News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Stankevich

Re:Best holes we can see from the air....
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 11:16:34 PM »
Approach or takeoff from West Palm Beach, FL is always fun to try and pick out courses because there are so many (as is the case with most Florida airports).  But the best part of Palm Beach flights is "sneaking" a look at Seminole.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »
I'm totally a window seat guy, and I love nothing better than golf course spotting in whatever city I'm flying into or out of..sort of a "name that course in less than 5 holes" type of deal and it's amazing how many great ones are readily identifiable.

BillV mentions Pine Valley, but he neglects to mention that one can also see Pine Hill quite well.  ;D

The most surprising and thrilling in my recollections included both Seminole and Medinah.   In both cases I had just come out of the hazy gauze known as airline sleep and peered out the window directly upon...each course respectively.

It was amazing how instantly recognizable each was, and it was also equally astounding how each sudden view stirred the blood.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:15 AM »
I have only flown in at night, to my knowledge, but Columbus can't be too bad can it? I don't know the proper plan for descent though.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 06:31:45 AM »
Heathrow often offers glimpses of many of the big-name heathland courses.  I flew to Luxembourg (there's a course adjoining the airport in Luxembourg) last week and had clear views of Wentworth (with all the PGA extras), St George's Hill, Walton Heath and, as we crossed the coast, Royal Cinque Ports.  The previous week I had flown to Spain from Heathrow and we took off over Swinley Forest and The Berkshire.  The usual flight path landing from the east takes you right over Royal Mid-Surrey.  On a shuttle flight from Heathrow to Manchester a few weeks ago we also started out towards the Berkshire and Swinley but made a sharp right turn which took us over Stoke Park and Beaconsfield before entering cloud.  

The usual approach to Manchester is from the east and you are likely to see Werneth Low, Romiley, Stockport, Cheadle and Gatley on the approach.  Taking off from Manchester for the States you will usually see some of the Cheshire/Lancashire coast courses and I have seen Hoylake, Wallasey, West Lancs, Formby, SandA, Hillside and Royal Birkdale from the air as well as Castletown (IOM) and Royal Co Down.  

Flying into JFK from Manchester once we came over Long Island and Shinnecock and The National were plainly visible.  Taking off from JFK for Manchester once we went out over Yale.

I noticed lots of courses flying in and out of O Hare but recognised none because they were all on rectangular or square sites.

Flying from Manchester to Amsterdam often takes a route along the north Norfolk coast and any of Hunstanton, RW Norfolk, Sheringham, R Cromer or Gt Yarmouth may be seen.

A couple of US airmen we met in St Andrews years ago had brought their Phantom from a German air base to Leuchars and had been given permission to fly up and down the coast to spot Carnoustie, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, Nairn and Dornoch - they didn't at that time know also about Montrose, Monifieth, Panmure, Murcar and all the other courses scattered along that fecund coast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back