News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Barton Creek: Foothills Fazio
« on: April 22, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
We just played Barton Creek today, the Foothills course by Tom Fazio and thought it was pretty special.

I'm interested to hear what others think of it and the Canyons Course as well.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

Re:Barton Creek: Foothills Fazio
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:25:46 PM »
County Line BBQ way too dry for me.

Chuy's top notch Tex Mex.

Las Manitas great breakfast, go soon, we hear the building is being torn down.

Now the golf.........

I greatly preferred the Canyons course - much less gratuitous shaping, smoother routing, #18 a bit odd par 5 closer.  The closing par 5 at Foothills is a goofy thing.

Although it gets no respect, I personally prefer playing the Crenshaw Cliffside course - great big rolling greens, very natural shaping, a number of front to back sloping greens.   To me it is a very much more natural golf experience.  The Fazio courses are both Top 25 in Texas, no props for the Crenshaw.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:45:28 PM by Bill_McBride »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »
Have you discovered Curra's, Chuy's, County Line, or Busters (Bee Cave)?

Pls enlighten me quickly
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »
Drive down I-35 to New Braunfels and have dinner at the Grist Mill in Gruene on the north end of town.  Right next door is the classic Gruene Hall (the MacKenzie of Texas music halls  8) ) - check their website to see who's playing.  I have seen Jerry Jeff Walker and Asleep at the Wheel there, it is a great place to see Texas version of C&W and Texas swing.  Grist Mill good place for dinner.  Keith Foster's "The Bandit" is there in New Braunfels and worth a play.

This is all half an hour south of Austin.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »
Crenshaw is actually my favorite course at Barton Creek but more importantly Rudy's is the best BBQ in town!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
Crenshaw is actually my favorite course at Barton Creek but more importantly Rudy's is the best BBQ in town!

Sam I agree about Crenshaw course 100% - don't know Rudy's!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »

Sam I agree about Crenshaw course 100% - don't know Rudy's!

Rudy's is a great chain that is mostly in Central Texas. Iron Works downtown is pretty good too.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:42:46 PM »
Glad you had fun and liked it...did you see any good music on 5th st?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 02:21:38 PM »

Jay - it's Sixth Street!  We were there during SXSW and it was incredibly LOUD down there.  I think the average age of the denizens of 6th St was 24.  I like R&R a lot but they were waging the battle of the bands.

We hung out more in the great old bars south of Town Lake, South Commerce St, etc and saw some very cool country and western groups.  However, I didn't see enough cool Austin C&W on the agenda to make me want to go back and fight the crowds.

Austin is fun - great Tex Mex.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »
I played the Foothills a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Of course 80 degrees in January, getting off off as a single & finishing in under 3 hours didn't hurt. I took some photos; if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post them up.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

Jay - it's Sixth Street!  We were there during SXSW and it was incredibly LOUD down there.  I think the average age of the denizens of 6th St was 24.  I like R&R a lot but they were waging the battle of the bands.

We hung out more in the great old bars south of Town Lake, South Commerce St, etc and saw some very cool country and western groups.  However, I didn't see enough cool Austin C&W on the agenda to make me want to go back and fight the crowds.

Austin is fun - great Tex Mex.

Dman my dsylxeia!  I did it again. I of course meant SIXTH street.

Yes, great tex mex.

hick

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
The golf was good, And Salt Lick in Driftwood was great. and i hear good things about rudys. The best tex mex that i hear of is Fonda San Miguel. But im just a Rhode Island Yankee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back