News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Shadow Isle in Colt's Neck
« on: April 13, 2007, 02:30:02 PM »
Shadow Isle was ranked #17 in the State of New Jersey in the most recent Golf Digest listing.

Is this a new course or is it the old Due Process?

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Kyle Harris

Re:Shadow Isle in Colt's Neck
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »
I consider Shadow Isle to be 17 good opening holes, and one brutishly RTJ, Sr. style Par 4, the 7th.

I got bored.

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:24:43 PM »
So it is NOT Due Process?

IS Due Process still Due Process???
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »
Paul R:

Yes, Due Process still exists as it is.

In regards to Shadow Isle -- a very decent private layout which is also in Colts Neck, NJ. Give Pate credit for a job well done. The course starts off slow but when you get the 5th and 6th holes you get a solid run of quality holes -- ditto the table top short par-3 11th!

However ...

There is no freakin way the course makes a top 20 appearance in Jersey. The depth of courses in the Garden State is THAT strong and candidly Shadow Isle would be quite fortunate to break the top 50.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
I played Shadow Isle the year it opened.  It is decent but not worthy of its ranking.  It is not on the best peice of ground and Pate had to do a lot of earth moving to make the land interesting. The wind I suspect blows much of the time because of its proximity to the ocean.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
Tommy -

As I spent the first 20-odd years of my life living on the Jersey Shore within a mile of the ocean (in Long Branch, NJ), I feel obliged to point out that Colts Neck is a good 15-20 miles inland from the ocean. I would not consider whatever winds blow thru Colts Neck to be ocean breezes.

Out of curiousity, how do these newer courses in Colts Neck compare to Hominy Hill?

DT    

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
David T:

Hominy Hill, in my mind, is one of the better RTJ courses you can play. Credit Henry Mercer's widow for providing the course to Monmouth County when he died. The truly ultra private layout has now become a must play public layout in Jersey.

The holes are still solid -- although I believe the first thid of the course is simply OK. Clearly you've got to elevate your game big time when you reach the 8th tee -- a superb approach with OB pinching in from the left near the green and the putting surface sliding back into the rear lines of the property.

Candidly, Hominy Hill is not blessed with quality land although Colts Neck bills itself as horse country. There are a few holes of note -- the par-3 11th is reminiscent of the par-3 11th on Spyglass Hill. The slightest pull off the tee and it's splish splash time.

Hominy Hill is better than Shadow Isle because of its overall consistency -- there is also Colts Neck GC and Pebble
Creek -- both public in the same town and they are a clear notch or two below HH. Due Process is still the king of golf options in Colts Neck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back