News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Eastward Ho! yardage guide is published
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:21:23 PM »

With gratitude to Brian Hamilton, Ran Morrissett, Mike Sweeney, Adobe, Google, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts I am pleased to announce the publication of Eastward Ho! - Yardage Guide.

I am very sick of looking at these pictures and it feels good to share them. If I have said I would send you one, it will be there soon. If you would like to support the Eastward Ho! pro shop and Green Light Special, just call 508-945-0620 and they will take a telephone order.

Please note the obstacles for anyone who wants to drive the ball 280 yards, which are also featured on the second, third, fifth, and seventeenth holes. I commend Herbert Fowler for directly addressing the reality of technological progress. If you want to reach the modest par fives in two, you will have to do so blindly from the bottom of a sinkhole. Three times!

The stimulation of golfclubatlas.com helped me work later on many a cold winter night. Thanks.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

noonan

Re:Eastward Ho! yardage guide is published
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »
Great pics.

With all due respect the true long hitters will bomb it over the 280 yard bunkers into another wide spot.

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:11:27 PM »
Jerry,
How many times have you played Eastward Ho! ? Since Foster's work?

Michael -
Great work. Assuming that you get your aerial photography from Google. How do you deal with the licensing, etc. And as far as the yardage, do you simply rely on the measurements Google give you? If so, do you have any independent ways of verifying?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:16:47 PM by SPDB »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
I think they look great.
Will you be looking forward to your next round there?
What else did you learn from above?

I'll have to get one from Greenlight.
Who is they?  Do you have a staff?
I like the website also.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Michael Moore

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:23:31 AM »
SPDB -
I get the photographs out of the public domain, measure with software, and confirm everything on the ground.

Nuzzo -
I am booked for an early August visit, and I hope to be triangulating with some golfclubatlas.com folks. The number I gave is for the Eastward Ho! pro shop, sorry for the confusion. Green Light Special is currently just me - however, I am about to send my extremely charming wife out to visit some stubborn prospects.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Noel Freeman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »
Very nice work.. If ever it was harder to convey terrain changes in a yardage book, Eastward Ho! would win the prize...  I look forward to buying a guide when I take on Ran in a match there this year... He's already begging for strokes.

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
Great stuff, Michael... much more engaging than the run-of-the-mill guides.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:28:47 AM by James Morgan »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:53:20 AM »
Good graphics, Michael.  Can you show us some text?

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:59:36 AM »
Nice going, Michael.  I wish you continued success.

SPDB

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
Noel - I was going to say the same thing. It might be contributing to Jerry Kessler's misunderstanding.

Let me know when you'll be up at Eastward Ho, maybe I will try to coordinate.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »
Michael — I recall that True Distance (used to be out of Texas, I believe) once has a U.S. Patent on the "arc denotation" system for depicting golf holes on guides and publications, including use on photographs and diagrams. This is why you rarely saw arcs used to show yardages from a given point...Tryue Distance was very aggressive in preventing use of their patent. I assume that U.S. Patent is now expired...do you know?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
excellent work; just hoping more places will do it this way as opposed to some of the cartoons put forth.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back