News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Michigan - the head-scratching begins...
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »
Andy,

That would make sense since it coincides with the publication of Pioppi's book on nine holers.

Paul Richards

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
after a quick visit to Michigan, I am at an ever-more loss for how this state ranking ever came about ....
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Andy Troeger

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 05:02:04 PM »
Since this thread is back...I wanted to mention one correction.

The Michigan list has been updated online, as Point O'Woods should have been on the list at #11. It is now there, and everything below that has been dropped one spot, with 26 courses being included on the list. Wanted to mention that as I know that was one of the criticisms posted here.

FWIW, I think that's still lower than I would put it, but I'm glad to see its at least on the list!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
Paul,

Where did you play?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Paul Richards

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »
joe

unfortunately the weather cut my trip quite a bit short, but I visited Hawkshead, Tullymore, St. Ives and Pilgrims Run.

I had a great time and wished that I could have completed my trip.

I hope to make the 'rest' later this summer....
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 11:04:27 PM »
andy

thanks for the update

what 'excuse' did you get for the fact that Point O'Woods went 'missing' from the list?

it's better than #11 in my book as well - and it was #10 in the state as recently as 2005 - as well as #76 in the USA in 2003 - so I find it hard to believe that it was somehow 'forgotten' so quickly  ................   -  

Andy Troeger

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »
Paul,
That I do not know for sure...some kind of mathematical error I believe.

Will E

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
wow, I sure do see things a bit differently than the GD guys

I'll agree with most of Paul's comments.

FWIW here my top picks-

Crystal Downs
Dunes Club
Indianwood Old
Oakland Hills south
Franklin Hills
Black Forest
Kingsley
Radrick Farms
Lost Dunes

-I have not yet seen Greywalls-
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 09:27:03 AM by Shooter »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2007, 11:57:16 PM »

FWIW here my top picks-

Crystal Downs
Dunes Club
Indianwood Old
Oakland Hills south
Franklin Hills
Black Forest
Kingsley
Radrick Farms
Lost Dunes

Shooter, where do you slot Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes?

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »
Paul,

I know this topic is old; but, do you know which Wyndgate course is ranked: Eastwynd or Westwynd?  The only reason I ask is because the Westwynd is a solid course that I would put above several of the public courses on golf digest's list.  However, being that it is not the strongest list, that is not saying a whole lot.

Thanks,
Chris

PThomas

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2007, 04:41:52 PM »
 a correction in the June GD states POW was inadvertently left off the list, it should have appeared at No.11
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 05:10:18 PM »
a correction in the June GD states POW was inadvertently left off the list, it should have appeared at No.11

Thanks for that update.  The pro at Point of Woods is a great guy and deserves better.  It is nice someone still subscribes to Golf Digest so we can remain informed.

Jfaspen

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »

FWIW here my top picks-

Crystal Downs
Dunes Club
Indianwood Old
Oakland Hills south
Franklin Hills
Black Forest
Kingsley
Radrick Farms
Lost Dunes

Black Forest is a helluva good golf course.  Played it 2 weekends ago.  It perfects the concept of up-north golf without falling into the cliches that are embraced by many of the gaylord courses.  You won't see any ridiculous drop shot par 3's..  The only elevated tee shot that really catches you is the 18th, but it provides plenty of strategy as the golfer needs to carry more bunkers if he chooses the more aggressive line.

It was the only repeat we played this year on our annual golf trip and I have a feeling it'll appear every year.

Well done Tom.

jf

Matt_Ward

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
Tommy W:

If some guys absolutely hate The Kingsley Club -- please help me understand their tastes (shall I call it that?) in what they see as vastly superior golf courses.

Paul R:

The situation with the Michigan list is not simply isolated to one state -- it is part and parcel of a number of states in which the Digest raters weighed in with their results. There are numerous instances I can cite from my travels where clearly people are looking for certain aspects that are far different than what many people who post / lurk here prefer.

So be it.

Paul Richards

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 11:03:01 PM »
Matt

I totally agree

After this post on Michigan, I had every intention of posting other states that have similar 'issues'

However, in my disgust, I gave up and just realized that these state lists have many issues, and my posts won't change how awful they are

Except, perhaps, that my pointing out their 'oversight' of Point O'Woods may have gotten the attention of someone and they 'corrected' their error

Matt_Ward

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »
P.T.

Point O'Woods is only the tip of the iceberg -- check out the placement of Olde Stonewall among the best in Pennsy and The Ridge at Back Brook among the best six courses in the Garden State, to name just two well-thought out selections. The list is replete with such inclusions.

Mark Arata

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2007, 11:17:13 AM »
where is Indianwood Old in the state? I am supposed to drive up from Detroit to Traverse City to play Kingsley in July, is Indianwood on the way?

What else is there to play (public or resort) that is on the way from Detroit to Traverse City? I understand it is a 3 hour ride, I land at around noon or so......

Thanks in advance....

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
I've heard great things about Crystal Downs.  On a more serious note, if I am ever in Detroit I gotta go with Plum Hollow.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:27:28 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Jfaspen

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »
If I were driving from Detroit to Traverse and access wasn't a problem, I'd play Franklin Hills, Indianwood Old or Oakland Hills South.  I'd also try Crystal Downs, Arcadia Bluffs and Kingsley towards the northern end of the state.

Jeff

Mark Arata

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
Thanks for the info.....

Access is an issue.....and I am assuming that most of the courses you mentioned are private. Is there a public course on the way that anyone could recommend?

I am hopeful that the trip to Kingsley might include a round at Crystal Downs, but I am not for sure that it will. Is Arcadia Bluffs a public or resort course?

Has anyone on the board tried to access any of these places as a rater? (paying, of course)

Will E

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2007, 02:49:31 PM »

Shooter, where do you slot Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes?

Bill,
Arcadia is dramatic for sure. It's just not my cup of tea. Too much of the course looks like a guy showing off with a bull dozer for me to like it as much as some. There are some beautiful holes for sure, but for the most part it makes me dizzy.
Forest Dunes is one of the best conditioned courses I've ever played. I think that the architecture is very average;
therefore it doesn't make my short list.
Thanks for asking,
Will

Mark Arata

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »
Uh oh....couldnt you lose your posting rights for recommending an AH course?  ;D

Thanks for the help, I was thinking about trying U of M, just becuase I would like to see the campus and the stadium as well as the course......I think I will try for High Pointe on the way back....Need to add to my Doak collection!

thanks again for the help.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 04:31:41 PM »
You could play the following public courses on the way to traverse city (I second Shepherd's Hollow GC as Sean has already mentioned it is a very good Hills courses):

The Westwynd at Wyndgate (Oakland, MI)

or

Forest Dunes GC (Roscommon, MI)

or if you like Doak and depending on when you land,

Wilderness Valley - Black Forest (Gaylord, MI - mapquest says it is just under 3.5 hours from the airport)

SL_Solow

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32:52 PM »
Mark;  depending on your appetite for driving, if you go south down the lake after Traverse City (taking you by Kingsley) to I94 you get to the Benton Harbor area where you are in range of Lost Dunes, Point O Woods and the Dunes Club.  All private but probably doable with a little effort.  Then due east on I94 to Detroit.  If you can get on any or all of the courses its worth the detour.  Some pretty good restaurants in the immediate area too.

Mark Arata

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 07:56:15 PM »
thanks for the responses boys, I appreciate it....

Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread.....couldnt be helped  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back