News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

I just found this test that really says alot about real world architecture.  There is one question about Pete Dye that I didn't know and will search out the course.  note: The answers are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.southernillinoisgolf.com/archives/march2005/content/story7.php

Brian Noser

Re:Do you know Southern Illinois Golf? Long Island got nothing on us.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »
John nice little test... I got many right ,I am the local pro. The Pete Pye course I know about was The one stated Yorktown. I have played the other and had no clue about it. Number 4 is outdated Columbia no longer has a Caboose

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
I don't know Southern Ill gof, but I'd bet the ranch that Long Island has you beat by zillions ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »
I think John K forgot to take his meds this morning....when I read that headline on this topic, it gave me a good chuckle.

Keep em coming John!  8)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:54:14 PM by Kalen Braley »

Gene Greco

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 09:17:43 PM »
John:

I think a conversation with Tommy N. might sway your opinion somewhat.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Gene,

You guys can't compare to our Lenten Fish Fry's.  I pulled this tid bit out of the linked article just to show we have great writers too.

Best fish fry? Grand Marais was the winner, and Arlington placed second.
I've heard local golfers rave about other fish fries, too. If you've ever been at the Prairies on a Friday evening, you know they put on a fine fish fry. The same is true of Locust Hills in Lebanon. Clinton Hill has a popular fish fry, too, just to name a few.
Even before our readers elected Grand Marais as Fish Fry Champion, I had heard good things about their fish fry.

http://www.southernillinoisgolf.com/archives/march2006/story5.php

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:35:39 PM »
Gene,
This would be correct.......

John, wake-up from that delusional mid-western dream of a nightmare. Golf on Long Island is Golf in America. It just doesn't get any better. It really doesn't.

We should all aspire to be Long Island. More specifically the North Shore and Eastern End of the island. ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »
Tommy,

Does Long Island have all the golf you can play along with all the chicken you can eat for $32...On a Saturday no less.  Please note that our own Kye Goalby was the answer to question 25.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:39:24 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »
John:

Eventhough I have lived in StL for a long time, I have never been to Grand Marias as it is in the heart of East St. Louis and not the nicest part of town.

There are a bunch of good golf courses in the southern part of Illinois though.
Steve Pozaric

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 09:48:30 PM »
Steve,

I just noticed the address and told my wife the same thing.  I bet they do have good fish.  I don't recall how I found this site today but searching through the archives is good for a few laughs.  I saw one article where the guy was going upscale and only reviewing courses that cost $40+.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
I've done #5, pretty good chicken -- still the only course I've ever broke 80 on. One of the most controversial holes in Southern Illinois is #18.

On #6 they forgot to give the hint that "the wind is blowing out of the west and if it's above 85 degrees the smell of a Rendering plant will force you to gag before you hit" very nice course though.

#20 has a road running through it I believe named for the family of an occasional poster on this board

#25 should be of interest to Renaissance Golf Groupies (John beat me to this)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:59:05 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Gene Greco

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »
   Best fish fry?

Old MacDonald's in N. Augusta, South Carolina. Freshest catfish I've ever had with a batter to die for.

EVERYONE living within 50 miles of this place was there the Friday night I was there - and for good reason.

Half the size of a Home Depot with people waiting (!!!) to get inside.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »
John:

Eventhough I have lived in StL for a long time, I have never been to Grand Marias as it is in the heart of East St. Louis and not the nicest part of town.

There are a bunch of good golf courses in the southern part of Illinois though.

I have played Grand Marias quite a few times.  It is the best barging in town and does have a decent layout and some good holes for a cheap muni.

When I was a teenager, I used to caddy for Jim Jackson, he played on 2 Walker Cup teams in the 50s.  During the winter when other courses were closed, he played Forest Park.  When Forest Park was closed he played Grand Marias.  The caddies figured if Grand Marias was good enough for Jim Jackson, it was OK to play.

It is actually very easy to get too and I have never had any concerns for my safety either getting there, or playing there.  If you do not trust my advice, when I am in St. Louis in late July I will even be willing to meet anyone who wants to play for a round at Grand Marias.  A classic dive course, similar to what the characters in Rick Reilly and Dan Jenkins’s stories play.

I think it even hosted some of the old Negro Tour tournaments

Also, per York Town and Pete Dye.  I believe he did York Town BEFORE he visited Scotland.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
Gene,

You guys can't compare to our Lenten Fish Fry's.  I pulled this tid bit out of the linked article just to show we have great writers too.

Best fish fry? Grand Marais was the winner, and Arlington placed second.
I've heard local golfers rave about other fish fries, too. If you've ever been at the Prairies on a Friday evening, you know they put on a fine fish fry. The same is true of Locust Hills in Lebanon. Clinton Hill has a popular fish fry, too, just to name a few.
Even before our readers elected Grand Marais as Fish Fry Champion, I had heard good things about their fish fry.

http://www.southernillinoisgolf.com/archives/march2006/story5.php

John,

I am with you 100% on this.  I so miss the small town bar-b-ques and fish fries in the Midwest.  Then to add them to golf makes for a great Friday afternoon.

But I am happy you are the one extolling the great way of life in the Midwest.  Otherwise, the secrete may get out.  But as long as you continue your PR, the Midwest will be safe from those on the coasts.  This way whenever I return home, I know it will still be paradise.

Keep up the good work.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:35:26 PM »

It is actually very easy to get too and I have never had any concerns for my safety either getting there, or playing there.  If you do not trust my advice, when I am in St. Louis in late July I will even be willing to meet anyone who wants to play for a round at Grand Marias.  A classic dive course, similar to what the characters in Rick Reilly and Dan Jenkins’s stories play.

Bill,

Be sure and let us know as a GCA outing in East St. Louis could be legendary.  I would love an excuse to stop by and get a shirt.

Brian Noser

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »
HUH... Who would have thunk it a GCA get together at Grand Marais. that would have been one of my last guesses...wait that would have not been a guess....I have been there a number of times and never felt unsafe...

Actually it is not a bad course. You do have to be carful on one hole and watch you ball cause little kids used to come through the fence and steal your ball then try to re-sell it to you 3 holes later... ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:03:14 AM by Brian Noser »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back