News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Chandler

1st Trip to Myrtle/Charleston
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:21:30 AM »
So my wife and I are headed out for vacation which will include three nights in Charleston (April 19-21) and two on Pawleys Island (Apr 22-23).  Since my wife does not play, I have booked two tee times, a Sunday afternoon at Caledonia and the next morning at True Blue.  I figured since I missed out on last year's Dixie Cup, I'd check these two places out by myself (with whomever I get paired up randomly).

If I were able to get in one more round, I was thinking about either RiverTowne in Charleston or Pawleys Plantation.  If any GCAers will be in either location and want a partner, I'd be willing (not sure about how able  ;).

I'd appreciate any advice from the treehouse.

JNC Lyon

Re:1st Trip to Myrtle/Charleston
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »
Play the Ocean Course at Kiawah.  This might not be the best choice if you are on a budget, but it is a fantastic layout.  Check out the profile on this site if you haven't already seen it.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
Yeah, Kiawah and HarborTown are no brainers, except for the cost.  Caledonia's almost $200, and that's more than I've ever paid for a round, including my April trip a few years ago to Bandon (which cost me $425 for three rounds over two days, including the fee and tip for a caddy twice!).

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:07:58 PM »
You could try to get on Bulls Bay, Country Club of Charleston, or Yeoman's Hall.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:23:48 PM by Jay Flemma »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 05:16:49 PM »
You could try to get on Bulla Bay, Country Club of Charleston, or Yeoman's Hall.

Jay, how would one try to do that?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 05:21:50 PM »
Yeah, Kiawah and HarborTown are no brainers, except for the cost.  Caledonia's almost $200, and that's more than I've ever paid for a round, including my April trip a few years ago to Bandon (which cost me $425 for three rounds over two days, including the fee and tip for a caddy twice!).

Jimmy - You will be on the SC coast in THE highest rate month of the year. You might able to get a better price at Caledonia/True Blue if you reverse the days. Call the pro shop at True Blue (not Caledonia) and ask them if it could work out better for you to play there on Sunday and Caledonia on Monday. It's worth a try.

Where are your accommodations in Charleston? You will probably want to avoid a 1-1.5 hour drive to a course, so if you play there try to pick a course that is on your side of town.

Another course in the Pawleys area you might want to consider is Heritage. Very interesting layout and lots of fun to play.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
You could try to get on Bulla Bay, Country Club of Charleston, or Yeoman's Hall.

Call them up, tell them you are an internet golf writer and they will say, "Yes sir, come on down!" Posting on GCA does qualify one for writer status, does it not?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:36 PM »

Call them up, tell them you are an internet golf writer and they will say, "Yes sir, come on down!" Posting on GCA does qualify one for writer status, does it not?

Yeah, and they'll be waiting for him with a big net when he gets there ;D

Seriously, though, how does anybody get n a private club?  Write a letter or maybe he has friends in Charleston or maybe his club might be able to request reciprocity with BB...you never know.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »
u could ask RDaley how to get on Yeamans!  ;D  

just kidding.............try calling the clubs you want to visit/play.....I am sure they might offer an invite on a weekday (unless there is some member event)

you will love Caledonia and TrueBlue.......probably better weather too than we had in Dixie Cup!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »
The Dunes isn't a poor choice in Myrtle.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Madison

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »
Good advise on Caledonia and True Blue. Two others to consider, the Dunes and TPC Mytle Beach. Just played these two earelier this week, and both were excellent. I expected the Dunes to be as good as it was, but was very pleasantly surprised by TPC. The Dunes, which is probably the better course, will be a much longer drive, as it's closer to North Myrtle. TPC, which is pretty close to where you'll be staying, was in very good shape, had an excellent variety of interesting holes, and didn't look at all like a typical artificial TPC course.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:20:25 AM »
Jimmy,
If you're a member of a club, ask your PGA Pro to give BB or any other club a call.  They can usually get you on at the unaccompanied guest rate if you're able to work with their schedule - remember - you're the guest :)

Worst thing that can happen is that you get a "no".  Worth the try!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »

Jimmy - You will be on the SC coast in THE highest rate month of the year. You might able to get a better price at Caledonia/True Blue if you reverse the days. Call the pro shop at True Blue (not Caledonia) and ask them if it could work out better for you to play there on Sunday and Caledonia on Monday. It's worth a try.

Where are your accommodations in Charleston? You will probably want to avoid a 1-1.5 hour drive to a course, so if you play there try to pick a course that is on your side of town.

Another course in the Pawleys area you might want to consider is Heritage. Very interesting layout and lots of fun to play.

Also, at times, Caledonia and True Blue sell a one-day, 36 hole package that brings the average cost down considerably.  They're right across the street, it can be done pretty easily if you're up for 36.  (I realize this may be family dependent; I go to the beach with my in-laws and they don't really much care what I do... :))
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back