News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re:Best greens in Scotland?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
Phil -

The Queen mum's "holiday home" was the Castle of Mey, on the north coast near Thurso. It was opened to the public a couple of years ago and is a very nice place to visit for an hour or two. Prince Charles visits occasionally and has been actively promoting a "Castle of Mey" line of foodstuffs produced by the locals in that area.

I have not played any of the courses north of Brora. Ronan Rafferty did do some work at Wick a few years ago. The course at Reay is supposed to have 10 or so very good links holes.

DT

Rich Goodale

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 11:45:30 AM »
The QM's holiday home was well north of Wick (if that's possible), near Mey, the smallest village in Scotland with it's own Gordon's Gin distributor.....

Phil McDade

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Reay is a Braid, I believe. I've heard it has a few good holes in the dunes, but generally flattish elsewhere.

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
Phil -

Braid may have been to Reay at some point, but Reay is not included or mentioned in the James Braid Golf Trail for the Highlands (Brora, Golspie, Fortrose & Nairn).

One of these years, I hope to get there.

DT

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 06:22:17 AM »
Ed:  That is a quote from me, of sorts ... when I first played the course ten years ago, I told our host Archie Baird that the course had some of the best designed greens in all of Scotland.  He has since repeated it elsewhere, including to John Atwood of T & L Golf who put it in his piece.

I would hate to have to pick the best set of greens in all of Scotland, in print.  The greens of Gullane 3 are pretty cool, but I was just trying to be a nice guest.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back