News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

C. Squier

Tivo alert: Pine Valley
« on: April 25, 2007, 12:53:06 PM »
1 pm Central today (Wed) on the Golf Channel.

Gene Littler v. Byron Nelson at Pine Valley.  I've never seen Pine Valley in motion, can't wait to check it out later tonight.  Just thought I'd give everyone else the heads up.

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Tivo alert: Pine Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »
And coming up on May 2 at 2 pm EDT is the 1962 match between Sarazen and Cotton at St Andrews if you want to see what the Old Course looked like 45 years ago.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »
Unbelievable the length of clubs they're hitting into those holes. Driver, 3-wood, 4-iron into #15. Driver, 3-iron into #16. But I guess if a drive goes 255, then a 3-iron from 180 puts you on the green at a 435 yard hole.

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
It's too bad they never show the Hogan and Snead match. Does anyone know why?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
They do not own the rights to that match played in Houston...but it is available for purchase elsewhere.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »
Thanks Michael. I've got to buy that one, I haven't seen it in a long time.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »
Clint,

When I saw your post (at 2pm) I was kicking myself for not recording the broadcast.  I have it on VHS but I don't have a VHS player anymore.  Turns out I recorded it on my computer.  I completely forgot that I set it to do so. Happily, I now get to view it again and again.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:59:50 PM »
I stayed at home with a sick kid.  The coverage jumped from the 6th hole to the 13th which was pretty disappointing.

The course was setup with some tough cabbage if you missed the fairways, although those two seemed to be hitting them pretty consitently.  Gene took a 7 on the par 3 5th...ouch!

The most interesting thing to me is how much Gene resmebles Jeff Magaret.  Same body type, same demanor, similar swings, not very talkative, kinda shy.  Maybe it was just me, but he was a dead ringer for jeff.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »
Kalen,

Not sure what you caught, but they definitely showed action at the 10th and 12th.

Hearing Sarazen refer to the "Devil's Hole" was quite amusing.

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 06:08:43 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think there has been a distance revolution just watch this program and pay attention to the length of their drives and clubs into the greens.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
Kalen,

Not sure what you caught, but they definitely showed action at the 10th and 12th.

Hearing Sarazen refer to the "Devil's Hole" was quite amusing.

Maybe I was out on a bathroom break or something...  ;D

Time goes faster when you get older I guess.

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »
I was struck by the seeming width of the fairways -- I've heard/read that Pine Valley is deceptive in that way; that because the stuff off the fairway is so terrifying and penal, that it gives the player a sense the fairways are more narrow than they actually are. It also seemed that there were plenty of approach shots in which the green was above the fairway; I'd had the impression that PV was relatively flat, and the land had more movement than I'd thought.

For a moment, I thought the announcer was going to say "Devil's A....hole;" I don't think the phrase "Devil's Hole" fooled anyone! That is one phenomenal green.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
I would also speculate that today's players are MUCH bigger and stronger than yesteryear. Not only equipment, but physical strength of the players causes the huge increase in distance.
Mr Hurricane

C. Squier

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:12 AM »
I would also speculate that today's players are MUCH bigger and stronger than yesteryear. Not only equipment, but physical strength of the players causes the huge increase in distance.

Totally agree.  I watched the match last night, the players have much shorter swings too.  Fairways are cut longer, which I'm sure has a material affect on how far the balls roll out.  But the biggest reason, IMO, for distance gain is that today after a round many players eat a soy tofu kelp bar and hit the gym.  Yesteryears saw them w/ a burger and beer in hand.  

New equipment certainly helps, but I think it helps the most in off-center hits.  Which then allows a player to have a longer swing, swing harder and ultimately gain distance.

Back to topic.  I really enjoyed the match.  I wish every hole was shown, but that's tv I guess.  I love the special effects they needed to employ because cameras couldn't follow the ballflight.  Nelson hits a low, smoking drive......cuts to the next frame of a ball being gently thrown on the ground by a stage hand just a few feet off frame.  

I too thought Gene was going to call it the Devil's Arsehole, but pulled back at the last second.  It didn't look as penal as it does in modern pictures, but that could be from the weird angle they showed.

CPS

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back