News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Interesting story re: Champions
« on: November 15, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »

Got the new T&L Golf the other day and found a story about Champions GC in Houston to be very interesting. Never been there, but it seems like it would be a pretty cool place to be a member. It's a club about golf. Imagine that.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/golf-its-all-about-the-game

Jason Mandel

Re:Interesting story re: Champions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
Jeff,

I read the article a few nights ago and thought the same thing.  I don't know much about the courses but the club seemed like a great place.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:02:56 PM »
I just read Jackie Burke's book and found it a good read.  Had information about Champions, and his approach to golf and life.  
Steve Pozaric

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:12:39 AM »
WOW!

This is all about what golf should be.  If I were younger and wanted to live in Houston, I'd fly there tomorrow and try to show Jackie that I could break 80 off the tips.

How great would Augusta, Dornoch, Pine Valley, NGLA, Muirfield, the R&A, Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne, etc. be if they glorified golfers, rather than people who just happened to be there and were "clubable" by some quasi-golfer's standards?

Rich

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:03:44 AM »
Jeff

Thanks for posting the Champions Article. I read a similar article several years and mis placed it. Champions is the epitome of a "Golf Club". No pool, no tennis, just golf. At one point only Champions and Winged Foot could claim that both of their courses were listed in the Golf Digest Top 100!

On of my former Penn State team mates is a member at Champions. I have been there but not had the pleasure of playing.

I understand that the biggest member event of the year is a match between the two wings of the locker room. By the way it is a wonderful "L" shaped room with the bar located inside the elbow.

There are so many low handicap players that they have to agree to attempt to qualify for USGA events at several locations in order to avoid knocking each other out.    

I heard a quote from Burke when asked why the fees were kept relatively low and his response was that good golfers spend more time on their golf games and less on their business therefore they may not be able to afford higher fees. I must say that Mr. Burke gets it!

bstark

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:56:53 AM »
  I always look forward to John Paul Newport's articles. He seems to really love the game and always comes up with interesting perspectives. My wife loved his most recent articles in the WSJ Saturday section on "The Joys of Putting the Clubs away for the Winter"!

His book about breaking 70 at Islands' End and then "joining" the mini tours was hysterical......

Aaron Katz

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:44:23 AM »
Wow, that is freaking awesome.  It must be a bit intimidating to be a new member, eh?  I liked the story about the 39 year-old guy that went from 5 to a plus-1.  It shows that extreme improvement is possible.

JESII

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 10:49:35 AM »
WOW!

This is all about what golf should be.  If I were younger and wanted to live in Houston, I'd fly there tomorrow and try to show Jackie that I could break 80 off the tips.

How great would Augusta, Dornoch, Pine Valley, NGLA, Muirfield, the R&A, Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne, etc. be if they glorified golfers, rather than people who just happened to be there and were "clubable" by some quasi-golfer's standards?

Rich

Rich,

I agree with your first paragraph wholeheartedly. Seems like a perfect place to be if you want to be a golfer. It might just be your best chance for you to collect that pint...

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:08 AM »
 8)

Number of folks there have two memberships.. they play out when they want to socialize.

p.s. you don't change your shoes or shirt in the parking lot there

p.s.s  surprized no mention of Hogan's last round there..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 11:33:07 AM »
I have found the Membership to be very warm to a new Member, ie me. I have a game every weekend I am over there. Steve, I did change my shoes in the parking lot once. Is there a rule I am not aware of?

Nick Church

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 07:20:06 PM »
Wow. A great story.

I had no idea the depth of the convictions that rule Champions.  It is a shame there are not more clubs like that one.

It almost had me considering a move to Houston.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:58:41 AM »
I just wanted to bring this thread back to life shortly as it was this article that convinced me to join the club.  I moved to Houston about the time that this was published and although I had some knowledge of Champions before moving here it was after reading this article, and then Jackie's book, that I knew the club was right for me.

As Tiger said, I have also found everyone there to be very warm to a new member.  It's hard to be on the grounds and not have a feeling of the history that surrounds Champions.  The club is very understated, completely focused on the game.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
I really like this quote:

Look here: We’ve got hundreds of acres out there on the Cypress course, with eighteen holes scattered around, each four-and-a-quarter inches in diameter, and the object is to see who can get the ball into each of those holes with the fewest strokes. That’s all there is to it. That’s the game. Why mess it up?"

Chris Cupit

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
I'm actually competing in the Champions Cup--one round to go and my partner and I are at 209--absolutely NO CHANCE to win, but it's been fun.

membership is great and engaging.  Mr. Burke is a friggin hoot--another great speach on Wednesday night BUT, Champions does have a swimming pool (even a kiddie pool!!) :( AND social members :o

Mr. Burke explained that the 200 or so social members helped pay for his resoration of the Jack Rabbit Course.

Anyway, a compeltely biased review of the Cypress Creek course is coming.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »
Chris,
The swimming pool was built to meet fire code....

Mr. Burke tells it better.

:)

Kyle that was a cool story of your own.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:11 PM »
Chris...

Glad to hear that you are having a good time with the tournament.  I will be out there tomorrow morning watching some of the play.  I'll keep an eye out for you.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 01:51:04 PM »
Chris,
The swimming pool was built to meet fire code....

Mr. Burke tells it better.

:)

Mike,

I read the story in his book about the pool but I also read an article and heard him speak about the value of having a place the whole family could enjoy.  In listening to all the stories, I do get the distinct impression that some may have a little of "Texas Tall Tale" to them.  My entire family including myself are native Texans so I'm not saying that a good story can't become great with a little tweaking :D, but the notion that a brand new facility would be allowed to be built and would pass code only to have a fire marshall come a few years later and OK the pool as the water source in case of a fire....well....

As Mr. Burke mentions in the book, "the sprinkler system was no where near adequate..."  So they had a sprinkler system that got approved at first only to have the fire marshall come later and say something to the effect of ..."well, just build a pool in case our trucks need a water source!!!"  stretches the imagination a bit.

Also, according to the book, that was in 1960.  I saw the main and kiddie pool and I am quite certain they are not original--kinda doubt whenever it was re-built, the fire code allowed for emergency pool water then!  Anyway, it's a great story.

PS  Was the kiddie pool for small fires? ;)

Chris Cupit

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »
OK  My biased review.

First, the golf club is fantastic and the members engaging and down to earth.  Mr. Burke is a fantastic ambasador for the game and his book is an absolute must read for all golfers and those in the industry.  (I am also a fan of The Future of Golf by GS).

I only played the Cypress Creek course and it was in very good shape and played pretty firm and fast.  It rained for the practice round and I was surprised that the greens did seem just slightly "spongy".  

It's a long course (7300 par 71) with wide fairways and enormous greens.  A couple of very good holes were:

#4--famous 228 yarder across the creek to a huge green.  It was as good as advertised.

#13--nice dogleg par five that allows you to play safe left or cut across the corner of the hazard and open up a shot to the green.  Green is also tucked next to the cliff/hazard and with the prevailing wind blowing toward the hazard, it can be a scary shot if you are trying to go for it in two.

#17--I normally am not a fan of straightaway holes but this was pretty good.  Into the prevailing wind with water left and OB right off the tee and a water hazard snaking around the left and behind the green for a long second shot.  Green is interesting with its shaved banks and left/front fall away areas.

#18--nice strong finishing hole.  One of the few holes with a fairway bunker that really helps pinch the fairway and defines the drive very nicely.  

Overall, the course is very flat and while I liked that the fairways were wide I am not too sure I really enjoyed  the constant slugging of driver to fairways that really were just kind of open.  Few holes had fairway bunkers--you just kinda banged it out there.  I think 8 holes are over 450 and the shortest par 4 was 415.  

They have also planted alot of those stupid 8-12 foot high crepe myrtles and other ornamnetal trees that don't seem to belnd in with the larger more matuire trees.

Greens are huge and have a lot of movement.  Unfortunately, they are so big they sometimes don't seem to have a distinctiveness to them.  Just big and with mulitple "lobes"--Mickey Mouse ears on steroids!!

The green on #7 was 62 or 64 yards deep and on hole #15 I hit to the middle right side when the hole was cut back right and I had to chip over a bunker (from the green)!  Same hole another competitor hit his second back left and had to putt through 20 feet of fringe!!

Last nitpick was the multiple ornamental plantings and fake water features.  I understand what Mr. Burke is saying about the need for Houston to plant that kind of thing and some of the natural areas looked great.  But, there were a couple of thse silly looking 5 foot tall fountains in 2 or 3 of the lakes that looked like they should go in an office park lake and there was a perfectly conical "volcano" like rock feature on #10 that water cascades down from right next to the green.  I almost wanted to throw my coin in the hazard and make a wish :)

Overall though, it is a great golf club and a very straightfoward test of ones' game--I think just what Mr. Burke had in mind when he created Champions.

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »
 8)

gentle rebittal..

how else you gonna keep oxygen in the water column?

crepe myrtles are very common in houston as bushes and trees..

everything is really bigger in TX.. physical and mental..  ::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Chris Cupit

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
Crepe myrtles are common in GA too but I still hate them on a course.  What seemed strange was that many trees/shrubs seemed to be new plantings--not naturally occuring undergrowth.

I also didn't drive it too straight when I played so maybe the crepe myrtles seemed more in play than they really were! :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back