News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re:Name the course/architect (pics, couple of clues in latest post)
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
The "on thread" prize goes to Mr. Stamm....

These holes are not exactly part of the Hanover CC course, but they are part of it's facilities, as I have alluded to.  They are the "practice holes" across Lyme road from the middle part of the main course, remodeled recently by Ron Prichard.

Ralph Barton is the designer of record, as this nine complemented the proper 18, but was "abandoned" in the 70s as it was becoming too dangerous to continually cross Lyme Rd. twice to and from this part of the course.  Of course, the driving range still is on the far side of the street, as well as these holes, but I digress...  Barton's story is generally well-known as the Dartmouth mathematics professor turned GCA who later worked with Seth Raynor and Charles Banks.  

Prichard used a few of this nine's old corridors on the other side of Lyme Rd., but his new holes in this area are totally new creations.

There are four greens on the aerial, with six generally accepted holes to play, although cross-country or choose-your-own-adventure golf is certainly possible.  

The vertical line is a hole about 130 yards, downhill. (pic 2)

The hole going to the far left greensite is about 360 yards (pic 1)

The hole returning to the first green is about 320. (pic 4)

The long hole at the bottom is about 490 yards, and uphill.  There is a small creek jutting out into the fairway at about 230 off the tee, as well as another crossing the fairway 100 yards short of the green.  The Yale bunker's floor is about 20 feet below the green, where the Dartmouth team practices (or used to, judging from its condition on my last visit) before the tournament in New Haven. (pic 3)

The hole starting near the long hole green plays through a notch in the trees to a totally blind landing area, but the hole is under 300 yards.  It crosses the first short hole, and the green is very small, sloped, and pushed up.

The last hole would be a "par 3" of about 190-200 back to the bunkered green.  This shot would drop 40-50 feet, as the "tee is at the highest point of the area.

The course is supposedly for members only (Hanover CC is semi-private) but this would include students and faculty.  I am neither and never have been, but during the two or three late-afternoon go-rounds I've had here, all I've gotten is waves.  If you get up to Hanover CC, do not miss the practice holes!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:51:35 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris_Blakely

Re:Name the course/architect (pics, clues, aerial, Solved!)
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 03:05:26 PM »
Based on those 3 holes, I need to try and play a couple of Ralph Barton's courses, especially CC of Greenfield.

Thanks for the pictures.

Adam Sherer

Re:Name the course/architect (pics, clues, aerial, Solved!)
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 08:02:10 PM »
Brad:

That's definitely an obscure reference! I was born in that town and I didn't know that it was Hanover.
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back