News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

The only impediment to low scores in the modern game
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
Firm greens.  We could be playing Augusta circa 2000 and it would still be kicking their butts. We have seen this from time to time on the tour, as well. Occasionally, somebody manages to firm up their greens, and then these guys really struggle. You could have a narrow 8000 yard golf course, but if it were soft, they could play it.

Joel_Stewart

Re:The only impediment to low scores in the modern game
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »
Jeff:

There is the added length.
A second cut of rough.
Added trees.
Very fast fairways.
Cold weather.
Lots of wind.

I agree that the fast greens are #1 in difficulty but this year I think it all adds up to make it very difficult.

Furthermore, this year the course was set up by Fred Ridley in a USGA type setup.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:01:29 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:02:25 PM »
Oh, really? Did they add trees and a second cut??? Is it cold? Is it windy?  I had no idea.

And I wasn't talking about pace....I was talking about hard, firm surfaces.  They could be British Open greens that roll at ten, but if they are firm and won't hold shots, that's what confounds the pros.  They can putt greens at 13 without batting an eye, if they are on them.  

Mark_Fine

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 08:52:19 PM »
Jeff,
I loved the firm conditions (though they sofened it up for today).  The added trees over the last several years, however, are overkill and need to be out of there.  They might make the course harder, but surely not better.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back