News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re:Comments about GolfClubAtlas during Masters week
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:27 PM »
Dave,

I'll trade your tape of 86 for mine of 07, straight up!

Mark

Rick Shefchik

Re:Comments about GolfClubAtlas during Masters week
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »

The last time I remember finding professional golf (other than the Ryder Cup) "exciting" (as opposed to just entertaining/interesting) was at Hazeltine, in the final round of the 2002 PGA, with Tiger chasing Beem.

But, then, I was right there for that -- so that may bias me.

What did the course setup have to do with it? The PGA left the greens soft enough and slow enough for a guy (Tiger) to run off a series of birdies, in hot pursuit.

Interesting point. I think we do well to remember that course conditions have more to do with score than the course's strategic elements. These are the best players in the world, and they are otherworldly accurate with their shots, so take away the wind and soften the greens, and I don't care how many trees or bunkers or water hazards you put on a course -- they're going to shoot lights out. The only other factor that will affect play is major championship nerves.

Course conditions are not always under the control of the tournament committee. Hazeltine got about five inches of rain Friday night, and they couldn't have dried the greens by Sunday if they'd wanted to. As for the conditions at Augusta last weekend, I don't see how you can dismiss how unusually dry and windy the course was. To me, that accounts for the lack of roars far more than the narrowed playing corridors.

It wouldn't bother me if they took the trees out, but given the same weather, I think the scoring would be pretty much the same.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back