News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Peebles or Cardrosa
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »
A last minute request for information or tips on these two.

We're taking a long weekend at Peebles Hydro and I've been given a pass to go and play golf. The two courses nearby are Peebles (more established, shorter, not too much info on the website) and Cardrosa (a "Championship" course by Donald Steel at a nearby hotel.  I'm leaning towards Peebles but wondered if anyone here has played either of them and has any comments?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Chilver-Stainer

Re:Peebles or Cardrosa
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
Mark,

I’m not familiar with Cadrosa by Donald Steele near Peebles - but their is a Cadrona by David Thomas near Peebles opened in 2002.

It’s a long course with some long stretches from Green to Tee so take some energy drinks with you.

There are some interesting holes and Thomas’s large scale bunker moulding is reminiscent of the Roxburgh just a little further South from Peebles at Kelso.

If you are feeling strong in body, mind and wallet then Cadrona is the one for you - Roxburgh is worth the visit too.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »
Mark,
Peebles is olde worlde scottish golf. OTM or Braid, I think. It's a bit(!) hilly and fairly average, but an afternoon not wasted.
Cardrona (JC-S is right) - nice hotel, great food, good leisure complex. Golf course has maybe 6 good holes. VERY long and a bit hilly. Cart recommended (bet you never thought you'd hear a Scot say that!) Some horrible detailing, cookie cutter bunkering and THE worst par 5 I've ever played, but okay.
Roxburghe - much better all round. Some GREAT holes.
Other Borders golf: I quite enjoyed the Hirsel, hated Eyemouth, Kelso dull, a few others but nowt wonderful.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Alfie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
Mark,

May be too late (haven't been able to access gca.com for a couple of days ?) but I'd echo most of John and Martins advice.

Peebles IS quite hilly but a fair test while Cadrona has received some criticism in the past for being a bit soft underfoot. I believe they have been busily putting this to right though.

Another course well worth a round is at West Linton Golf Club but you'd have to check for visiting at weekends ? An excellent moorland course (IMO) and about 20 - 25 minutes from the Hydro.

Scenic countryside whichever way you go.

The Roxburghe is also improving year on year.

Alfie.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 11:22:03 PM »
Mr Bonnar esq.
And here was me thinking you knew Scottish Golf  :)

Peebles is actually a Colt .

I enjoyed Peebles and as you say its "olde worlde Scottish golf " , hilly with some lovely views overlooking the town .

I took a bunch of photos at Peebles , and I remember passing them on to Paul Turner , but I dont think they were posted on here . Shout if you want to see them .

Cant comment on Cardrona .

Brian

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
Mr Ewen!
You are indeed correct, dear sir. Although sounds like a Colt re-model ('33/'34) on an earlier ('08) course, so perhaps I am also correct, in part at least....
I have to confess it is maybe twenty years since I played her. At that time, I wouldn't have known a Harry Colt from a Harry Hill. ;D

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:46:06 AM »
I'm afraid I took one look at Cardrona (you are all correct,of course) and decided it wasn't for me.  The holes I could see looked long and flat with odd, mounded raised greens on just about every hole. The ground was soft so I think it would have been a slog.  Peebles was fun, still soft and no run but upon the hill with some lovely views, a couple of very good holes and some interesting short par 4s.  It's a Colt as Brian says and whilst not one of his greatest I'd certainly be happy to play it again.  One interesting feature is a double green (the 3rd and 7th I think) with the 7th (a short par 3) playing down the length of the green.

My wife and eldest son played Innerleithen, a 9 holer which, whilst flat, was also great fun and had another double green.  It appears to date from 1886 and has enough good golfers to have won the Mailon Sunday club championship a few years ago.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »
Mark
Thanks for posting a follow-up report , and I am sure you made the right desicion .

The Innerleithen GC you mention is listed as a Willie Park Snr.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 03:31:38 AM »
Mark
Thanks for posting a follow-up report , and I am sure you made the right desicion .

The Innerleithen GC you mention is listed as a Willie Park Snr.
Brian,

That's interesting.  For a small 9 holer Innerleithen gets the best it can from a relatively flat piece of land (albeit in the bottom of a very beautiful valley).  Having walked it while Lorna and Cameron played I'd be quite happy toplay there myself.

One other hole at Peebles is worth a mention.  The 15th (?) is a 430 yard par 4, the first 200 yards of which could be a ski slope and with really great views. Played straight into the wind (and with no run at all, even downhill) a really exhilarating challenge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back