News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Isn't this what we wanted?
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »
We like to complain about the "bomb and gouge" game in professional events and the concomitant lack of strategy.

Isn't it exciting to see the players trying hard to figure out where to put the ball on the green so that they can (please G-d!) TWO PUTT? That's strategic!

For me it's refreshing to see that PAR can still be king, as opposed to everybody going low by firing at the pins. Yes, it's US-Open-like, but I don't really mind.

The field is so bunched together this Sunday, that anything is possible.

Very exciting.

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Isn't this what we wanted?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »
Voytek,

Why does par matter?

As I understand, at the end of a stroke-play tournament, the golfer using the fewest number of strokes over a set number of holes wins.

What's par have to do with it?

Is there a logical answer to this question?
jeffmingay.com

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »
Jeff:

Of course par matters only in relation to something else.

In my post, I was trying to say that working hard for pars requires strategy and is more entertaining than bomb and gouge birdie-fests.

At least to me.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
Voytek,

As a golfer, I'm working hard at making the lowest score possible, not necessarily par.

My point is, thinking about golf relative to par results in a warped sense of the game.  
jeffmingay.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »
Par is important in tournament play so players can see where they stand in relationship with other players.
Nonetheless, I think the point is that a hole you make four  by hitting the tee shot  almost anywhere, put it on the green and two putt for par is fine. However, to see these guys have to shape a shot off the tee to get the best angle to the green, hit it to a particular quadrant of the green to give the best opportunity for par or birdie is fun is to watch.  Think of the skill it takes to think your way around the course, plan your strategy and then pull off the shots needed on a course where precicion is mandatory, showcases their talent.  The "rub of the green" has some real meaning at the Masters.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back