News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re:Are we obligated to expose the BS ???
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »
Jim K and Joe H,

I guess I ramble when I write....46 and 47 are in response to where someone IMed and asked to cite some examples.....Yea Jim I guess frustrated is the word.....because it complicates the site.....that's all.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 08:20:02 AM »
OK, I'll give you guys an example or two and tell you a story that's probably about the kinds of things MikeY is talking about here on this thread.

What do you have to do to call yourself an architect?

I guess all you have to do is just call yourself that---eg you don't have to pass some test, you don't have to get licensed, certified or anything like that. All you have to do is call yourself an architect and if someone actually believes you and assumes you have some crediblity, I guess technically you're in the business of golf course architecture. If there's more to it than that, then I'm not aware of it.

All you guys know Wayne Morrison and me. All we are is two guys trying to write a book on architect William Flynn. We also happened to come upon his entire architectural drawing collection hidden in a barn in Buck's Co. Pennsylvania. So basically we've been studying all there is to know about Flynn for the last 5-6 years.

Flynn clubs became aware of all this and they started contacting us about one thing or another to do with Flynn, their courses and restorations and such. And so we visited a lot of Flynn clubs with that architectural collection, and we talked to those clubs about a lot of things to do with their courses. Is it any wonder as most of those clubs were not even aware that collection existed? In almost every case they considered it to be truly valuable to them.

And then one day, the Homestead (Flynn's Cascades Course in Virginia) got in touch with us and asked us to come down there and talk to them about doing a restoration plan and a restoration.

Do you think that made us nervous? You're damn right it did. Why? Because we AREN'T ARCHITECTS and we weren't pretending to be---and we aren't now pretending to be.

But we went down there and sat down and discussed a restoration with them for a few days. Right up front we told them we are not golf course architects and we don't want anyone to think we are. The most we would consider calling ourselves are architectural historians, and pretty much just on architect William Flynn (of this, by the way, we are pretty confident).

Luckily, Homestead told us if they did anything to the golf course they wanted it to be as purist as it could effectively be. Obviously this sat very well with us. They told us they wanted that just because they did but also so they'd never be criticized for screwing around with and taking a whole lot of architectural liberties with the course.

So we told them we'd consider doing this but ONLY IF they hired a golf course architect and we gave them some recommendations.

They actually tried to hire one of our recommendations but for various reasons that one didn't work out (basically he was over scheduled and in the wrong place for the timing).

But we did them one helluva historical restoration plan tracking just about everything and anything to do with the original construction and the entire design evolution of the course. All kinds of photos, aerials, all of Flynn's highly detailed hole by hole drawings, examples of Flynn's "construction instructions", shapes, sizes, mathematical dimensions, you name it. We even came up with an aerial/Flynn plan overlay via Craig Disher that was scale and dimensionally bullet proof and may even be the one and only time this has ever been done on a restoration.
(As usual Wayne did about 95% of about a 150 page historical restoration plan with all this stuff in it. It is some amazing document).

Then they told us they weren't going to hire an architect for the project but that was OK because we all had one anyway. I asked who that was and they told us it was William Flynn. ;) I said but he died 55 years ago. They said that's OK because with all this material it's almost like he's here.

Well, double shit, but we went back down there and met for a few more days with them and their contractor (who they'd worked with before and really trusted) and went over every bunker, every detail of the course. We asked the contractor if he felt he could simply work off the photos, Flynn's plans and just duplicate them on the ground.

And that's what happened and apparently the bunker restoration phase and some other architectural restoration ramifications are a real success.

Just to tie up this story back to the subject of MikeY's thread, Wayne and I stayed at MikeY's house during the Masters and we mentioned this story and how we definitely didn't want it to look like we are golf course architects or that we are trying to act like architects. And the primary reason we don't is because there's a ton of stuff about golf course architecture we don't understand well at all such as construction processes, drainage, grasses, whatever.

What Wayne and I do understand is things like the aesthetics of Flynn, his architectural and strategic concepts and techniques and most of his philosophies on golf architecture and golf etc.

MikeY said he was OK with all of that and I can't say I blame him. But if we tried to say we knew as much as he does about ALL the areas and ramifications of golf architecture, particually construction techiniques we could see how he'd have a real problem with that and he'd be right.

We are not golf course architects and we are the first to tell that to anyone, particularly any club we visit or talk to who might assume we are.

We call ourselves architectural historians, particularly on Flynn, and that's as far as we want it to go or to be percieved.

Is this story and this post a little warmer on the type of thing you're after on this thread's subject MikeY?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:59:17 AM by TEPaul »

Mike_Young

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 08:32:29 AM »
Tom,
You are correct....no problem with any of what you told me... but I never said I knew more than you......I also agree you would know much more about architectural history than myself just due to age.....but I still think you need a website with a 900 number....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 08:42:13 AM »
Do I believe there's a place in golf architecture for the opinions or even the input of people, particularly people on here who are not in the business, or really in the business?

Definitely I do, and my feeling is it's primarily in the area of architectural concept which includes actual and theoretical strategies, aesthetics, playabilities, whatever. However, if any of us are going to get out there and ply those opinions we ought to do it through a golf course architect and not on our own with some client or potential client.

I feel very strong that people like us should not try to get into other areas of golf course architecture which we clearly don't know much about, have little understanding of or experience with. And most importantly we should not try to make anyone think we understand or are experts in those other areas.

And that includes a lot of the nitty gritty construction and management stuff that goes on in the field---that has to go on in the field.

For any of us to act like we understand that side of golf course architecture, whether it be new construction OR restoration architecture any of us will need to spend a considerable amount of time in the field like real architects and their crews do every day.

My problem has always been with some of the otherwise very good arhitectural critics and analysts on this website who seem not to understand this fairly elemental fact or to accept it when they are made aware of it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:04:02 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
"... but I never said I knew more than you......"

Of course you didn't. Why would you have to? It's patently clear to me or you or anyone else who's using his head on this subject.

".....but I still think you need a website with a 900 number...."

I don't think so Mike. That kind of thing gets too close to crossing the line in my opinion. The reality isn't just what we all understand on this website, it's how little these distinctions are understood in the real world amongst clubs and clients.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:52:22 AM by TEPaul »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
Great expose'.

Can someone get me another drink?

This site a cocktail party?

How about this DG?

This site is a valuable resource and if those who believe that it isn't, should just pack up your marketing materials and go home.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back