News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

Reverse Course. The 1st.
« on: March 04, 2007, 04:53:51 PM »
In preparation for what I'm sure will be a great event here is a little bit of a taste of what TOC looks like in Reverse order.  When I get to the turn I'll have to check which tee they are using for which green but I think I've got it worked out.

So to start the series.  This is a view of the first green.  I thought it a little redundant to include a fairway shot.

I am perhaps most interested in discussing what is gained/lost from playing the course in this direction as opposed to the regular route.

The use of this green I believe creates a much more formidable opening hole.  The cost of this is to lose what is possibly the most recognisable hole in golf.  

It is likely to play around 385-395yds from the tips.  This is only a guesstimate and I will endeavour to source a reverse old course yardage book in the next few days.

I apologise for the quality of the photography, there was a distinct lack of illumination in St Andrews today.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 04:54:31 PM by Sean Walsh »

Matt_Cohn

Re:Reverse Course. The 1st.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
Let's remember that our own Jeremy Glenn has posted a supremely well thought out piece on the Reverse Old Course:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionglenn3.html

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:41:46 PM »
The first hole I ever played on the old course I wound up in the road hole bunker.   :-X
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 07:58:44 PM »
I will be laying up.

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:55:02 PM »
Bill,
How very fickle of you :) Ducking the challenge? I'm going to wait until the next hole.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »
A man has got to know his limitations.  ;)

peter_p

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
Bumping this series up to the top. I hope someone else can scan in the reverse booklet.

To me this hole played easier than I anticipated, even with a strong right to left wind. The firm conditions allow for a medium to short iron approach. You just needed a little confidence to aim at the road hole bunker! and let the wind take it. The path and wall seemed to get a lot of play, probably equal to the normal direction.The meandering burn was far enough removed from the green complex so that the pitch and run option was viable. Never looked, but the RH bunker reputation as a gatherer is greatly reduced from this direction.

Match Plays
R#1 vs TOC#1   1 up
R#1 vs TOC#17  1 down

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »
This is just fantastic!  This has to be the highest form of our craft :D  Way to go Sean...I'll be reading every hole!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:29:45 PM »
Actually I didn't lay up.  I shoved an 8 iron to the right of the shoulder behind the Road Bunker (a bit nervous of the Road perhaps??  :-\ ) - putted over that mound all the way across the green and onto -- the Road.  Or at least the gravely area between the green and the Road.  Three putts from there meant a smooth double to start the round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back