News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Do you consider yourself one of the finest minds in golf?
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
I hope people understand that this thread was started in 2008.  I will say that I have seen nothing to change my opinion since then.  I don't think that Garland understands that most of the finest minds in golf make a good enough living in other ways that they can afford to give their opinions away.  Don't discount the generosity of public genius against the mediocrity of paid pablum.

Garland, please if you might, name five people who you would consider to be a finer mind for golf than me.  I would love to get a taste of what you consider great.  Let me just name two stances I took since 2008 and before I returned to this site that have proven my point.

1.  Upon the release of the Lockerbie bomber I called for a boycott of all things Scottish.  Proof of my stance can be found on both the Golfweek discussion boards and Twitter.  Anyone who has met me has heard my call and most witnessed my position against this tragedy.  I can not express how disappointed I am in the golf industry for ignoring this event.  I could not find a single mention in any coverage of last years Open held at St. Andrews.

2.  I joined Dismal River in November of 2009 before the current owners lead by Chris Johnston took over.  Anyone who has visited the course since that date will agree it was a stroke of genius.  Dismal is well on its way to be one of the great courses in the world.  

Clearly I am one of the finest minds in golf.  Any questions?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:43:30 PM by John Kavanaugh »

SL_Solow

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
I have avoided this thread for more than 2 years but I can no longer resist.  Two points;  1.  Being deemed one of the "finest minds in golf" is not such a terrific distinction.  2.  Garland, there are plenty of self admitted jerks who are accurate in their self-assesment.  If you need proof you can join me at a Bar Association conference.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »
I have avoided this thread for more than 2 years but I can no longer resist.  Two points;  1.  Being deemed one of the "finest minds in golf" is not such a terrific distinction.  2.  Garland, there are plenty of self admitted jerks who are accurate in their self-assesment.  If you need proof you can join me at a Bar Association conference.

Now that's funny.

Shel,

I was referring to real people.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

DMoriarty

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
No comment on the topic but I do love the phrase "the generosity of public genius."   Barney may be on to something there. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 12:21:03 PM »
Being deemed one of the "finest minds in golf" is not such a terrific distinction. 

Reminds me of a quick conversation I had with Jerry Reinsdorf, owner of the Bulls and White Sox in which I told him that he was the greatest team owner in Chicago sports history.  He acidly replied, "Sort of like being the world's tallest midget," and walked away, chuckling.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Nichols

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
2.  I joined Dismal River in November of 2009 before the current owners lead by Chris Johnston took over.  Anyone who has visited the course since that date will agree it was a stroke of genius.  Dismal is well on its way to be one of the great courses in the world.  

John:
I am not trying to tweak you, this is a serious question -- where do you have Dismal in your pecking order of great courses (however you measure greatness)?  What is holding it back from greatness, and what changes will enable it to get there.  I've never played Dismal (or anywhere in Sand Hills), and I am genuinely interested.

Sean_A

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »
Don't discount the generosity of public genius against the mediocrity of paid pablum.

JakaB

Not many folks on this site care much about what the punters think.  I think its a shame to discount the opinions of guys who actually hand money over the counter to play, but such is just not the way in our elitist sport.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:06:17 AM by Brian_Sleeman »

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
    I think limiting this thread to golf only demeans most of the egos here ... mine included.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

BUMP

Why?

Yes why bump this? This thread was dead from the very first post. Apparently John does not understand that claiming himself to be one of the finest minds in golf automatically disqualifies him from even remotely being considered so.

Admit it Garland.You are a closet McBride fan.JK has to be one of the finest minds in golf because I don't understand 75% of his posts.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »

BUMP

Why?

Yes why bump this? This thread was dead from the very first post. Apparently John does not understand that claiming himself to be one of the finest minds in golf automatically disqualifies him from even remotely being considered so.

Admit it Garland.You are a closet McBride fan.JK has to be one of the finest minds in golf because I don't understand 75% of his posts.

Anthony

You understand that could mean that you have one of the finest minds in golf, and he has one of the worst minds in golf, don't you?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »

BUMP

Why?

Anthony

You understand that could mean that you have one of the finest minds in golf, and he has one of the worst minds in golf, don't you?

I'm  not drinking merlot.

Anthony

John Kirk

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »
I'd like to have Garland disqualify me.  I'll wear it like a badge of honor.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
Anthony,

You can't understand 75% of JK's musings? I'm with you and I cannot even find the word "pablum" in my dictionary...does he mean Pablum the proprietary name for a breakfast cereal.  Methinks he means "pabulum" which gives me a better chance of understanding his recent gem but I'm still struggling!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »

John:
I am not trying to tweak you, this is a serious question -- where do you have Dismal in your pecking order of great courses (however you measure greatness)?  What is holding it back from greatness, and what changes will enable it to get there.  I've never played Dismal (or anywhere in Sand Hills), and I am genuinely interested.

Carl,

I've played a few great courses and have visited some of the finest regions in the country for golf.  Given that I live in Southern Illinois I believe the Sand Hills region is the greatest place where I could ever go around a half dozen times a year to play. (If I am lucky) That being said, I took a road trip on the eve of my 50th birthday (October 2009) looking to give myself a treat by joining a course in the Sand Hills.  Ballyneal was too expensive and Sand Hills is invitation only so I left on the trip thinking I would join The Prairie Club under the Founders program they were then offering at that time.  I don't recall when I called Dismal asking if I could come by for a peek on my way to play Wild Horse after touring TPC but believe it may have been during my drive.  This was before Chris Johnston and his group bought Dismal as it was being operated by Troon Golf.  The very young man who was pro at the time surprised me when he said I could come by and spend the night at Dismal during my journey and take a look at the course despite the fact that they were closed for the winter.  He also said that I might want to consider joining Dismal instead of whatever my other options may be. 

My day consisted of driving from Omaha to Valentine and touring all 46 holes at TPC then driving to Dismal with about an hour of daylight remaining.  It may be because I am in the road business, I really really love roads of all shapes and sizes, but the 17 mile one lane paved road into Dismal is on of the great drives in all of the world.  Its like being on a roller coaster when you are old enough to understand the carnies who put together the rails have nothing to lose.  By the time I reached the parking lot I was sold.

I ended up having time to play 4 or 5 holes, without cups or pins, and driving around a bit.  I did insist on seeing the 10th because it was rather famous and was not disappointed. 

I only went through that story because it was my choice to join Dismal under the old ownership during the winter when I had no guarantee that they would even open next year that I am most proud.  I am not the first person to fall in love with the land of the region and I will not be the last.  I suppose you could say that I got lucky that new owners who honored my agreement came in and saved the club.  Few people do have my luck day in and day out.  Maybe it was turning 50 and all that comes with that, up tees, lesser competition or lower expectations, but last year was clearly the best year of my golfing life and the choice to join Dismal played a major role in that fact.

You asked where the course falls in all those I have played.  I can best describe Dismal in an imaginary world where Bandon Dunes is private and just been built.  You have great land, a great owner and the potential for future great courses.  Looking back, who wouldn't join Bandon in that model? 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »
...  Let me just name two stances I took since 2008 and before I returned to this site that have proven my point.

Clearly I am one of the finest minds in golf.  Any questions?

I really really love roads of all shapes and sizes, but the 17 mile one lane paved road into Dismal is on of the great drives in all of the world.  Its like being on a roller coaster when you are old enough to understand the carnies who put together the rails have nothing to lose.  By the time I reached the parking lot I was sold.

Folks,

Make sure you examine the road before you join a course. Makes all the difference in the world! "Great" minds say so.
:P

Mac Plumart

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
Frankly, the drive in is pretty sweet.  And once you finally get there you never want to leave...at least I didn't. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kirk

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »

I'm breaking out Professor Frink once more.  After yesterday's blast of unhappiness, I'm in full image restoration mode.  As one of the great minds of golf, of course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back