News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Canadian Open
« on: September 09, 2002, 08:05:53 AM »
We had a short thread on Ontario golf a couple of weeks ago that dealt with the higher end of the quality spectrum, St. Georges and National. This Angus Glen sure didn't look worthy of a national open with the history of the Canadian. One would hope that the RCGA would return to Royal Montreal, or some other more worthy site in the future.

By the way, how funny is this quote from Neal Lancaster?

"I guess I know how Jean-Claude Van Damme feels, or whatever his name is."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jeff Mingay

Re: Canadian Open
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 10:58:19 AM »
Next year's Canadian Open should be somewhat interesting, in that it's to be played over 18-holes originally designed by Harry Colt in 1914 at Hamilton G&CC, near Toronto.

I haven't seen Hamilton (or Ancaster, as it's also known) recently, but I hear they've added some length (surprise! surprise!) and rebuilt the bunkers under the direction of Tom Clark.

My guess is the 2003 Canadian Open will be a narrow fairway/long rough affair... during which players driving the ball straight that week will be hitting mid-to-short irons into the greens and reaching par 5s in two.

What's new?

A Clay Man

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 09:24:46 PM »
While only having seen it from the TV. The course, Angus Glen, didn't seem all that bad. It was playing firm and fast. Plus, I liked the cross bunkers on 16(?) The baranka on 18.

and,

I really liked espn's coverage. I don't recall seeing one shot of guys walking off the tee and it felt like the roone arledge days of old.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 05:34:45 AM »
Commentary from some of the players in our national newspaper, The Globe & Mail, for which Lorne Rubenstein writes, inferred that Angus Glen was one of the softest courses they've played on Tour; particularly the greens.

Canadian Richard Zokol said it was the "easiest" course he'd ever seen on the Tour.

I didn't watch any of it on TV, so I can't confirm the reports.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 06:08:12 AM »
The difficulty of the course had a lot to do with the PGA Tour.  I was up there Tuesday and they had to cut the rough and soften the course.  Too bad the setup was softened, that softened the event.

The PGA Tour does not treat this as National open and the RCGA does not push them to.

Ancaster will be a much better host, the problem in Canada is that the great courses do not have the infrastructure, too bad.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 08:39:53 AM »
Ben,

I guess I'm an idealist, and definitely a patriot. Still, I say the RCGA should demand to operate the Canadian Open under its own terms, not the PGA Tour's. Period.

It's an embarassment our national Open championship, the third oldest Open championship in the world behind the British and US Opens respectively, has been reduced to a simple and unattractive PGA Tour stop.

I also say, if the PGA Tour doesn't like it, then the RCGA should simply stage the Open itself, on its own terms. The field's notoriously weak with PGA Tour support, so how much different would it be as a non-PGA Tour event that's a national Open championship?

I guarantee the RCGA would still attract many of the world's greatest golfers to play in the Canadian Open... perhaps even more than they do these days as a run-of-the-mill event?

I hate to think that corporate sponsors would back away if our Open were no longer affiliated with the PGA Tour. That would be really sad. Bell Canada? Bank of Montreal? Nortel? Well, OK, maybe not Nortel  ;)

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2002, 08:48:29 AM »
Do you think the lack of the PGA Tour support would allow the tournament to return to courses like St. Georges, Banff or Capilano?  If so, I would say go ahead and cut the ties.  This tournament not that long ago was a treasured tour stop with the likes of the Western and Colonial, which today are just now 2nd or 3rd tier events thanks to the wonderful direction of the PGA Tour.  

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2002, 02:32:06 PM »
Chris,

Good question.

I don't know if breaking ties with the PGA Tour would allow the Canadian Open to be played at places like St. George's and Capilano? Crowds would likely be smaller, so the smaller properties at the aforementioned clubs would be able to accomodate expected galleries.

But the ball is still going plenty far, too far, even for the "2nd and 3rd tier touring pros", particularly at Capilano, up in the mountains. So, I'd say, the distance issue would likely prevent the Canadian Open from happening at most of our classic venues still.

That's my guess.

ian

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2002, 05:15:10 PM »
Being this is our course, the criticism before the first shot was fired was hard to take. 16 under didn't seem so bad for the "easiest course on the tour." The only thing I really wanted to point out was it was never designed for a tournyment even though it stretched out to nearly 7400 yards. I watched the players play this week and I could not believe the consistancy and distance.

The Canadian Open became "just another tournyment" a long time ago when the RCGA got into the golf course business. The present decisions are strictly around parking, corporate support and profit for the RCGA. It will go west. It probably won't go back to Royal Montreal due to the players being pissed at the organizers about the difficulty of getting to the course and the conditioning.

For me, Hamilton will be the most enjoyable location of a modern Canadain Open, but I am curious to see how they handle getting people (and players) to the course. If they can do it, I can only hope it could get back to St. George's.

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 06:33:33 AM »
Check out Lorne Rubenstein's September 11 column at www.globeandmail.com on this very subject. It's under the heading "Sports" at the top of the home page.

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2002, 12:45:23 PM »
In all the Jean-Claude movies I have seen he  got in a lot of trouble early, created the appearance he may not even be around at the end but still finished very strong--

The exact opposite of Mr. Lancaster and Mr Van de Velde--

ian

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2002, 03:27:10 PM »
Jeff,

I agree with Lorne it has to move, and I'm not sure why Halifax wouldn't work. Would that be strictly sponsors? It wouldn't be from a lack of people attending the tournyment. The Calgary comments made no sence to me. They should play there any way. If its a little cold, then so be it, but the city will make it a great show. Winnipeg's a no brainer, look at the attendence for the world championship.

Do you think its just the RCGA that has the hang up?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back