News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re:Will Augusta National ever be revived?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2007, 09:30:07 AM »
K,

They began overseeding the fairways and tees in the 70's:

http://www.augusta.com/masters/review1998/040798/Mowers1998.shtml

Mike

I'm sorry. I responded to this from your post, "particularly with some accomodating bermuda greens. " I guess I wasn't clear.

Since that story is talking about bare fairways and tees prior to overseeding, did they ever play on dormant bermuda greens?

Would they have been receptive if they did play to dormant bermuda greens?

Ken
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:33:36 AM by KMoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2007, 07:05:20 PM »
KMoum,

If you look at old films of The Masters you will see guys slamming putts from 8 feet.

I believe the greens were Bermuda until after the 60's or 70's

Doug Siebert

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2007, 12:20:22 AM »
When they showed some film of the first Masters, they had one shot of a putt that looked quite slick, taking 4-5 seconds to fall breaking right from what appeared to be around 15 feet.  I didn't catch what green it was on.  I think this was at the start of Saturday's coverage if someone hasn't deleted their recording of it yet.

I'm sure it was downhill, but it still seemed surprisingly quick to me.  A lot quick than ANY of the putts I saw, uphill or downhill, in that 1960 coverage.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Ken Moum

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2007, 09:07:02 AM »
When they showed some film of the first Masters, they had one shot of a putt that looked quite slick, taking 4-5 seconds to fall breaking right from what appeared to be around 15 feet.  I didn't catch what green it was on.  I think this was at the start of Saturday's coverage if someone hasn't deleted their recording of it yet.

I'm sure it was downhill, but it still seemed surprisingly quick to me.  A lot quick than ANY of the putts I saw, uphill or downhill, in that 1960 coverage.

That's what I was talking about.

The story I remember is that in the 40s and 50s, the ryegrass overseed was very grainy and the greens were allowed to get very firm.

As a result, the downhill putts were smoking fast, perhaps as fast as bent. And it is the downhill putts of today that are most problematic.

I've been reading Cliff Roberts' book on the Augusta National and the section I read last night documents what and when  grasses were changed. (However, it was written in 1976, 4 years before bent conversion)

They did use several different overseeding combinations, and also changed to Tif 328 at one point.

I should have time tonight to retype some of those sections if anyone gives a hoot.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back