or their not so geriatric guests? There are a couple of geriatric members that can handle 6700. The King and the Bear.  :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back