News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Oklahoma CityCC or Dornick Hills (Maxwell)
« on: March 24, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
I  would appreciate thoughts on the routing, green contours
and state of preservation, on these vintage courses   by
the great designer  Perry Maxwell. thanks

cary lichtenstein

Re:Oklahoma CityCC or Dornick Hills (Maxwell)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:23:14 PM »
I  would appreciate thoughts on the routing, green contours
and state of preservation, on these vintage courses   by
the great designer  Perry Maxwell. thanks

Dornock Hills was a tad dissappointing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:50:13 PM »
Paging Chris Clouser ...

Neither one is terribly well preserved from Maxwell's day.  Dornick Hills was substantially changed and the greens rebuilt ... Jeff Brauer can speak to that ... but there are still a couple of unique Maxwell holes.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »
Yes, Dornick has changed - several times.

Most of the greens were rebuilt in house in the 50's.  It seems someone at the club just got tired of some of the Maxwell contours.  Or, perhaps the greens were in decline.  No one there remembered at the time.  For that matter, they couldn't find any plans when we got there.  I was surprised to see Chris finally got one.

There is still a large depression where an Alps Hole style angled bunker sat in 10 fw.  Trees have been planted everywhere.  I think other than the second, the routing is intact.

Dick Nugent was hired to modernize in the 80's sometime, just after I left their firm.  Jim Engh was in charge of the project, if I recall, and they only had money for the front nine.  For whatever reason, they weren't thrilled with the work, and yet we were hired to match it when they did the back nine, under the reasoning that we were closest to the job, and with my training under Dick, the match would be closest.  We really only did the greens on the back nine under a limited budget.

I drove by the perimet of OKCC a few years ago, and the parts I saw looked like the Maxwell was still there.  It wasn't an extensive review, owing to time, though.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back