News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Between Sacramento and the Sierra Nevadas
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:49:53 AM »
In late June, my wife and I are attending a wedding in Cali.  

Which three courses between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe should I play?

Matt_Ward

Re:Between Sacramento and the Sierra Nevadas
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
James M:

If you can access try Morgan Creek and Winchester. Both are well done and are just outside of Sacramento. Klye Philips did Morgan Creek and Winchester is from the hand of RTJ, Jr., if memory serves.

If you venture further up in the mtns try Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood is a worthy back-up. Both are available to the public.

One other fine choice -- albeit that its' private -- keep Lahontan on the radar screen. One of the 2-3 best solo Tom Weiskopf courses I've played.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »
James M:

If you can access try Morgan Creek and Winchester. Both are well done and are just outside of Sacramento. Klye Philips did Morgan Creek and Winchester is from the hand of RTJ, Jr., if memory serves.

If you venture further up in the mtns try Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood is a worthy back-up. Both are available to the public.

One other fine choice -- albeit that its' private -- keep Lahontan on the radar screen. One of the 2-3 best solo Tom Weiskopf courses I've played.

Matt - could you pls explain a bit why you liked Lahotan so much, thanks
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
I haven't played up there, James, but I hear Dark Horse in Auburn is pretty good. Others I've heard are pretty good are The Dragon at Nakoma and Plumas Pines. I think the Bay Area boys can shed some more light on courses up there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
Apple Mountain, Morgan Creek, and Dark Horse are the best of the region IMHO and experience. Other good options are Turkey Creek, Catte Verdera and Wildhawk.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Paul:

I liked the property and I think Weiskopf did a superlative job in the overall pacing of the different holes. Keep in mind, with elevation there's a tendency for the long holes to have less of a role and you need to add some bit of cleverness with the shorter holes. Weiskopf did that with Lahontan.

To give you just one example -- the short par-4 9th is a peach of a hole. Here you need to think very carefully about power and placement. Weiskopf has been known to overplay the desire to have a driveable short par-4 but in this particular case it works so well -- in terms of its overall design and how it deviates from the holes that come immediately before and after it.

I also relished the wherewithal to throw a solid combo of holes at the end and to do without worrying about how the application of par would apply to such a conclusion. I can't recall playing any course where the end comes with a 4-4-3-3-5-5 ending.

Lahontan for me was enjoyable and in so many ways demonstrates how Weiskopf can offer something that will keep the attention of the club member he is seeking to entertain. I liked what Weiskopf did with another solo effort with Hassayampa in the greater Prescott, AZ area -- but Lahontan for me was going even one step further.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
Granite Bay (in Folsom, east of Scaramento) is a private club and a Kyle Phillips/Mark Parsinen venture. They used to allow public play on Mondays. If Monday might work you, give the club a call and see if they still allow public play on that day.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »
Of what I've played, would recommend Darkhorse. Granite Bay is closed but accepts reciprocal play (you're better to continue up the road to Darkhorse anyway).

I've not played Lahontan and Dragon but have been told they're both quite solid.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »
I think Wildhorse (my design) has fallen on some hard times, but has a new owner trying to improve it.  If you want one low cost option in there, this would be pretty good.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
Twelve Bridges was very nice back in...1997, I think. How's it looking now?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
The Dragon has a few holes of note but the front nine features, I'll be a bit diplomatic, a very contrived front side. Coyote Moon is the better public alternative if you're on I-80 and in the mountains IMHO.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »
Matt & Matt -

Twelve Bridges (which I have played & liked) is now a private club, with an Italian sounding name.

I am pretty sure The Dragon went bankrupt last summer and closed. I don't know if it will open for play this summer.

DT

Tim Leahy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »
I have played most of the courses down the I-80 from Reno to Sacto and I would advise you to play Coyote Moon or Old Greenwood in Truckee, they are right across the freeway from each other, if you walk I would choose Greenwood. The Dragon near Grey Eagle is my favorite but it is about an hour away from I-80. Further down the road in Auburn I would choose Dark Horse and The Ridge. Near Sacramento the best is Catta Verdera(formerly Twelve Bridges now semi private), Turkey Creek and Ancil Hoffman Park(very good old muni). If you have private access then Lahontan in Truckee, Winchester in Auburn and Granite Bay are by far the best. I wouldn't go out of my way for Morgan Creek.
If you come to Sacto from Tahoe via Highway 50 then don't miss Apple Mountain near Placerville, Empire Ranch in Folsom and Rancho Murieta if you have private access.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
Can anyone who is familiar with the area speak about the latest situation at Plumas Lake ?

This is a layout north of Sacramento in Marysville and I have to say it had when I was there on two different occasions the finest conditioned greens for such a rather ho-hum layout -- a few holes of note.

In fact, years back Digest had it rated among the best public courses in the country and that's what brought me there in the first place. However, I didn't view it in the same way the magazine's raters did.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »
Matt, Plumas used to be known for its great greens, then got flooded about 8 years ago and was entirely under water and has never recovered to the old conditions. Layout is fun, tree lined with ditches in play, short but challenging, very easy to walk and inexpensive but not worth going out of the way for.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
Tim:

Many thanks.

Yes, the green conditions when I was there on two different times were simply first rate -- as good as anything one can putt on given the stature of most public courses.

Sorry to hear about the down turn.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »

'Twelve Bridges' is now known as 'Catte Verdera.'

Also, The Dragon has closed its doors from what I hear.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »
Forgive my contributions but it's a grey day in Santa Barbara and the pub dosen't open 'till 4.........

Morgan Creek
Apple Mountain
The Dragon
Granite Bay

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 03:49:01 PM »
Matt Cohn -

Twelve Bridges (in Lincoln, CA) was an LPGA tour stop for a number of years. It is now a private club call Catta Verdera CC.

www.cattaverdera.com

DT

Tim Leahy

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »

'Twelve Bridges' is now known as 'Catte Verdera.'

Also, The Dragon has closed its doors from what I hear.

The Dragon will reopen May 1, 2007 per their website at Nakomagolfresort.com

JMorgan

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 07:28:56 PM »
Thanks for the terrific recommendations.  I appreciate it.  Please keep them coming.

Jeff, I'll definitely try to make a trip to Wildhorse.  (You need to build a few courses in the Northeast.)

Aidan, great pics!

Here's a follow-up question:  Are there any Bell, Jr. courses in the area worth pursuing?  Unlike his father, he tends to get lambasted here.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:33:19 PM by James Morgan »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »
If you don't mind heading a wee bit south, then Saddle Creek in Copperopolis is a great stop as well IMO.

I've played it twice and it has many noteworthy holes..

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 10:03:57 PM »
I think I have played everyone of all the courses mentioned and would have to agree with Matt Ward.  I would add Del Paso CC in Sacramento which is private but you can probably talk your way on.

The Dragon is one of the most penal courses I have ever played and would not suggest you make that trip.  I would ask any person who is suggesting it if they had any fun?  The Dragon is one course that when I walked off the 18th I vowed never to return.

In Lake Tahoe there is also Old Greenwood a new Nicklaus course just down the road from Coyote Moon.  I would also suggest Incline Village in North Lake Tahoe since it has been rebuilt by Kyle Phillips and is better than ever.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back