News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Gill

Dick Phelps - Opinions
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
Last weekend I played a course in Colorado Springs called Pine Creek, designed by Dick Phelps. I didn't really care much for the course overall, primarily because the land allotted for the course wound the holes single-file between walls of houses. I've played other Phelps courses that I liked more. Phelps has designed many courses in Colorado and the west, but I haven't heard much, if any, discussion of his work on this site. Any opinions out there of his work? Someone must like it, as he's done a lot of it.

From my limited experience (all on public courses) his courses seem to have a modern look, lots of sweeping curves, not specifically strategic in nature.

Please educate me.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jay Flemma

Re:Dick Phelps - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »
I always hear him called Rick Phelps...or is he just Rick to the guys in colorado.

I know he built devils thumb...anyone play it?

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 03:48:09 PM »
I'm not a big fan based on the 10 or so original designs I have played.  

Kirk Gill

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »
I believe that Rick Phelps is the son, Dick Phelps was the father. Rick is listed as the designer of Devil's Thumb. Rick also designed Antler Creek, which I believe Matt Ward has praised in the past.

There may be significant differences between the designs of father and son, but I can say that there is some significant differences between various Dick Phelps designs. He is listed as designing Indian Tree and Lake Arbor golf courses in Arvada, both of which are quite nondescript, even in comparison to the Pine View course I mentioned above.
                             -Don Barzini

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »
Jay,

Rick is Dick's son. Dick is mostly retired now to AZ and Rick runs the day to day biz.

While I can't speak from extensive experience playing Phelps courses, Dick was always solid, if not spectacular, since he was part of that practical generation of gca's.  It seemed like the highest end courses in CO would go to the bigger names, but he has done a lot of the top rated publics here in DFW, and elsewhere, and gotten a lot out of meager sites and average budgets.

Rick seems to be expanding Dick's envelope further, and is doing some exciting work on his own.  
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 04:04:45 PM »
I can't say I'm a big fan of Dick Phelp's work in and around the Denver metro area (Saddlerock) nor his course in Pella, Iowa (Bos Landen).  I particularly dislike his use of cart paths as hazards (launching pads for slightly wayward tee shots to go OB).

Cheers,
Brad

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
I've played a few of the course that he lists involvement in on his website: Broadlands, Coal Creek, Cordillera, Eagle-Vail, Flatirons, Foothills, Kennedy (Creek), Lone Tree, The Pinery, Raccoon Creek, Saddle Rock (wow maybe after listing them its more than a few).

It seems like a mix of original designs and renovation/consultation work. None of what I played really stands out as spectacular work, with probably two of my least favorite courses in the state on that list.  I guess I haven't played his better work or newer stuff.

I do highly respect what he did at Kennedy (Creek nine) with a tough site and most likely a very meager budget. Definately a value pick.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 04:25:30 PM »
Workmanlike is the word that comes to my mind.  The Dick Phelps courses I've played around Denver--Raccoon Creek, Marianna Butte, Coal Creek and Indian Peaks--are all rather mediocre (maybe Marianna Butte is somewhat better than that).  He seems to offer straightforward golf, nothing spectacular and not especially interesting either.  I don't seek out his courses, but neither do I recoil violently when offered to play one.  

I didn't know Phelps did Bos Landen in Iowa--an interesting though very flawed course.  

Kirk Gill

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 04:37:32 PM »
What's interesting to me is that the opinions I'm getting on him seem very much in line with my own, and yet this is an architect that did, as Peter mentioned, a LOT of courses. Was it just the nature of the biz when he was doing a lot of his work, or was he the only game in town, or........exactly  what was it about either the business or Dick Phelps himself that made him perhaps the pre-eminent gca of his time in Colorado, and perhaps other western states?
                             -Don Barzini

astavrides

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:42:58 PM »
I agree.  not great.  not bad.  not boring work, tried to make them fun and interesting, but gets a bit boring because he has so many courses here and they are all a bit similar.  I imagine he kept getting work in colorado because he did a lot of work here and thus was a known quantity.  designed mostly muni's and mid-range courses.  

One course of his that stands out that I've played is Catta Verdera Country club near Sacramento, formerly called Twelve Bridges.  I don't know if he broke new creative ground or did masterful work there, but it sure was pretty and fun to play.

redanman

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »
Father Dick did some really OK to mostly so-so to some just awful regional stuff near Denver.

Son Rick has his heart in the right place, studies, works hard and will do well if given the chance. A Regional architect who will break out if given the right chance and budgets.  Is also a teriffic guy personally. I toured Broadlands (Broomfield, CO) with him in the mud before it opened with his little kid in tow, a very memorable day for me.  It has some really good holes, I believe it is his first solo project, haven't played his newest most well-received stuff.

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 07:58:16 PM »
Kirk-

I really had no idea that I had played so many Phelps courses until I looked at his resume. It seems like if you get around CO playing golf that you are bound to see his work again and again. And its not all that repetitive either, for having about a dozen courses or so in the Denver metro area.

I really like where your question is headed. If I could take a guess, it would be that he was in the right place (Colorado) at the right time (big housing and golf boom) and knew how to sell his product to the right people (affordable, enjoyable golf courses to developers and the golfing public).

And I certainly cannot fault him for that. Thats life, right.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:59:14 PM by Peter Zarlengo »

Dan Smoot

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 11:59:32 PM »
I've played a few of the course that he lists involvement in on his website: Broadlands, Coal Creek, Cordillera, Eagle-Vail, Flatirons, Foothills, Kennedy (Creek), Lone Tree, The Pinery, Raccoon Creek, Saddle Rock (wow maybe after listing them its more than a few).

It seems like a mix of original designs and renovation/consultation work. None of what I played really stands out as spectacular work, with probably two of my least favorite courses in the state on that list.  I guess I haven't played his better work or newer stuff.

I do highly respect what he did at Kennedy (Creek nine) with a tough site and most likely a very meager budget. Definately a value pick.

I definitely like Devils Thumb and enjoy playing Marianna Butte.  It has been a while since I played Racoon Creek so I don't remember much except the par 3 17th which was difficult from the back tees.  Eagle-Vail, Flatirons and Coal Creek left no impression on me to want to return.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back