News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ari Techner

Courses to play in London?
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »
Just found out that I will be in London for 2 and a half days on the 19th.  I think I might have time for atleast 1 round.  I will not be able to travel far unfortunetly, what courses in the immediate London are should I seek out?  

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Courses to play in London?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:52:57 AM »
Ari have sent you an IM so please call if I can help. I'm away until the 15th.

At this time of year there's enough light to get round from 3.30/4pm.  It just depends what part of London you are staying/working in.  Most of the best courses are to the south west.  At the weekend you can get to the Kent Coast and back in a day with ease.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 02:53:44 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

RT

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 07:36:58 AM »
Ari,

Agree with Tony your best bet for one round is SW London, outside the M25 belt.

If you've one round I highly recommend Woking GC. You can get a direct train from Waterloo to Woking, then grab a taxi to the course.

Contact the club secretary, George Ritchie, and explain you are into golf course architecture, and he probably will have a sympathetic ear for you.  And we've been experiencing drier conditions as of late so it might hold out and offer some fine surfaces.

RT

Chris Cupit

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
Walton Heath, just south of London off the M25 is also very good and I would think they would be hospitable.  The pro used to be Ken Macpherson and if so, he is an absolute gentleman and great guy.

They had the '79 Ryder Cup and plenty of other events as well.  

Jon Earl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:28 AM »
Ari

You can get to the wonderful Addington in under 30 minutes from central London (15 minute train from London Bridge to East Croydon and 10 minute cab from there). Depending on the date, I might be able to join you.

Jon
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
I believe you can catch a train from Paddington Station to the village of Sunningdale. From the train station there, it is less than a mile to the 1st tee of both courses at Sunningdale. Both courses are highly recommended!!!  

Tom Birkert

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
The train to Sunningdale leaves from Waterloo, journey only takes about 45 mins.

I'd recommend Sunningdale (obviously!) and then agree about the likes of Walton Heath and Woking.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »
I would second Walton Heath.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 01:06:12 PM »
Just drive to Surrey and Berkshire and look for almost any course.  Sunnigdale, Wentworth, Swinley, St. George Hill, Walton Heath etc....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:07:28 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Gerry B

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 08:05:49 PM »
you cannot go wrong with the sunningdale / walton heath combo

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 02:03:15 AM »
I believe you can catch a train from Paddington Station to the village of Sunningdale. From the train station there, it is less than a mile to the 1st tee of both courses at Sunningdale. Both courses are highly recommended!!!  

Agree with David - you can easily do the 36 in a day.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:28:12 PM »
Ari,

Sunningdale is the pick of the bunch but expensive $400+ for a day. Walton Heath is superb and better value. The 3 W's Woking, West Hill & Worplesdon are all an easy train and short cab journey and around $150 for the day. The Addington is good value and a great course. The Kent coast is a 90 minute train journey.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back