News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Forest Dunes
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
I'm planning a trip to Traverse City in July for a couple of friends and me that will include Kingsley Club, Arcadia Bluffs and Crystal Downs.  One of the guys has a summer place down near Forest Dunes, is a member there, and wants us to stay long enough to play there as well.  I'm not familiar with Forest Dunes, could someone who is familiar with the course please provide a brief review?

I know it's a Tom Weiskopf design but not much else.

Thanks in advance.

Mike_Young

Re:Forest Dunes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
Bill,
Play it...and play black Lake but be sure you play Belvedere.
email me.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Foley

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:01:33 PM »
Bill,

I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of the place. In fact it's on the short list of places I want to get & see.

Lets have some of the Michiganders chime on.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »
Had some IMs, I am convinced!  it sounds very good.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »
Bill - You'll love it. All golf... nothing else. I've played it several times and like it better and better with each visit. Outstanding accommodations and dining. Beautiful clubhouse. If you haven't already checked out their website here is a link: http://www.forestdunesgolf.com

Also, Forest Dunes has one of the greatest putting greens you will see this side of St. Andrews.

The former head professional, Chris Bronson, is now on Daufuskie Island at the International Junior Golf Academy.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jfaspen

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:00:16 PM »
It's nice.. Ends in the dunes, kind of wildhorse like, very cool couple of finishing holes.  well maintained, in the middle of nowhere.

well worth your time to stop and see it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
Bill, Here's my review.  You'll LOVE the back and I'm curious what you think of the 19th hole...which I think should be renumbered the 10th, then play the "back" as 11-19.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=183

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »
I am going to echo the replys of the other posters.  This course is truly a must play.  The greens are some of the best you will ever putt, especially for a semi-private venture, and the layout and variety are unsurpassable.  Personally, I would rather play there then Arcadia Bluffs.  It's a much better golf course, however, Arcadia does have a rather large lake to its west, that adds to the ambiance.
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »
Thanks for adding to the consensus, Jonathan, Forest Dunes is definitely on the agenda for July.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back