News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Bearden

You break a club like Tiger just did?
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:05:58 PM »
I've bent one but never broke one.

Tim Bert

Re:You break a club like Tiger just did?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
That looked painful.  Hard to focus through the shot knowing that is going to happen.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
How did it happen?

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »
He had a punch out that was tight against a tree. No way to make contact other than to smash the tree with the follow-through.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »
And followed with a great pitch for an all-world par.  And then 3-ft eagle on #13.  This is going to be a great finish!

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:54:42 PM »
Nice to see Tiger faced with the pressure of the chase that he normally reserves for others.

Zach is coming up huge!!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »
Jim,
I don't think it's worth taking the chance for anything less than the money, and the green jacket, that they're playing for today.  

Now, over the knee is another story.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:54:28 PM »
So how does CBS miss telling us what the club was, if he needed it later in the round, and if he ever got it fixed and back in his bag?

Doug Siebert

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 07:03:10 PM »
I broke an 8 iron like that once.  I knew it might happen though I was trying to avoid it.  It was SW distance, I hit the 8 iron so I wouldn't need as big of a swing and could still hold the green, but I wasn't able to stop the club in time.  The thing that sucked was that I was in Hawaii at the time, and had the rest of that day and one more day I had to play without my 8 iron!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Ron Farris

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 07:39:27 PM »
I didn't see Tiger break a club, but I broke 5 club in a month years ago.  Our family bought our first set of golf clubs when I was in the 7th grade - a set of Aluminum Shafts!!!  When I was 16 and playing golf on the Gumbo clay soils of South Dakota the aluminum shafts simply out lived themselves.  I broke 3 in one week just hitting shots.  

CHrisB

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »
So how does CBS miss telling us what the club was, if he needed it later in the round, and if he ever got it fixed and back in his bag?

Turns out it was a 4-iron, and that he needed it on #13. So instead he hits a hard hook 5-iron that rolls back to 4 feet for eagle(!).

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
I remember seeing a photo of Jack Nicklaus breaking a club playing out of the trees at Royal Hobart in the Australian Open, possibly in the early 70’s.

In my case, I was at my home course & had driven into the trees on the 17th with a good score going. I had the trunk of a tree on my follow through. My only two options were to play a full shot with a 6 iron over the bushes in front of me or chip out backwards about 50 yards. Remembering the photo I had seen of Nicklaus, I thought I would give the club breaking shot a go. I concentrated on making a full swing through the ball, making solid contact with the ball & the tree a split second later.

I watched the ball fly 150 yards to the front of the green, then looked down to my club to see the bottom 12 inches of the shaft & head dangle for a few seconds then drop to the ground.

I was surprised how little of the impact of the tree I felt. Maybe I timed the tree as well as I timed the ball.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »
I once had a head of a PW snap off in the middle of the hosel.  The metal actually snapped.  I had actually played with it for about 2 years, but some of it had to have been due to the fact that they were ladies clubs and I was growing out of them....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 09:02:33 PM »
The time(s) I did it, my swing was a little more upright...think Barry Bonds.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
If CBS is right and Tiger could have that club replaced during the round, why in the hell didn't he?  The guy's got an entourage bigger than a rap star, surely he could get one of them to run back to the Buick and grab him another 4 iron out of the spare set?

I guess the shot worked out, but what he'd been in a better position on 15, and had needed that 4 iron again and the hard 5 put him in the water and lost him the tournament?

I was thinking that the announcers sounded kind of stupid when he hit that shot and they were talking about him using a club "he knew he wouldn't need".  Ben Hogan might have known he could play a given day without a 7 iron, but no one else has ever been that precise.  There isn't any club he could be sure he wouldn't need as 13 and 18 pretty much cover his whole bag depending on how well and where he hits his drive.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 11:15:01 PM »
I know you are allowed to replace a club that is broken in play, but what are the rules regarding replacement.  Does the replacement have to be the EXACT club that was broken?  How do you define exact?  What if it was the same club, a 4 iron, but with a slightly different loft, lie or swingweight?  What if Tiger wanted to replace it with a 2 iron if he thought that he might need a 2 iron later in the round rather than a 4 iron?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back